Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
If you are looking at older monsters (generations more than years) make sure you at least get one with some of the parts you want. Ie: not everyone is still making full exhaust systems for the s2R series.

If you have you heart set on a particular system (like Quat-d, in the picture) make sure they still make it or be prepared to be patient while waiting for one to show up on ebay or a classified.

Also keep in mind with the S2R series you may have to deal with plastic gas tanks and immobilizers, both can be fixed or replaced but it is something to pay attention to. A bike with a good steel tank and no immobilizer would be best.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
If you are looking at older monsters (generations more than years) make sure you at least get one with some of the parts you want. Ie: not everyone is still making full exhaust systems for the s2R series.

If you have you heart set on a particular system (like Quat-d, in the picture) make sure they still make it or be prepared to be patient while waiting for one to show up on ebay or a classified.

Also keep in mind with the S2R series you may have to deal with plastic gas tanks and immobilizers, both can be fixed or replaced but it is something to pay attention to. A bike with a good steel tank and no immobilizer would be best.
Yes I have seen this with my 1999 VFR. Once you buy a bike, then it is all about ebay, luck, and trading to find some of the unique pieces.

Only recently in looking at Ducatis did I discover the EX-Box. Super cool!

Yes if I pick up one of these bikes I think I would dry the tank out and send it to one of the companies that seals them, giving it the best effort to try and stop the problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
2005 Ducati MONSTER S2R, St. Louis MO - - Cycletrader.com

I would go for something like this. Some forum people don't think the 800 motor is grungy enough but anyone who has had one will tell you it is one of the smoothest and sweetest engines that Ducati has made.

S2R 1000s are fantastic too, just a bit more expensive.
Yes, I saw that bike, and lament that the 1000 has several other performance upgrades out of the box.

It is unclear to me how much the engine capacity of the Monster would matter to me. After some time of ownership I might not care at all, or I might want a feel more inline with the VFR (I think the 1000 has identical peak horsepower to my bike.) If I find an 800 with upgraded everything, then I would have to make a decision, but because of the brakes & suspension the 1000 looks better.

At the price of the 1000's it also might be 2017 before they fall into an acceptable price for me. Unless I came across a dirt cheap bike with mega miles (preferred!)

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
If I bought a s2r series with the plastic tank I would convert it to steel.

magnetic tank bags are great
dent it-fix it
more gas capacity
No more pump flange to worry about.

When the plastic tanks came out we thought they were going to be poor mans carbon tanks that did not dent like steel. Instead we found they weighed about the same, had less fuel capacity needed strap on tank bags and that was before we had issues with the plastic tanks changing shape, bleeding through and warping. If you have a good one and coat it with caswell you should be fine. If I needed to sink much money into one there is no chance I would not swap to steel.

Heck I even pulled the carbon tank off of one of mine because I like magnetic tank bags so much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
tanks (you're welcome)

If I bought a s2r series with the plastic tank I would convert it to steel.
What is the supplier? Is this a swap with other models or an aftermarket? Sorry for my ignorance I've looked around here but have not found this info. My biggest interest is total out of pocket cost.

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
If you have a s2R 800 or 1000 you can use the last generation oem fuel tanks. You need to re-arrange the fuel pump / filter arrangement and install an external fuel pressure regulator in line. It all can be done with ebay parts so cost is not bad . be picky on the steel tank and get a good one or buy a rough one cheap and make it what you want. The important part is the last generation steel tanks will have room for your lazy battery (laying down).

·
Registered
17 Posts
It takes an hour of idling before the engine shuts off due to over-temperature protection. This can be avoided, as long as you can hit 20 mph for a few minutes, every 20 minutes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not an expert or Monster purist I am sure there are several versions which are pure enjoyment.

But if it is for a water cooled one, I think Ducati did a decent job with the 1200 R. Already loved that engine coming from a Diavel but in the Monster and with the chasis changes plus the Ohlins I think this one bike will be a long term enjoyment.

Plus for my taste it is almost perfectly painted means not so much silver coated parts in between black anodised ones.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Nice s2r on eBay right now (131719431366)

Ducati Monster | eBay
Thanks! Seen that one on Craigslist. The only problem with that bike is the black frame. I have determined that the red frame is a must. Regarding tank, I like red/black, red/white/ gloss black. All of those styles are beautiful in their own way.

I am not the crazieset about the style but there are the advantages built into having newer bikes. This is a good one:

2009 Ducati Monster 696 - Used | Paul Blouin Performance

Here's an S2R beaut that I like.
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/mcy/5374845696.html

The timing just isn't right for a $5k-$6k bike as a second bike, otherwise I do love these. It will be in my mind to try and budget for such for next year.

I like MrAlien's 620! Too bad it isn't a red frame! I wonder if I could find a mint red-frame 620 shipped to my house for $3,000? That would spur an immediate conversation with the wife.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a 1999 VFR800 that I think I'll eventually have buried with me. To keep life exciting I think about buying a second bike. I am not motivated by high speed capability, although I do like powerful engines and love the naked bike style. I am addicted to aesthetics, and character, performance, turning, and balance, and being completely in tune with the bike while riding. So a bike with character is important. In other brands I do like the B-King and the Triumph triple. But while these are cool, the Ducati Monster, with the associated trellis frame, is more unique and, maybe offending my VFR pals, is probably the best looking motorcycle there is. This is just posturing today, but I am extremely spontaneous and can see buying a Monster as a second bike. The wife seems open to it, so there are no real barriers. Just opportunity costs to consider.

According to fellow riders, the latest VFR800 is not fundamentally different from my 1999 version. Honda is very careful and is fundamentally opposed to making changes, which has become somewhat of a disappointment. But these naked Monster seem to go the opposite direction: Unlimited choices and unlimited character. Analyzing the line-up of Ducatis, I am finding, is quite challenging. That is why I am here.

The air cooled vs. water cooled is a big choice in itself. Today I am in the city, and my rides around town are 50/50 stoplight/freeway. I always see some stop and go traffic, unlike some of you who live in canyon city. From what I read, these air cooled bikes absolutely cannot handle this, they will overheat. Am I right? Can enough oil cooling make this bike usable around town? I love the idea of this simple bike. I might even find myself begin wrenching on this bike, inspired by the ease of access. (I have a great independent mechanic today and have not worked on bikes, but I admittedly am a good problem solver in IT.)

On the other hand, the pure technological aspect of modern motorcycles got me excited about the sport, and it seems that water cooled bikes are the latest and greatest. Thus the water cooled bikes have a different but equally powerful appeal.

I have been looking online browsing through used bikes. A sweet spot is somewhere in the $6000 range, and an 6-8 year old bike, the more miles the better, along with a good maintenance record. (My perception is it is easier to find a Ducati that has been immaculately maintained than the Japanese bikes which is good.) I know from the VFR that certain parts are falling off the "new parts" map which is a little scary, but parts can still be gotten through research and borrowing from other bikes and such. Also, I will not be putting on significant miles, so I would not wear out the Ducati. If touring/miles pick up dramatically, the VFR can go 200,000 miles and it would get priority. In this era of perpetual recessions, the smart financial aspect of letting someone else take the depreciation appeals greatly, so no new vehicles nor loans for me.

The models that catch my eye include the S4R/S, S2R, 696/796, 1100 EVO. Like I mentioned, the trellis is beautiful, preferable in red, with a white or red tank. :)

So I know that is kind of wide open start here, but I suppose the first big concern is the air vs water debate. If I got an air cooled bike would I melt the valves down to the ground in the first 90°F summer day? With the VFR I go anywhere and do anything. If I got a second street motorcycle, I would expect the same level of utility from it. I rail against barriers in life, if you know what I mean.
I rode a 2002 VFR ABS model for 12 years, 60k miles. Great machine, almost no issues once I got the well known wiring harness problems fixed. At the same time owned a '97 900ss/CR with lots of character. I rode the hell out of it then traded it for a 2012 Monster 1100 EVO. The 2v air/oil cooled twin is all you need with a 900cc (+) Ducati from both a power and practical standpoint. The air/oil cooled motorcycle engine will be a thing of the past soon. Get yourself one while you can. Hell, even HD is moving this way due to the EPA. Look at what happened to Porsche and VW cars.
Plus, they are a lot easier and cheaper to work on than a liquid cooled, 4v model.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Plus, they are a lot easier and cheaper to work on than a liquid cooled, 4v model.
As I am about to get maintenance done and seeing the labor cost, my perspective is that nothing on this earth is more labor intensive or more expensive than working on the liquid cooled four-valve bike. It is in fact ridiculous!

The lack of parts came up on the VFR forum again. A rider is looking for a choke cable for the same VFR as mine. (Actually it is "fast idle" but they call it a choke. Have to throw that in there for fuel injection fans who see the stupidity of the naming convention.) Honda no longer has this cable in stock. The availability of parts by age is contracting in this industry. That is a problem.

I see 2010 1100's on Craigslist for $7,000. It is tempting to sell and move up ten years, although my reading shows the VFR is probably a little better for the pillion. My wife wants to ride pillion, although now that she sees automatic bikes, she is warming up to the thought of owning her own. (THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!)

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I wouldn't go with a 4v monster for the maintenance reasons listed(and was even directed away from them by our local dealer)... But here's one that was listed yesterday with your red frame..

2005 DUCATI S4R

As it's nearing 12k miles, I'd wager it needs it's 12k service done though as it's not explicitly listed.

Suppose I should also ad that it's in Chicago. Which i guess isn't too far from you

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello

People that are scared of 4-valvers are either frightened of the top end or scared to get their hands dirty!

The only Duc's I'm wary of are the ones with so much electronical schtuff on 'em that I can't comprehend it to work on 'em any more. I went through the same thing with BMW's.

They think that they're getting exotic but really they're getting elitist.

JMHO.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I wouldn't go with a 4v monster for the maintenance reasons listed(and was even directed away from them by our local dealer)... But here's one that was listed yesterday with your red frame..

2005 DUCATI S4R

As it's nearing 12k miles, I'd wager it needs it's 12k service done though as it's not explicitly listed.

Suppose I should also ad that it's in Chicago. Which i guess isn't too far from you
Yes yes, very nice looking bike. It would be a little better with the shiny pitch black tank, but that can be changed. Although I definitely cannot buy in the six grand range for a second bike which has thrown out most of the S4's and newest S2's.

I am looking at replacing the Celica with a Tacoma. Once I have that then shopping out of state becomes viable. Bikes here are priced high and there is little selection, so I anticipate going out of state for future endeavors.

If the wife decides she wants a bike with an automatic then that would trump the Monster for me, ugh. I never expected her to want her own bike. I tried to push that up front but it flopped. But I guess the shifting thing scared her the most and she is reevaluating. The first thing she found and got excited about is the Aprilia.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts