Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this ST with these heated grips already installed; however, there is no controller.

Does anyone know which grips they are? I would really like to get them working for some winter riding but have zero experience with heated gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Even if you dont know which grips they are, advice as to how to get them up and running would be helpful as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
I'm not familiar w/ that connector. Are the heated grips the overlay part, or the rubber grip itself?

In any event, that I would do is ohm out the value of the resistance on those 2 pins.

Most grips are wired in parallel (getting 12V to each grip). A few might need to be wired in series (6V to each grip).

But basically, they're about 10 to 15 watts each, when they're on 100%.
R = V squared / P
So if they're dintended for 12V, it approx. should measure out at 10 or 12 Ohms.
If it measures around there, I would apply 12V to each one and see if they are still working.

If they heat, then you should be able to use any heat controller for them. A cheap one to buy online is on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DC-Mo...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

It handles up to 5A. Your grips should be using no more than 2.5A at 100%

Note that you'll probably want to water-proof the circuit board to make it last...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not familiar w/ that connector. Are the heated grips the overlay part, or the rubber grip itself?
The heated grips are the actual rubber grip, and you can see in the second picture has a little button with what looks to be an l.e.d. I just have covers on them right now, which is the bit you see peeled back.

Thanks for the detailed advice instructions on diagnosing the voltage.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to Sticks advice, I hooked my meter up to the 2 pins and it ohms out just over 10. I DID ELECTRONICS! haha I then hooked up 12v to the grips individually and they work! Even the little blue leds light up. Each grip has its own button to turn on and off, which I never noticed.

Still searching for a decent controller that will accept these 2 pin connectors. I was told by a buddy they look to be similar to the connectors used for sonar/dept finder systems on boats of similar vintage. Anyone have any idea about what these 2 pin connectors could be?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts