Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally sold my FZ and am searching for a "new" bike. Thought I'd tap into the wisdom of the list for advice. This bike will be used on a daily basis in town and will also be used for short (200 mi. days) 2-up rides (non-camping) with my gf. But, it's most important use will be solo long distance (600 mi. days) with camping gear. You should also know that I am totally comfortable on my '02 998S and would want a similar riding position. So, I'm thinking my options are: a GT with modified ergos and a 1/4 fairing or a Biposto w/removalble rack for the 2-up stuff. I usually use Ortlieb saddlebags, btw. And, ultimately, any SC I buy will get upgraded suspension. Am I on the right track? Any other suggestions? TIA

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm not sure if you can get those saddlebags to fit either bike, but if you can, either bike, modified would be good.

I had a GT last year, this year I have a 1000s with with the more comfortable clip-ons added. I found back roads at a quick pace was most fun on the GT, but highway and faster secondary roads were best on the 1000s.

The fairing and more aggressive riding position make the 1000s better at faster speeds because the wind acts as a cushion, whereas the GT at highway speeds tended to to be a little more punishing with its upright stance.

Either can be modified though. Good Luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
Like you said, whatever you get you're probably going to modify to suit you. The GT will do what you want, and will do it well after wheels, ECU/pipes, and suspension, and your ergo mods. You may not be satisfied with it stock, however. The SC1000 beats it on looks in my opinion. The real downside to these bikes for touring are the small-ish gas tanks. Everything else can be addressed with time and/or money.

I ride my GT relatively fast everywhere with no fairing and prefer it to my '98 VFR. When I ride with a group, I seem to be the least exhausted at the end of the trip even though they have fairings, heated equipment, etc. A lighter bike is just more fun to me.

From a practical standpoint, for what you're talking about a FJ1300 would fit the bill for about the same money as a SC+ all the mods. Multistrada 1000/1100S would also be a good choice. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
............................... A lighter bike is just more fun to me.

From a practical standpoint, for what you're talking about a FJ1300 would fit the bill for about the same money as a SC+ all the mods. Multistrada 1000/1100S would also be a good choice. Good luck!
Me too. Which is why an FJR will never cut it. My idea of touring is a Ducati SS and some camping gear and heading out for the "left coast." Which, I've done a couple times with my "96 & '97 SS/SP's. Multi's (for me) are too straight up, too tall, and too ugly. I want all the functions I've mentioned and, at the end of the day, I want to be able to kick back with a cigar and cognac and be able to look at my bike and think, "God, that's a work of art." In the end it's all about what speaks to you.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sounds like a Multistrada! I do not own one ,but have had many adventure bikes that I never take off road. They just seem to do everything good.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Poolagent, You are right, I guess I missed the part about the riding position, Read right over it. Still a good bike however, ergos aside.

·
Registered
242 Posts
fwiw my wife hates riding pillion on my s1000, i would reccomend the gt for her comfort, not to mention all the other stuff you are wanting to do seems to fit better with a gt

·
Registered
775 Posts
Perhaps it's worth trying both bikes solo & 2-up if possible? That way you'll be making a decision based on what feels right for you.

One man's meat & all that....

Happy riding! :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
buy one of each. :)

·
svc.bmh.mc
190 Posts
fwiw my wife hates riding pillion on my s1000, i would recommend the gt for her comfort, not to mention all the other stuff you are wanting to do seems to fit better with a gt

I would agree. My better half tells me the GT1000 is quite comfortable for her. I did opt for the comfort seat, which helps. The factory panniers are not perfect (weight limits, spendy!) but imho the convenience of how they work (very easy on/off) makes up for it.

I will echo what others have stated, in that the GT is not great out of the box. But with some intake/exhaust + gearing + suspention mods, it indeed becomes great.

Good luck -

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Perhaps it's worth trying both bikes solo & 2-up if possible? That way you'll be making a decision based on what feels right for you.
That's a really good idea. One of the bike mags did a report on two-up riding several years ago and they found that what pleased the rider didn't necessarily please the passenger.

I don't own a multistrada but I rode one for a week in Spain. A multistrade is "do anything" bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts