Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Basic question. I understand the OEM Marzocchi forks on my SC have one for rebound, the other compression.

I checked the service manual and cannot find which is which. How can we tell them apart?

I've been to told to put 2.5wt oil in the compression leg, and 5wt in the rebound.

How does that sound? Trying to deal with head shake.

Thanks.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I am pretty sure the stock forks are not adjustable. You could change the oil to change the damping, but you can't adjust it with adjusters on the forks like you can on "better" forks.

For head shake, I guess depending on how it's happening....I'd think a steering damper would be the "cure"

I'm sure someone will chime in soon to confirm or deny my hypothesis :)

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
You’re going to be able to tell them apart by removing the springs , but not the oil, and attempting to compress the fork leg slowly. The leg with compression damping will resist, the leg with rebound damping won’t resist, but will resist on extension. I’m surprised the manual doesn’t differentiate, but there are lots of things in the manual I’d like more explanation on.

·
Premium Member
5,165 Posts
I checked my notes and have that the left leg is really only a bottoming stop and has little damping. Most I used the same oil in each but one I did use different oils with good results.

with 1.0 springs I used 10wt in the right and 5wt in the left.
preload was set at 15mm and the sag was right for 190lb dry weight rider.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Weigh yourself right after you change your “ Depends “ .

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Yes, I believe the compression leg is the left one, but it is immediately obvious when you take off the top nut and spring and pump the damper rod - the compression damper appears not to do anything, whereas the rebound damper is easy to compress but tough to pull out again.

Put 2.5 oil in the compression leg and 10 wt in the rebound and head shake disappears. I don't run a steering damper and my bike never shakes it's head, plus I'm perfectly happy with the ride that the forks give.

BTW, when undoing the fork top nut, loosen the top clamp bolts on the yoke first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts