Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided I will be looking into trading in my BMW K1600 for the Multistrada as I can't stop thinking about this bike. For one I love the looks and two I would love to have a touring bike that comes in at less than 500 lbs and is stupid fast!

So basically I have ruled out the standard version as the Ohlins is a must for me. I will be using the bike for mainly 2 up day trips with a bit of touring. I can't decide between the sport or touring. Is the only difference is one has carbon goodies and the other has panniers? Or is there something else? I love all the carbon on the sport and wonder if it's more economical to buy the sport and then get panniers and top case or is it better to get the touring and then buy the carbon...any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also is there anything new on the 2012 that isn't on the 2011?

·
Super Moderator
6,130 Posts
I opted for the PP, added heated grips and keyless gas cap. Love it. Considered the center stand but read that it is cumbersome so skipped it, though it would be nice to have in some situations. I carry a kickstand plate for soft asphalt and dirt, has worked fine so far. You can't go wrong. The ABS rocks. And yes, its' stupid fast.:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pikes peak is nice and I'm torn on the paint job. I have always lusted for that Ducati red. I was worried the pikes peak wouldn't have adequate wind protection for touring what is your opinion on that. Both of our helmets are Shuberth C3s if that helps.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The touring comes with center stand panniers and heated grips. The sport does not. On a side note to add the factory heated grips requires the dealers computer to enable the heated grip controls in the ecm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
181 Posts
get the touring as the goodies are worth 'more' in terms of praticality and re-sale value. The touring has the heated grips also which are actually probably the thing you will use/thank the most (plus center stand).

the carbon you can always add later and buy from different/cheaper/higher quality suppliers - same applies to getting a better/shorter/higher screen that suits you exactly - even buying the shorty pikes peak screen.

(you can fit the carbon usually yourself, the other bits you get on the touring usually need a trip to the dealer so thats another reason to save on costs)

I would consider other extras at time of purchase or at least negotiate a discount with the dealer :

servicing costs - try a percentage/something thrown in - even if its just a couple of free minor oil services

the rear box - good quality and will be a good backrest for your partner if you are doing some tours - good to get a discount at purchase and plus get it fitted as part of the sale.

the touring seats Fr and Re- they look better than standard

if you can afford it - the full termi system and ecu (dont bother with the stubby) - but to be honest the standard setup is good also.

bugs

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have heated grips on the BMW and have never used them. Coldest I have seen it where I live is mid 50s. I don't ride the passes or foothills during the winter and usually just keep my winter riding along the coast and around the lakes. But something to think about just in case I did get a cold weather urge. I am skeptical about the center stand as my current bike has one and I never use it the only purpose it serves is to tell me I am at the very edge of my tires lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
get the touring as the goodies are worth 'more' in terms of praticality and re-sale value. The touring has the heated grips also which are actually probably the thing you will use/thank the most (plus center stand).

the carbon you can always add later and buy from different/cheaper/higher quality suppliers - same applies to getting a better/shorter/higher screen that suits you exactly - even buying the shorty pikes peak screen.

I would consider other extras at time of purchase or at least negotiate a discount with the dealer :

servicing costs - try a percentage/something thrown in - even if its just a couple of free minor oil services

the touring seats Fr and Re- they look better than standard

if you can afford it - the full termi system and ecu (dont bother with the stubby) - but to be honest the standard setup is good also.

bugs
Thanks for the advice it actually makes a bunch of sense. I was also thinking about seat comfort and the comfort seats look really good.

·
Registered
293 Posts
On the center stand...... if I remember right you current/old bike has a shaft drive? The Multi is a chain, and a center stand is very helpful for cleaning and lubing the chain, especially if you do any multi day touring.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very true and that never crossed my mind. Been a couple years since I have had to worry about a chain.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the touring might be the way to go. Now hopefully one of my local dealers won't rape me too hard on the K1600.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I got the sport. This was for 2 reasons. This was all I could get at the time and a Touring was a 8 week wait - no chance. The second reason is that I an fond, no, overly fond of carbon. In a sexual way.........:D

I ticked a whole bunch of expensive boxes and got panniers, top box, heated grips, centre stand, comfort seats. Added a Garmin Zumo660, Laminar lip to the screen, spaced the screen, spaced the bars up a bit, added a merit socket to charge the battery, Barkbusters, spotlights and I have a well farkled bike thast does not look particularly farkled. Interesting in that I have not really fiddled with it in a year. I ride it every day and I have it pretty much sorted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My challenge will be trying to leave it alone. I have a hard time not changing things all the time. What bothers me most Is I usually end up going right back to stock afterwards and losing my ass reselling the parts I bought. After countless bikes I have yet to learn my lesson.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
what do YOU want YOUR bike to have on it?

i've owned both a sport and touring, would do the touring again if i had to.

at the end of the day, you can make each one look and function like the other.

enjoy the hunt,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For my purposes the touring is exactly what I need. My only concern was if there was any other neat features that the sport has vs the touring. For instance on the K16 the difference between the GT and the GTL is riding position is more sporty on the GT and it has a higher speed limiter vs the GTL. I don't want to get a bike that is limited in performance in exchange for a few touring luxuries.

·
Registered
545 Posts
For my purposes the touring is exactly what I need. My only concern was if there was any other neat features that the sport has vs the touring.
There are none, save for carbon, which is going to be useless to you if you're touring all over the place on your bike. Get the Touring.

Oh and be aware that the wind protection on this bike is nowhere near as good as the BMW you are coming off. Search on here and you will find tons of debate of how bad it is (personally I don't think its too bad at all). Just want you to go in with your eyes open in that regard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually there is not that much wind protection on the K16. I have tried a few different screens and I think I have come to terms that I am on a motorcycle. The buffeting on the K16 is killer. There is no solution for the pillion either. I had smoother and quieter ride with my R1 then the K bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will end up having to spend a load on carbon though I love the look. Especially the beak and rear mud guard at a minimum.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I got the Sport! The bags are not symetrical and don't carry all that much, thier construction is sub-par, compared to BMW. The center stand is a royal PIA, which leaves only the heated grips. You only need the centerstand for longer trips (pitbull stand does the trick, and cleans up the look of the bike a lot, and doesn't interfere w/Left foot), the Packjack is what i use when I do touring. The heated grips while really nice, I don't think are worth the $300 or so they're charging. I got the sport, and if i really wanted to I could sell the carbon for some serious cash and use that to buy real bags (touratech etc...) For touring solo, I believe a top box and tank bag are sufficent. Personally I strap a dry-bag to the pass seat area and tank bag,,,thats it. Side cases make the bike too big/wide/heavy IMHO.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts