Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of purchasing my first Ducati in the coming month. I have rode the Monster and the Hypermotard, but not for long distances. I'm looking for a bike to take me back and forth to work every once in a while. I would also be taking it out for cruises during the weekend. work is 52 miles one way and I'm concerned the Hypermotard wouldn't be as comfortable as the Monster.

I come here with my first post hoping to get an answer to help me with my decision. Opinions, suggestions, etc etc are greatly appreciated.

-Paul

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I would say the monster is more comfortable. The height is easier on you at lights and stopped areas, and the seat is very comfortable. That is my feeling after being on both. Which monster are you looking into getting?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i have been looking at the 696 and the 1100.

not sure if i want used or new. Used is more in my price range, and im leaning more towards the 1100

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
well i have been looking at the 696 and the 1100.

not sure if i want used or new. Used is more in my price range, and im leaning more towards the 1100
If you are going to do used, why dont you find a nice S4RS or S4R. Both great bikes, the RS has all the nice goodies like ohlins and deep sump motor. They are going for around 10K these days.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
I have a 80 mile commute and I have ridden both the Hyper and the monster. I will tell you that the lack of a fairing on both bikes gets really old really fast. the wind beats you up pretty good on both of those bikes. If you are going to get a commuter may I suggest an ST I commute on the 900ss and the 916 they both have enough fairing to make the ride comfy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Look at a ST3 harder to find but so worth it.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,715 Posts
own a Multistrada, Hyper, and a Monster. While a Hyper and Monster could easily do the commute, the wind blast might get a little tiresome after 5-6 round trips. The Hyper is a bit wide at the bars when lane-splitting, but it's upright seating position i find to be comfy, but nothing like the Multistrada. The Monster is fine too for that many miles, but I personally would want the comfort of the Multistrada for day to day usage.

best success

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
you mentioned used as price is a consideration.racking up 100 miles a day on a ducati is going to cost you in tires and service work.the average duc rider has a tough time going 6,000 miles a year,and complains about service costs.your talking over 30,000 per year!yikes

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Oh come on people. Why ride a bike if you're afeared of the wind? Get a car.

Unfaired bikes give you the real motorcycling experience. :cool:

·
Registered
560 Posts
I would vote for a multi, being a woose I guess, I too like a bit of a faring to deflect the wind abit.

Mark

·
Registered
325 Posts

AMEN! I have been riding a Monster for two years now and I must say that the lack of fairing is the last thing I ever think about. I commute to work occasionally and do 300-400 mile days on the weekends during the summer. I would much rather have the fun factor of the Monster and put up with the minimal wind blast inconvenience. Bottom line, the Monster is a blast! Would you rather have a bike that is lacking in the commuting department (not what Ducatis are built for), or the tearing up twisty roads and having the time of your life department? :D

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
It's all about what works for you. If it were me I'd be looking for an SS even though I happen to have no problems with my 998S.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Ha Ha you said drive to work..You mean RIDE to work ...I rode a H-D with the full fairing with lowers you can light a cigar while doine 60 mph .
Summer time comes and the lowers come off and a 3" windscreen goes on .
Full face helmet takes care of the wind for me.
50 miles would be a good commute for a HYPER ,
What type of roads?
Its all about your tollerance levels .
Bikes are like a good pair of shoes ,the first impressions when you first try them on usually is it..
Don't cheap out now ....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you mentioned used as price is a consideration.racking up 100 miles a day on a ducati is going to cost you in tires and service work.the average duc rider has a tough time going 6,000 miles a year,and complains about service costs.your talking over 30,000 per year!yikes
Its not going to be a bike I ride every day. Just every now and then when its nice enough to travel the distance.

Ha Ha you said drive to work..You mean RIDE to work ...I rode a H-D with the full fairing with lowers you can light a cigar while doine 60 mph .
Summer time comes and the lowers come off and a 3" windscreen goes on .
Full face helmet takes care of the wind for me.
50 miles would be a good commute for a HYPER ,
What type of roads?
Its all about your tollerance levels .
Bikes are like a good pair of shoes ,the first impressions when you first try them on usually is it..
Don't cheap out now ....
Roads? I would say 10 Miles of Country Roads, 2 Miles of City Roads, and 38+/- Highway.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts

If you're wearing all of your gear all the time like you should be doing, then the wind isn't that bad. Commuting usually doesn't mean top speed anyway.

·
Super Moderator
8,222 Posts
I´d have to say Multistrada.. I haven´t commuted on a monster, but aslong as the speeds aren´t high, that should be good aswell, but the multi will give some protection when it rains and so on. I rode one for a testday and i was SOOOO close to buying one right then and there.

I communted for a year on my 748 and i would definatly NOT recommend that bike.. :)

//amullo

·
Registered
339 Posts
I got some experience with commuting. 4 years of 100 miles a day commutes on the worst freeway in US was more than enough. It was one of the reasons I quit my job.

You are looking at wrong bikes. Neither one will be comfortable enough. Riding 300 miles on Sunday is one thing, you are doing it for fun. When you spend one hour on the road fighting the wind and have to work afterward is another issue. Not to mention that you need to be fresh when you get home. Hyper and Monster will wear you out.

I would strongly suggest looking into Multistrada or ST. That is if you are dead set on Ducati. If not, there are many great choices from other manufacturers.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Have you tried the streetfighter out yet? Its in the same price range as the monster 1100 and I find it very comfy on long rides.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Yeah, that's why I don't ride with a helmet on. It gives you the real motorcycling experience!

[/sarcasm]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts