Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,326 Posts
2016 DVT S. With full termi, up-map, 2017 airbox upgrade, Rapidbike EVO. The motorcycle is fantastic. To torque dip, acceleration is like a bat out of hell. Use urban mode in the city all the time as I use it to commute as well. No issues. Rear brake works great and use it all the time for trail braking around tighter hairpin bends.
I got a chance to ride the Aprilia capinord, BMW S1000xr and the multi all back to back and I am glad I own the multi.
Love it love it love it.
P.S- I would definitely look at the 1260. But reviews say that the sporty character of the multi has been dialled down a bit but they have made it better in every other way.
Would love the 1260 with my 15 geometry... in the car world folks would be talking about doing engine swaps, but that doesn't seem to happen here as much (probably because the motors are so damned expensive... over $10k for the DVT motor - you can get a >600hp LS for that kind of scratch).

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you there Dave. I'm hoping I'll test ride a 1260 and won't notice a difference.

Don't worry, I rode one today. Couldn't notice any difference in steering. Still nimble and easy to flip into a corner. But that midrange punch and the quickshifter are AWESOME!!!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)

I see two brand-new, never titled 2014 Multistradas for sale on the internet at dealerships. One is the S touring, and the other is the Granturismo.

They want 17k for each of them, which seems way to high for what will be a 4 year old used bike the second I ride it home.

What would you guys give for a new 2014? (United States)

·
Hammer Down
1,592 Posts
The GT was $22,295 brand new so it's a better deal. I bought a left over 2014 GT in 2015 and Before any taxes, setup, freight, etc it was marked down to near $18k. I'd say on the used market either of those bikes would get MAYBE $13k at the upper limit.

·
Premium Member
3,326 Posts
I see two brand-new, never titled 2014 Multistradas for sale on the internet at dealerships. One is the S touring, and the other is the Granturismo.

They want 17k for each of them, which seems way to high for what will be a 4 year old used bike the second I ride it home.

If it was never 'on the books' so it had the full factory warranty and had almost no miles / "NEW" (not a bike the dealer had been handing around for 4 years)... maybe I'd be around $15k or so... but I wouldn't be surprised if there was someone out there willing to pay $17k (someone anti-electronics because that's really the only thing that the DVT multi's are clearly better at - otherwise you can jump from one to the other and they feel nearly identical).

·
Registered
86 Posts
LS Motor

Would love the 1260 with my 15 geometry... in the car world folks would be talking about doing engine swaps, but that doesn't seem to happen here as much (probably because the motors are so damned expensive... over $10k for the DVT motor - you can get a >600hp LS for that kind of scratch).
Yeah but it won't fit into the Multi! :crying:

·
Registered
217 Posts

I was looking at this pretty hard a couple of weeks ago, New 2013 in Ohio for 12,294.00. I wanted a 1200S so I went with a used one with 7000 miles that was a lot closer to me. The sales lady that contacted me about the one in the add seemed really ready to deal (offered extended warranty or centerstand kit, etc). Love the the Matte Silver, but I wanted an 1200S with bags.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2013-Ducati-Multistrada-1200-118409272

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you there Dave. I'm hoping I'll test ride a 1260 and won't notice a difference.
If you do notice a difference don't necessarily let it sway your opinion. Once you get used to it you'll probably like it better and if you went back to the old geometry you may think it was too twitchy or whatever.

I don't know about you but I tend to adapt to anything mechanical or electronic. I, of course, have my preferences, but a change that I can simply get used to isn't one worth keeping me off a particular bike. I have known riders that get bent out of shape if a rider's triangle on one bike is 1 degree different than another. Those people probably complain about a guitar neck being 1 mm thicker or thinner as well.

My local shop does not yet have a 1260 MTS but does have a couple NOS 2016 models as well as a 2014 that someone could probably get a killer deal on.

NC

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looking at the burned hulk of your former bike I see art- of a sort.

Pressure wash that hulk, spray it in matt clear to keep anything from rusting and rig up a way to hang it on the wall. Voila!

I honestly think someone would buy it.

·
Registered
195 Posts

New with warranties and luggage maybe 15k?

I paid 12.8k for my 14 PP two years ago with 2306 miles, granted it was used but again that was two years ago...I really do like the Skyhook suspension, the 14 with a tuneboy tune and full termi really fixed a lot of the issues I had with it at stock (cruise control, stumble low rpm). I would probably go with the 1260 otherwise, not really interested in the 15-17 models as much.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

This past weekend I test rode a 1260 Multi S. I can only compare this to my old Multistrada, a 2011 S. Here is what I thought:

1) Brakes: front brakes are about dead even, I couldn't detect a difference. With any luck, the 1260 won't need the rear brake reverse bled every 15 minutes like my 2011. I give them a tie, with a possible win if the 1260 has a dependable rear brake.

2) Ergonomics: I give the upper hand to the 1260 here. The 1260 is shorter (I'm 5' 8") and has a wider seat; I liked the reach to the ground and the seat much better than my 2011. The handlebars will still need to come back towards me with some Rox Risers just like my 2011, but the 1260 appears to have more cable slack to facilitate this; on my 2011 I had to lengthen the cables. I give the win to the 1260.

3) Handling: Although there has been much ado about the rake and wheelbase changes, on my test ride I couldn't tell the difference in handling, but I wasn't out there trying to play Valentino Rossi either. I give them a tie.

4) Suspension: I rode the 1260 down mostly good roads, and it was smooth as silk. My 2011 had the Ohlins with the SCU, so it was too. On this test ride, I give them a tie.

5) Gauges: This isn't something I care about, so I give them a tie as they both tell me speed and RPM.

6) Engine performance: On my 2011 I had Tuneboy for cruise and remapping, and I had a 43 tooth rear sprocket to help smooth out the lower end and make 6th more usable. It was pretty awesome. The 1260 definitely has more grunt down low. A few times I looked down and was in a higher gear than I thought; it pulls very smoothly from down low, then pulls like a freight train all the way up to around 7k, which is as high as I revved it since it only had 1 mile on it. Is it faster than my Multi? Not sure, but it definitely has more low end, and is smoother everywhere. From a pure usability without modifications standpoint, I have to give the win to the 1260.

7) Fun factor/hooliganism: The longer wheelbase definitely makes the 1260 less wheelie prone. Also, the engine is so smooth and well-behaved in Sport, that it doesn't have the feeling of a wild mustang fighting the bit like my 2011. It may be just as fast and have more power, but the power is much more tame and way less raw and exciting. Putting it in Sport doesn't make you feel like you just released a wild beast anymore. I give a resounding win to the 2011 in this category.

My 2011 Multi was lost in my house fire back in December. If I still had it, there is no way I would trade it in for the 1260. There just isn't enough difference overall, and the motor is more boring.

However, since I no longer have a bike, I bought this one on Saturday. Hall's gave me a good deal, and the better (for me) ergonomics sold me. I am going to miss the 2011's motor and more hooligan attitude. I wanted a new bike for the warranty, and it came down to this one or various leftovers, and I decided that I'd rather have brand new and see if I can live with the less-exciting motor. I mostly do touring, so 90% of the time I'll be glad for the 1260s grunt and smooth characteristics; but the other 10% I may experience some real buyer's remorse. Time will tell.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,312 Posts
7) Fun factor/hooliganism: The longer wheelbase definitely makes the 1260 less wheelie prone. Also, the engine is so smooth and well-behaved in Sport, that it doesn't have the feeling of a wild mustang fighting the bit like my 2011. It may be just as fast and have more power, but the power is much more tame and way less raw and exciting. Putting it in Sport doesn't make you feel like you just released a wild beast anymore. I give a resounding win to the 2011 in this category.

My 2011 Multi was lost in my house fire back in December. If I still had it, there is no way I would trade it in for the 1260. There just isn't enough difference overall, and the motor is more boring.
Congratulations on the new bike. Happy you were able to get back on two wheels. :laugh:

On your #7 fact, I found it hard to believe that you would be content with a tame and dull sport mode over the absolute animal that the 10-12's become when you throw it into Sport. In that regard it is my opinion that you have committed a disservice to yourself.

The Sport mode isnt something to take lightly and I am quite afraid to use it because I know what comes with that territory. However, when I find myself brave enough too, the sheer thrill and excitement of the "on edge" feel I get from, riding Aids to NO Aids and the fast throttle, front wheel up every hard gear... lets just say that when I get back to the pits I lay on the ground with a wet cold town over my face smiling a grin so hard only a slap back into reality could cure.

At least you skipped the disaster that is the 15-17 DVT models. Even though its still early to condemn the 1260's, im hoping you nothing but an involved happiness with it.

Welcome back!

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Well ComplexCarlo, only time will tell. I'm hoping that some settings adjustments may help a little; I guess we'll see. Will I have buyer's remorse, or like the more sedate engine and start thinking like a BMW rider? Stay tuned for updates :)

·
Premium Member
3,326 Posts
get through the 600 mile break in then shut off the nanny if you want excitement... just be careful. It's possible that part of the impression that the earlier bikes were gonzo is that they had less intrusive electronics and throttle management.

Even in Sport at WC-2 the DVT's 1200's are limited to maybe a 3" Power wheelie for 50 feet or less before the electronics bring everything back to earth... and the traction control is so subtle that unless you're paying attention to the lights you won't notice it's working. IMO it's dumb... both those systems have something like 6 or 8 levels that could be used to give the bike more "shenanigan" modes but most of those levels do nothing more than the prior level (which already does too much). When I forgot that I'd left off WC (once) I was goofing around and turned left from a stop - I straightened up then hit the throttle just like always and I very nearly ended up sitting on the ground (front popped up nearly instantly). If you want excitement you can get it.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts