Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I owned a 2011 Multi S and it was the best bike I ever owned for the things I do. I like to tour, sometimes do Iron Butt days, and love to be able to reach the limits of my skills in the twisties. The issues I had on my bike was a terrible rear brake, bad seat, wind turbulence, and no cruise control. I never could solve the first issue, the second two were solved by a custom seat and a Cee Baileys (which I hear they no longer make), and TuneBoy fixed the cruise.

On Christmas Eve, my house and garage burned to the ground, and the Multi is a total loss.

So, I am now in the market for another Multi. However, I am not sure which one to get, or if I should wait for the new one? Did the rear brakes ever get sorted out on the Multis? Are there any other advantages to the newer ones? If you were starting over, which year would you get and why?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
2016 Pikes Peak without a doubt. Best suspension hands down since the earlier semi-active Ohlins.

Reactions: DaveNZ

·
Registered
431 Posts
wow. sorry about the house.

I have a '16 PP. Never had any issues with rear brakes... but I don't actively use the rear brake much unless I'm in traffic. It's also linked to the front brake now I believe with the IMU-enhanced ABS. Wind turbulence is still an issue. Cruise control is great. Very easy to use. The '16 motor does have kind of a flat spot, but if you're not racing it, it's not really an issue. Once past 5K, the bike really comes alive. Some people think it feels unstable at speed... I think it's a question of adjusting your suspension. If you are trying to do Pikes Peak in ten minutes, then the rear shock will probably be an issue as well... I feel it's also noticeably heavier than the previous iterations... and seems to still be getting heavier. You get used to it though.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
seat is fixable... rear brake is OK but not great... wind is still an issue touring on slab (not a problem elsewhere)... and cruise is great.

If twisties are more important than touring then PP, if touring is more important that twisties then S, if offroad is more important than on then enduro, if budget is more important than all that other stuff then non-S.

Reactions: cavlino

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Man, that sucks hope all are okay. Something to consider is an enduro model. The larger fuel tank provides more range and should provide better wind protection. I know you still have to find a suitable windscreen but it could make the overall ride better for long jaunts.

Barring that, I'd probably seek out the 1260. I like the design changes they made to the wheels although it seems like the screen flops around a lot.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I would definitely get a used model and save my $$ for the new one.

The bike is long in the tooth, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a new Generation coming in a few yrs. With a V4.

I see far to many pristine examples on sale for cheap.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hi all,

I owned a 2011 Multi S and it was the best bike I ever owned for the things I do. I like to tour, sometimes do Iron Butt days, and love to be able to reach the limits of my skills in the twisties. The issues I had on my bike was a terrible rear brake, bad seat, wind turbulence, and no cruise control. I never could solve the first issue, the second two were solved by a custom seat and a Cee Baileys (which I hear they no longer make), and TuneBoy fixed the cruise.

On Christmas Eve, my house and garage burned to the ground, and the Multi is a total loss.

So, I am now in the market for another Multi. However, I am not sure which one to get, or if I should wait for the new one? Did the rear brakes ever get sorted out on the Multis? Are there any other advantages to the newer ones? If you were starting over, which year would you get and why?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Oh man your poor bike, it looks so well dead, sad.

Plus I like your Mr Lahey pic, best acting drunk ever! dam shame he died!��

I’d go for a 2017 1200s problably get a new 1 year old one sitting in a showroom somewhere for cheaper! The 2017 airbox redo helped eliminate the flat spot a bit but comes up only the odd time in hard accelerating. Full system termi and re map helps that as well.
The rear brake is good no issues to me and really no better or worse than any other Ducati’s I’ve ridden with Brembos.

1260 does not excite me when I read “ slower handling and less nimble” plus the colour scheme do nothing for me. Rims are cool though.
The 2017 MUlti is by far the best all around bike I ever had and I think you wouldn’t be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
multis

I wonder about the torque dip that Ducati shows for the DVT model, and there seems to be a lot of issues reported with it on the forums. I have no idea what I'd think of the 1260, but I know I liked the short wheelbase of my Multi. Can the brakes be unlinked on the DVT models?

I haven't seen any cheap leftover 2017s....however, I do see a leftover 2014 Granturismo on Craigslist! Any thoughts on this bike? The only disadvantages I can think of are crappy rear brake and no cruise control.

They're wanting 17k for it, they'd have to go cheaper than that for what would be a 4 year old used Multi as soon as you rode it off the lot, but it would have the warranty, which I would want for peace of mind.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I wonder about the torque dip that Ducati shows for the DVT model, and there seems to be a lot of issues reported with it on the forums. I have no idea what I'd think of the 1260, but I know I liked the short wheelbase of my Multi. Can the brakes be unlinked on the DVT models?

I haven't seen any cheap leftover 2017s....however, I do see a leftover 2014 Granturismo on Craigslist! Any thoughts on this bike? The only disadvantages I can think of are crappy rear brake and no cruise control.

They're wanting 17k for it, they'd have to go cheaper than that for what would be a 4 year old used Multi as soon as you rode it off the lot, but it would have the warranty, which I would want for peace of mind.
It's not always a combined braking system.

https://www.wired.com/2015/06/new-ducati-stability-system-makes-crashing-near-impossible/

·
29 Posts
I have the 2017 Multi 1200S and do not really notice a torque curve dip. Maybe it was worse on the earlier models. Could be related to the variable valve timing and actuation. I remember riding a Honda VFR with VTEC once and could not get used to the bike when it adjusted to 4 valve operation at around 5K RPM. Weird feeling leaning over in a curve with the power on to have the engine "come online" with full valve operation. I do not get that feeling with the DVT. The Multi DVT is much more refined than the earlier Honda VTEC's.

Back brake - did not even know it had one:) I have not learned or perfected trail braking, so do not use the back brake other than at slow speed on loose gravel.

The wind - I rode a Ducati Scrambler the other day and was amazed at how much wind protection I get from the Multi. I do keep the wind screen down to minimize turbulence at the helmet level.

The adjustable riding modes and Skyhook are incredible. Great to be able "on the fly" to adjust suspension and power delivery. I did use the reduced power urban mode on wet pavement recently and thought I was riding a scooter. I'm sure it was much safer.

Very pleased with the '17 MTS! It is wicked fast, comfortable to ride, and tons of fun.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I've got a 2013 GT w/ Full Termi & UpMap. I have been very happy with the bike. I have not had any issues with the rear brake since I went to the Termi. I suspect that scorching hot Cat caused issues. Recently I have added Ferodo Platinum brake pads to the rear and they work very well.

Only issue has been with numerous fuel senders.

t_bare

·
Registered
325 Posts
2016 DVT S. With full termi, up-map, 2017 airbox upgrade, Rapidbike EVO. The motorcycle is fantastic. To torque dip, acceleration is like a bat out of hell. Use urban mode in the city all the time as I use it to commute as well. No issues. Rear brake works great and use it all the time for trail braking around tighter hairpin bends.
I got a chance to ride the Aprilia capinord, BMW S1000xr and the multi all back to back and I am glad I own the multi.
Love it love it love it.
P.S- I would definitely look at the 1260. But reviews say that the sporty character of the multi has been dialled down a bit but they have made it better in every other way.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
if you have all the money in the world, go for a 1260S. If money is a issue go for a 2014 model. Skip the 2015-17 models.
If you're getting an S then you're paying for the electronics - the DVT S package is better than the pre-DVT so I'd personally not opt for the 14S over a 15S unless the price is a LOT better (and at this point it's probably not).

·
Registered
17 Posts
2013/2014 base.
Add heated grips and a top case.
Get your suspension set up if you do not do your own.
Pilot Road 4 tires.

·
Registered
154 Posts
2016 DVT S. With full termi, up-map, 2017 airbox upgrade, Rapidbike EVO. The motorcycle is fantastic. To torque dip, acceleration is like a bat out of hell.

Agreed, that is an amazing setup. I have the same in a 2015 model and added OZ rims and 14T front sprocket to your list. I figure I'll ride it untill the weels fall off, I do or the V4 multi comes out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Multi

I'm going to test a 1260 the first chance I get. I'm also looking for leftovers at the dealerships; I like the idea of having a warranty, I needed it for my 2011 Multi.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts