Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Vehicles and Life

I am taking a tumble here. I was going to purchase a used Tacoma (in need of a truck) but my experience with my 2000 Celica says otherwise. At 100,000 miles, this car has taken over two grand a year for four years. Similarly all of the Tacomas on Craigslist are at that 100,000 mile mark. So I am analyzing a $10k vehicle with potentially plenty of upcoming repairs. That is steering me to a new Tacoma. If so that puts any second bike further away. No issue is fatal but just want to update you guys that I may be making what is considered a stupid financial move for my primary vehicle after weighing all of the variables.

·
Registered
89 Posts
grats! share pics pls.

i was rooting for the s2r (prefer the cleaner look of the 1000DS lump) but can totally see why one would want a bit more power.

either s2r/s4r i think u made the right call. i love how they look grittier compared to the current monsters.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Hi folks. It certainly has been a while! I had to come back and update all of those who put great effort into advising on the purchase issue. Nothing is worse than someone asking for forum help and then disappearing!

A great deal has happened which kept me completely occupied. At one point I walked out of my career. Watching other guys fairly young die of massive heart attacks, and in a terrible predicament myself, I did a reset and took a year off. I did a move to a nice sunny area and took an entire year off. Despite everyone implying that I was nuts it was the best move that I ever made. We bled a lot of cash. That set back the material life, but the spiritual life is far more enlightened now to care about such. After the long vacation we had to do a second move back to the frigid NE as that is where I found good work.

Soon after settling down again I bought a Hayabusa. I have so loved the comfort of my sport tourer (VFR800) that I decided to get another one. My mechanic is a Suzuki fanatic. Today I have no space for working on any vehicle and his opinions and help weigh extremely heavy. All of this came together to getting a bike that my mechanic loves to work on. It is easy to get him to do anything on the Hayabusa with no delays. (He is not that way with the VFR, nor probably any other bike.)

I have reread this thread and it truly is a great read, and very motivational. We will see about the future. I suspect a Monster will creep into my life at some point.

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
I have an ‘06 Busa. In my opinion they are under rated. So much attention is given to the power and speed it seems to escape everyone that it is just a nice all around street bike. It handles decent, has a good ride, even decent wind protection. Not a bad choice .

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Interesting old thread with some good info posted. (y)

I had the same question, which Monster. Wanted one for 20+ years and finally sold the 98 VFR, The 1st gen Tuono, and the 2nd Gen Tuono, and went with the water cooled '14 Monster 1200 a little over 2 years ago. I made the choice because I liked the longer maint interval, the reported better reliability of the newer Ducatis, and I wanted the powah!
No disappointment there, and I love the way it handles.

It has the lower weight and more power I always wanted from the VFR. It has a lower seat height and fits me better than the Tuono's and the VFR for that matter. All those were great bikes, and most of the ones that went before were good, for their time. Monster is best. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Big VFR fan. I cannot seem to get rid of mine despite having two sport-tourers now.

It sounds like the 1200 is "that bike" that VFR owners wanted from the VFR lineup (lighter/more powerful) but never got. Glad you enjoy it! The 1200 Monster is gorgeous!

·
Registered
98 Posts
S4RS is easily the coolest monster ever made. It is the king of the hill. But the 1100 evo is also great because air-cooked, low maintenance and safety aids.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts