Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in search of a Hypermotard. I am already decided that I want one.. Im just not sure what year? I know I want an 1100... I see a ton of 2008 models that look well kept on craigslist but I am not sure what the advantage of getting a later model year is. I have the money to buy a newer 2011 model or so but I would rather just drop 7.5 on a 2008 if there is not a huge difference in terms of handling, reliability, maintenance, and performance.

Anyways, I hope to get to know you guys better and join you in the Hyper world.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm far from an expert on the subject but I recently bought a 2010 Evo SP. My rationale behind choosing the SP is because I'm a big guy, 6'4", and the SP sits taller than the other Hypers. If I were more "normal" I think I would have gone with a 2008 S. There are much more aftermarket fuel injection and suspension choices with the DS bikes than the Evos. Either way I think you're getting perhaps the most fun motorcycle ever made. I know you'll enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
532 Posts
i had a 2009 hyper 1100 standard bike and i now have this 2012 evo sp. i never tunned any of them and if you are not for tracking or if you are sensilbe then the older model is wvery bit as good as the newer one. I did notice that there is a bit more power in this evo and i also like the fact that she sits a bit higher. I can honestly say that i regret ever selling my 2009 for this one reason and that is if i had've kept if, i would have a bike that ticked all the boxes and would have spent a lot less £££££££££

·
Registered
158 Posts
Depends what you're after...the 1100s is still a great bike especially if there are lots to chose from (read: negotiate on).

For me, I wanted the EVO based model for the more (slightly) powerful engine and modern instrument panel.

With the SP the uprated suspension and mono block calipers we're just a bonus!

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
218 Posts
does this seem like a fair price? He is the original owner.

2008 Hypermotard 1100S
Looks pretty sweet to me. I bought an 08 1100 standard for $7900. It appeared in great shaped and was set up about 98% the way i wanted with 13k miles. This bike you're looking at obviously has more miles but doesn't specify. I'm coming from a 2010 R6 and don't regret a thing. Its more comfy, super torquey, and the lack of HP doesn't bother me one bit. So far I love it so getting an older HM shouldn't be a problem. I don't know your history but if mines any indication I think you'll be happy saving money and going with a well kept older HM. Just inspect the wheels, frame, forks, motor mounts, bars and plastics for any indication of it hitting the ground. Paperwork on maintenance is even better. If he has new plastics on there ask for the stock ones. If he doesn't have it it could mean it went down but that assumption is up to you. If you can't test ride it ask him to run through the gears up and down the street. GOOD LUCK...I've gone on two very long rides with my so far and I'm due for my 15k service now. I love this bike...its SOOO much fun!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well. Doesn't hurt to check it out. Like I said before but now really inspect it for a straight uncracked frame, check the motor mounts are in tact, forks are straight, wheels and disc for dents or warps, swing arm, etc. Looks sick to me and if it was down here a month ago I would've bought it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Oh also I wouldn't be discourage about the standard model. I rode the S and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference between them. The forks were actually more harsh on the S but then again the previous owner of my bike said he had the suspension redone (idk if he meant oil/springs/clicker adjustments) for his weight (220#) and I'm 212. So if you can save another $1K on a standard I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
went and checked out the bike. Didn't start it or anything like that. Owner just told me where it was parked. There was alot more corrosion and paint flaking (head) then I expected. Also alot of the carbon fiber bits looked like they had seen too much sun. Chain had a bit of rust on it too. Frame looked straight but it just looked like the owner either stored it outside in the rain or rode it alot in the rain. It is a 2007/2008 model though.

·
Smut peddler
1,213 Posts
For reference, I just picked up an '11 evo 1100 for $9200. It was mint, minus the hackjob headlight kit install. Granted, this was a midwest fall unload deal. but IMHO, I would rather overpay on something that is mint, than get a deal on something that seems under maintained. If they did'nt take care of it cosmetically, do you think they took care of the mechanical stuff any better? Good luck on your search, don't hesitate to travel a little to get one, the adventure is half the fun of buying stuff as far as I'm concerned.:cool:

·
Registered
218 Posts
For reference, I just picked up an '11 evo 1100 for $9200. It was mint, minus the hackjob headlight kit install. Granted, this was a midwest fall unload deal. but IMHO, I would rather overpay on something that is mint, than get a deal on something that seems under maintained. If they did'nt take care of it cosmetically, do you think they took care of the mechanical stuff any better? Good luck on your search, don't hesitate to travel a little to get one, the adventure is half the fun of buying stuff as far as I'm concerned.:cool:
I agree with him. Plus just by reading what you wrote it sounds like you weren't 100% on it. If its not the right bike for you at the right price then either move on or tell him your concerns and price out the parts that need to be replaced and talk him down to what it's really worth. Maybe look down here in SoCal one weekend. A bunch here that I got to pick from.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Note to seller: Clean the F---k'in thing up jeez, at least try to present the bike well..
Walk away, if he cannot even find time to give it a spit shine doubt he had time to take good care of it.

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The only reason I considered this bike was because of the modifications and the maintenance history. He had all the services done up to 15k. I am going to keep looking though. I cant really buy a bike unless its local until the 13th of Jan. Appreciate the advice guys. I just want a HYPER! Ive gone without a bike for too long!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts