Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't usually ride either of my Ducatis on a regular basis, and since its now winter for most people, most bikers are probably riding less, so which gas are people going with? Pump gas contains ethanol, so that is a big factor for me. I know there are ethanol free gas options, as well as race gas.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Regular grade pump gas at all times. If sitting for a while, like right now as it is off season, I put in a dose of marine grade STA-BIL. Marine grade STA-BIL (blue stuff) specifically says it's for preserving Ethanol gas. I chose it over other brands like Star Tron (which I have also used) because it is easy to add the right amount as the bottle provides a way to measure out the amount you need. Seems to work fine. I also use it in my storage gas. I keep 20 Gallons on hand for my generator, snow blower and lawn equipment. Each fall I refill and use the marine grade STA-BIL. Stores fine.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I use normal pump-grade gas, same as Dan. But note, his 2 bikes and most of mine have steel tanks. If your bike has the factory plastic tank, then that may bias your decision.

The plastic tanks from Italy seem to have an absorption issue with the ethanol, making the tanks swell over time, and even causing the paint to bubble and blister in some cases.

Speaking of "what bike do you have" -- we like to see people on this forum add a signature line, that includes the bikes that you have. It saves us from asking, especially when trying to diagnose your issue(s).

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have 5 Ducati's that I ride, but winter is always a bit of a challenge. I always take the opportunity to take them out when it's dry and salt free to avoid them sitting for more than a couple of weeks.

I always seek out ethanol free gas, especially when sitting.
Use search engines to find them locally. https://www.pure-gas.org/

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
I put 90 rec gas (b/c that's the highest grade of non-ethanol around me) at all times unless I'm on the road and can't find non ethanol high test. I ride year round though.

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
My state doesn't have any gas stations that provide non-EtOH contaminated fuel. So, like Dan, I use Sta-bil. I use the standard stuff though...I wasn't aware of the marine product. Something new to try!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been running VP T4 gas in my both my street Ducati motorcycles (848 and 999) if I know I will be riding one a bit more I'll mix a little 93 pump gas. Now my KTM race bike (450sx-f factory) does not seem to like the T4, though it will run on pump 93 or race gas VP U4.4. Last time I ran T4 in the KTM my fuel filters got clogged up, so I am a little hesitant to use it in my other bikes not.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
I'm fortunate enough live where I can ride all year, but can recommend aviation gas. Its similar to race gas (100LL = 95 octane) but a bit cheaper. A friend sold me on the stuff for anything sitting around for a while. He had 6 year old av gas in the 900SS I bought from him. He hadn't drained the bowls or anything. Here is what the bowls looked like when I pulled them.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I use non ethanol in my S4RS and ‘77 Bonneville, premium ethanol 10% in the rest.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I'm fortunate enough live where I can ride all year, but can recommend aviation gas. Its similar to race gas (100LL = 95 octane) but a bit cheaper. A friend sold me on the stuff for anything sitting around for a while. He had 6 year old av gas in the 900SS I bought from him. He hadn't drained the bowls or anything. Here is what the bowls looked like when I pulled them.
100LL has so much lead in it, most every aviator I know runs a lead scavenging agent in addition to the one included in 100LL. The search for an alternative has been going on for decades but the end is close now. But don't worry, before you carbon the valves up, you will probably foul the plugs. As an added bonus, you get to bypass the road taxes and emission regulations. I guess the lack of additives may make it suitable for winter storage but I wouldn't run it. Some old timers still use it to wash parts and airplanes with by sticking it in a garden sprayer because it dries pretty much residue free but by today's standards, they are washing their hands in a lead bath.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I have been running VP T4 gas in my both my street Ducati motorcycles (848 and 999) if I know I will be riding one a bit more I'll mix a little 93 pump gas. Now my KTM race bike (450sx-f factory) does not seem to like the T4, though it will run on pump 93 or race gas VP U4.4. Last time I ran T4 in the KTM my fuel filters got clogged up, so I am a little hesitant to use it in my other bikes not.
I have been using the T4 in my S1k as it is really the only E-free fuel around my area (Mlukason speaks the truth). As it is just a Sunday ride I buy 35gal drum and use it till out, stores fine, no tank warping. Wish I did not have to go through that though.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have never had any sort of issue with T4 until now, and I have the same gas from the same jug in my Ducati's (no issue)... maybe there was just some dirt in the tank or something, cleaned the injector, and all the filters, put a little pump 93 in it and it ran fine.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I run 90 rec, ethanol free gas in my bikes, lawn equipment, and daily drivers. Fortunately being so close to great boating we have lots of stations with it.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I put SeaFoam additive in most everything I own , but especially the bikes and small engines.

·
Registered
763 Posts
gas in their Ducatis...

I have been putting 91 octane no ethanol gasoline in my SS/SP since this spring. Phillips 66 station is 45 minutes away, so I take all my gas cans and put Stabil in when I get home, supply lasting about a month of riding. No worries about ethanol fouling carbs if Ducati stays in the garage. Still only paying $3.10/gal for the trouble of chasing no ethanol gasoline down.

Fred

:smile2:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Mostly 91 octane with ethanol as Petro Canada stations are as prevalent as donut shops in my area and don't carry non-ethanol.
However, I use non-ethanol Shell 91 for winter storage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I read online this week that Trump was in Iowa and made a big deal about promoting more widespread use of E15. Not so good for motorcycles if it becomes a reality...

*** This is not a political rant, so please don't take it that way.

·
Registered
763 Posts
gas in their Ducatis....

Trump in Iowa-Iowa grows lots of corn-ethanol is made from corn-support farmers who grow corn-get the farm vote.

The future is often badly guessed...

Fred

1 - 20 of 26 Posts