Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
If it's got an ECU, I'm out. I'm carbs and analog .... you can have yer robut bikes. I want a throttle cable connected to a carb slide, and nothing fekkin' with the engine except my right hand. Brakes just as well. I am the one who decides what the motorcycle is going to do, not some programmer in Italy or anywhere else for that matter. Success or failure is 100% on me.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Anti lock brakes would be ok, I guess. They’ve save quite a few animal lives on my Corvette when I worked midnight shift. Sometimes you have no time to do anything but steer and hit the brakes hard and with anti lock brakes you can do both together.

·
Sophomore Member
2,880 Posts
No thanks to anything in the Diavel lineup. Not my cup of tea. No to any of the monsters. I understand their significance in Ducati’s lineup, but never liked them. Not crazy about the Hypermotard either- ever since it went to WC. Meh, stay off my lawn.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Anti lock brakes would be ok, I guess. They’ve save quite a few animal lives on my Corvette when I worked midnight shift. Sometimes you have no time to do anything but steer and hit the brakes hard and with anti lock brakes you can do both together.
Y'know, I really took a "time out" on this one to really give it some thought before I responded. I'd read your post yesterday but sat on a reply until this morning. Here's what I think about this;

Anti lock brakes are really a wonder of wonders. The person that initially came up with the notion deserves a medal. I'm serious. In fact the entire idea of pulsing energy to the tire(s) (whether that be in the braking system or power delivery system control) has changed how we think about traction, braking, and power application ... but mostly traction (keeping the tires adhered to the road) is the sortof epicenter of the idea. I know that ~pulsing~ of power is what made the HD XR750s successful on dirt tracks since the power pulses of the HD engine were separated by 22 degrees, and then nothing for the remainder of the crank rotation. It allowed time for the rear tire to stick to the track between pulses. So the notion obviously works.

But here's the rub ... while I totally 100% agree that anti lock brakes on motorcycles have probably saved a number of people from themselves (which is really what ABS does) and without any doubt it is a modern improvement on motorcycles in every way. I guess when I remove all of the rationale I've tried to apply here, it comes down to wanting to be able to predict how the motorcycle will respond to my inputs, without anything moderating my choices. I'm not used to that so I don't expect that when I ride a motorcycle. Like many, I've developed the reactionary skills to do several things at once without upsetting the chassis too much. Those skills came from decades of riding without ABS and traction control. Literally millions of repetitive motions and responses over the years. I'm not over confident, I work hard not to be, I've watched men lose their lives right before my eyes due to their over confidence. But in the end I suppose I ride a motorcycle for pretty specific reasons, none of which involve anti lock brakes or other moderations. I just like the more natural connection between rider, bike, and road. But then again, that's just me (and I get that).

Yea ... that's nice .... there we go ... I'm happy with that description. I kinda have to be, I worked on it for over an hour! Geez!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I wouldn’t buy a multi either. Not a fan of the styling, and it’s too tall . Plus , the idea of a bunch of middle age men riding around on 500 # pseudo dirt bikes with luggage is just ludicrous. I see them at the bike events wearing glorified coveralls with their com systems on their helmets looking like a full page ad in a bike magazine. Knobby tires that will never see dirt. Gives me a chuckle every time.
I've done a fair bit of dirt on my air-cooled multi - not super hard core but it will go a lot of places. Honestly I don't think it's the most beautiful bike either but for people who want a bike that can do pretty much everything reasonably well and aren't in a position to buy and insure a garage full of different bikes, the multi is a lot of bike. Just sayin'. The Multi has always been love-it or hate-it, and I can point you to just as many posers through the years on 996/998/999/1098/1099's in front of coffee shops wearing $2500 worth of leather that will never see a scuff.

·
Registered
Ducati Monster S4R '04
44 Posts
But here's the rub ... while I totally 100% agree that anti lock brakes on motorcycles have probably saved a number of people from themselves (which is really what ABS does) and without any doubt it is a modern improvement on motorcycles in every way. I guess when I remove all of the rationale I've tried to apply here, it comes down to wanting to be able to predict how the motorcycle will respond to my inputs, without anything moderating my choices. I'm not used to that so I don't expect that when I ride a motorcycle. Like many, I've developed the reactionary skills to do several things at once without upsetting the chassis too much. Those skills came from decades of riding without ABS and traction control. Literally millions of repetitive motions and responses over the years. I'm not over confident, I work hard not to be, I've watched men lose their lives right before my eyes due to their over confidence. But in the end I suppose I ride a motorcycle for pretty specific reasons, none of which involve anti lock brakes or other moderations. I just like the more natural connection between rider, bike, and road. But then again, that's just me (and I get that).
This is exactly the way I feel. I want to ride, not be along for the ride. I understand that these improvements may be attractive to many and I respect that. More so when motorcycles are being made with so much power (perhaps too much...) that it would be negligence to sell them without all these electronic aids. But I’d rather have the understanding, the predictability and symbiosis with my machine. I think of it as growing up as a rider. Being more aware, self-controlled and mature with my skills, or lack thereof. This is also coming from someone to whom the bitter taste of lowsiding a new motorbike is very familiar. ABS would have saved from it then, but what I was really lacking was experience and training. Grew from it, practiced the same situation many times instead of refraining from it, thankfully never happened again.

Great post by the way. Glad you took the time. This thread has actually been very entertaining to read 👍

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
....I got your point however these guys would maybe want a few rider aids
me, well there is an off button and no electronic wizardry will save you from a lack of mechanical grip

·
Registered
Ducati Monster S4R '04
44 Posts
....I got your point however these guys would maybe want a few rider aids
me, well there is an off button and no electronic wizardry will save you from a lack of mechanical grip
Yes, I agree 😂 But when is a few, too much? Great documentary by the way. I’ll finish watching the rest later 👌

·
Registered
362 Posts
Any Diavel.. truly awkward design and YO, just buy a Harley! X-Diavel, on the other hand, I'm tempted by.

And all V-4s except a true Desmosedici.. because theyre fat at north of 400 lbs, and needlessly complex$$$ - I'll stay with a mere 1198, thanks! If you need this level of tech to keep the shiny side up on a street bike, youve lost the plot:
  • ABS Cornering Bosch EVO
  • Ducati Traction Control EVO (DTC EVO)
  • Ducati Slide Control (DSC)
  • Ducati Wheelie Control EVO (DWC EVO)
  • Ducati Power Launch (DPL)
  • Engine Brake Control EVO (EBC EVO)
Nice list, but your comment makes zero sense.

Basically, what you're saying is you'd prefer a calculator (1198 with primitive traction control) to a computer... ok. If you're a purist tout something without fuel injection and electronics.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Any Diavel.. truly awkward design and YO, just buy a Harley! X-Diavel, on the other hand, I'm tempted by.

And all V-4s except a true Desmosedici.. because theyre fat at north of 400 lbs, and needlessly complex$$$ - I'll stay with a mere 1198, thanks! If you need this level of tech to keep the shiny side up on a street bike, youve lost the plot:
  • ABS Cornering Bosch EVO
  • Ducati Traction Control EVO (DTC EVO)
  • Ducati Slide Control (DSC)
  • Ducati Wheelie Control EVO (DWC EVO)
  • Ducati Power Launch (DPL)
  • Engine Brake Control EVO (EBC EVO)
you have that arse about mate....
The Diavel ( an awesome bike by the way) is the sportier one, the X diavel has the forward controls really low seat and the Harley type sitting position. Their Diavel was an experiment and a bit of a toe in the water to see if they could entice the cruiser crowd on to one, i know, i have one and when i bought it i got all sorts of e-mails and even a phone call from someone at the factory welcoming me to the "family" ???? WTF? i've owned about 8 Ducatis......

I would not consider a V4 in any version because while it's a progression for the racing it's a deviation on the history and the "soul" (yeah i know, sounds like a wank...) of Ducati, but i just LOVE twins, proper twins, not 60 degree puss.
My AMG Diavel, soooo much fun!
26962077_1942964825967433_3721331433098568805_o.jpeg

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,325 Posts
If it's got an ECU, I'm out. I'm carbs and analog .... you can have yer robut bikes. I want a throttle cable connected to a carb slide, and nothing fekkin' with the engine except my right hand. Brakes just as well. I am the one who decides what the motorcycle is going to do, not some programmer in Italy or anywhere else for that matter. Success or failure is 100% on me.
Agree so close to 100% on what you posted.
The 2001 900SSie has "electronic carbs" (15M ECU) and would not swap it for anything and will never sell it!
Simple electronics - air temp, engine temp, air pressure, throttle position etc. No rider "aids"
I can tune/modify without having to frig around with jets, float bowls etc.
Via ScanST I can log AFR and tune to my heart's content if and when I want to.
No immobiliser etc. which look be a PITA.

Reactions: Aguiar

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I really like my FI bikes ( Busa, S4RS) because of the ability to run well when cold. I like my older carby bikes ( 900SS, ‘77 Bonny, 00 Superglide) because they are easier to work on, at least with my skill set. I wouldn’t mind if I had anti lock brakes on any of them, though I feel I’m very good at brake modulation on my own. My main objection to owning a bike full of gizmos is I feel that , at some point, you are not in control of the bike anymore. You are a passenger. I want to be in control through mechanical means and do my own thinking, my own riding. I’m getting older, I’m sure my reflexes are crap and electronic assist might help.
As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve reached my “ Amish Moment “ where I’ve drawn the line on new bike technology. I don’t have any desire for more “help“ riding a motorcycle.

Reactions: Aguiar

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
It’s an old debate about progress or what some consider not progress at all. Some guys figure rowing a stick is manly others are all about paddle shifters. I always believed in the KISS principle. However, having said that, electronic assistance doesn’t diminish the riding experience anymore than power steering ruins a car.
Of course that level of sophistication is just one more expensive repair. But I’ll take fuel injection all day long, won’t back down on that. At the end of the day, they can’t eliminate stupid, or similar to my buddy’s comment on 4wd, go further, get stuck deeper.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts