Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Garmin GPS that I would like to use on my '06 Sport Classic. Doesn't really matter to me if it has the ball mount or if the GPS is just doublesided taped to the mount. I have seen tons of different mounts on ebay, most of which clamp on to the handlebars. What has worked well for you???

Thanks,

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I am assuming you have a GT? Ramm mount has a good one. On my SC I have a tank bag which carries GPS.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Dave - unless your Garmin is designed for motorcycles, I wouldn't spend too much on a mount because you'll find those designed for cars lack sufficient sun blocking or whatever to be viewable on a bike except on cloudy days or at night. My $20 clamp on ball mount for my cheapo Tom Tom worked fine, although it didn't get much use. It's pretty stable and goes on/off easily, but I might have invested more in one if I didn't have a windscreen.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have a 2006 Sport Classic mono. I hadn't considered that a 'car' GPS wouldn't work that well. Guess I have to start shopping for a motorcycle GPS.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I need something too. I have clip ons and need something very slim to mount it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
230 Posts
Dave,

Here is the link to a thread with a couple of solutions for you. I own a bmw navigator gps which is essentially a zumo 660 and came up with a custom mount for my PS. I went this way so I can switch the unit between my truck, PS and R12GS.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/139795-gps.html

cheers

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
758 Posts
I thought about it for a while. But there was no place to mount it on the bars. I know, because I went through the same exercise with my Contour. I ended up using a RAM mount to the trellis frame, which is fine for the cam, but obviously not for a GPS.

Anyway, since it couldn't be on the bars, I thought any other location would be a distraction, forcing me to look away from the road in order to view the GPS.

And yes, unless it is an outdoor unit, the sunlight will make it really hard to see.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have one of these

Motorcycle GPS Ball Angle Mount Garmin Nuvi | eBay

bolted through one of the existing holes in the top triple clamp inboard of the pinch slot for the tops of the fork tubes. Works well, the GPS is easily viewed, it's light weight, resonably priced, fits perfectly with no modifications to my bike and it is a very nicely machined aluminum part that doesn't look out of place even without the GPS installed. I used a longer bolt through a 1/2 inch aluminum spacer to raise it up high enough that the GPS doesn't hit the tank under full steering lock and an O ring under it to prevent scratching the triple clamp. Works for me. I can remove it it about 30 seconds when I don't want it on the bike. Of course this wouldn't work on a GT with handle bars instead of clip ons. I run the GPS power cord into my tank bag where I have a cigarette lighter plug that is connected to my Battery Tender plug for power.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I have an older Garmin GPS that I would like to use on my '06 Sport Classic. Doesn't really matter to me if it has the ball mount or if the GPS is just doublesided taped to the mount. I have seen tons of different mounts on ebay, most of which clamp on to the handlebars. What has worked well for you???

Thanks,

Dave
First thing I would do if I was you would be look into a Motorcycle specific GPS. After trying a few different Automotive GPS I decided to go with a Motorcycle GPS and picked up a Garmin 350LM and like it alot. It allows you to preload/ design custom routes which I like when I want to download from Motorcycle Roads | SundayMorningRides.com and take twisty roads and scenic routes suggested by other bikers.

The things I like most about the 350LM are:
1) comes with a Ram capitable cradle
2) power connections to wire to bike battery
3) waterproof
4) bluetooth connect to my Sena SMH-10 Helmet set
5) Custom Map

All you need is to do is find a mount and place to mount it. I elected to go with a Ram Mount that attaches to my Clutch Master Cylinder.

Here is a pic of an older Garmin 500 (which is a decent motorcycle GPS as it is waterproof) on this mount:

and not such a good shot of the 350LM:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I bought a tom-tom rider and it came with a RAM mount, which I though was SO fugly that I couldn't stand it for one minute.

I had a z-technique plate mount I used for my go pro so I fiddled with it and got a fairly good result:

I mounted the ring clamp (or whatever you call it) of the Ztech mount to one of the 2 posts that hold the tach to its bracket (the one on the left), and ran the arm of the Ztech mount straight up between the tach and the top of the triple T.

I had removed the plate from the plate mount, exposing the end-bit of the arm with its fitment for the screw which holds the plate, and then I used the same screw to fix the GPS mount onto the end-bit of the arm, in order to have it sit in front of the clocks.

Here are some pix attached, one close up with some indications on it so hopefully it makes sense...

I don't have one of the setup without the GPS unit, but basically once removed, only the GPS mount remains and it's fairly small and doesn't get in the way of anything...

One downside: Looking at the gPS requires me to look away from the road, and can be dangerous in city driving. So I'm thinking of getting the bluetooth headset in order to hear the GPS talk me through the directions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
So I'm thinking of getting the bluetooth headset in order to hear the GPS talk me through the directions.

That's the best solution, then you can just put it in your pocket/bag and the only remaining worry is battery life.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts