Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting to do my research for a Monster purchase this Winter. I'm looking for a bike I can sport tour solo with camping gear and do some day trips 2-up. I've discounted some other Ducati models (ST: not enough sport), SC's (cost too much to modify...suspension, wheels, etc.) and am thinking a Monster might do it for me. I've owned two SS/SP's that I've ridden solo cross country and two 998's. My current bike is an '02 Bayliss 998 that I'm selling to my son. Anyway, although I know a lot about the maintenance of 2V and 4V I know little about living with a Monster. Wondering how people feel about S2R vs S4R and what it's like to live with a Monster generally.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Just starting to do my research for a Monster purchase this Winter. I'm looking for a bike I can sport tour solo with camping gear and do some day trips 2-up. I've discounted some other Ducati models (ST: not enough sport), SC's (cost too much to modify...suspension, wheels, etc.) and am thinking a Monster might do it for me. I've owned two SS/SP's that I've ridden solo cross country and two 998's. My current bike is an '02 Bayliss 998 that I'm selling to my son. Anyway, although I know a lot about the maintenance of 2V and 4V I know little about living with a Monster. Wondering how people feel about S2R vs S4R and what it's like to live with a Monster generally.
Not sure about other Monster models but my S4RS gets me around 90 miles to the tank on a good day (3.1 gall tank). That alone would put a huge dent on any real touring capabilities.

Good luck!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I got an st4s which is pretty damn sporty and good for two any day. 996 motor with ohlins setup.

I also have an s4r which is also very nice.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure about other Monster models but my S4RS gets me around 90 miles to the tank on a good day (3.1 gall tank). That alone would put a huge dent on any real touring capabilities.

Good luck!
It's hard for me to believe you get less than 30 mpg! I was expecting more like mid-40's on the interstate. I was also under the impression that the fuel warning light would come on at 2.8 gal. used and that there was a total of 3.6-3.8 gal. to a full tank. Not so?

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
It's hard for me to believe you get less than 30 mpg! I was expecting more like mid-40's on the interstate. I was also under the impression that the fuel warning light would come on at 2.8 gal. used and that there was a total of 3.6-3.8 gal. to a full tank. Not so?
My full Termi S4R gets low 40's riding on European motorways (all of 200 km's ~120 miles with the warning light at ~180 km or so). The mileage gets worse in city and traffic.

The specified 15L tank is actually about 12.5L. Rather small, but the hour or so of riding is enough before wanting to take a break.

I do some touring in Europe, and it works:). Love the excess power and the sound:cool:.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I really wish I was lying. Light came on the other day at 82.2 miles which I can carry to 90 miles or so. This was on the commute to work (90% highway) with next to no traffic cruising at an estimaged speed of 70 to 80mph or so.

Hopefully your millage will vary, pun intended.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I really wish I was lying. Light came on the other day at 82.2 miles which I can carry to 90 miles or so. This was on the commute to work (90% highway) with next to no traffic cruising at an estimaged speed of 70 to 80mph or so.

Hopefully your millage will vary, pun intended.
Do you have any mods installed or is it that bad all stock? That doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Do you have any mods installed or is it that bad all stock? That doesn't seem right.
Bone stock air box, bone stock exhaust system. I added a FatDuc manipulator to help w/a 3/4K dead spot. I run the unit at 1/4 or so from full lean. No significant mileage decrease w/the FatDuc as I rode the bike to work for a week with and then a week without the unit installed.

My buddy has a 1098 who's light comes on at 72 miles. He's taken it to the dealer and they swear its' normal and all diagnostics test done on the bike say tha's the case.

So I'm not sure how you guys get 40 to 50 mpg. :confused:

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My '02 998 got me 50+ mpg on the interstate. My Bayliss 998 has RS cams and gets me 40 mpg on the interstate, but mid-30's around town.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm totally hooked up for sport touring including; windscreen, DP gel seat, GPS and luggage. I've stacked-up about 400 miles in one day and 2000 miles in a 5 day trip. I consistently get 120 miles out of one tank and that's riding aggressively.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts

So I'm not sure how you guys get 40 to 50 mpg. :confused:
I wonder if it has something to do with fuel available at your place versus mine? Mileage of my DP Termi should be worse than the bone stock set ups.

I had mine dyno tuned (and broken in) before I even took possession. Other than 2 tail-light bulbs, and a turn signal, I've had a perfect experience (fingers-crossed).

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"Originally Posted by bruce19

So I'm not sure how you guys get 40 to 50 mpg. "

FWIW, I don't think that's my post. No big deal, just for the sake of accuracy.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've got an S4 that generally gets around 30 mpg. it pretty much sucks, mileage wise, but the smileage ratio is very good.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Not enough sport

My 2002 ST2 will outrun my Monster. Think again pal.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My 2002 ST2 will outrun my Monster. Think again pal.

Will it "outrun" an ST4S? 'Cause I ride one of those (owned by a friend) on a regular basis and, as nice as it is, I'd prefer to sport tour with my 998S Bayliss. That's just me I guess, pal.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I think the Monster is a great choice for a sporting road bike, much more comfortable than the superbikes but no less accomplished on the road. I am totally smitten with my S4Rs and I was a hard-core, ex road racer. I like the Monster 1100 too but feel that it is just a bit too soft in the hp department for my tastes. Perfect in reality but I prefer my 130bhp at the wheel.

Read my Ducati Monster S4Rs review or Ducati Monster 1100S Ride Report if you want more details.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts