Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy--over the weekend my voltage regulator gave up the ghost. I tracked down an FH012 from a '07 R1 (is okay to use a used regulator?). Now I need to buy an Eastern Beaver kit to connect the regulator to the battery and the alternator.

R/R Connectors

Any ideas on where to check on my bike to find out which setup I need and what length to buy (for "Part B - The alternator connection" about halfway down the page of the above link)? I looked near the alternator (left side cover) but all I could find were two black wires going into the left cover of the engine case through 1" black screw in plastic caps.

Any advice much appreciated.

And for my next trick, I'll make this bike disappear!

·
Registered
429 Posts
You connect the two wires from your alternator to the regulator connector that has provisions for three leads. Connect your wires to any two points in the connector, it doesn't matter which ones you choose. Good luck!

·
Registered
98 Posts
You will need to make an adapter plate too, the FH012 won't fit your stock mounting holes. I just cut a small piece of aluminum bar stock when i did mine, then drilled two holes to match the factory hole spacing, and two more about 2 inches lower (to give enough clearance for the new regulator) to match the new regulator hole spacing then for convenience, I used some alumiweld to put some zinc plated nuts permanently on the back of the plate to make it easier to mount and unmount the regulator, works great.

Your stock alternator wires will probably be too short to reach the regulator, so you'll want to buy the wiring kit from eastern beaver and either solder the alternator leads directly to any two of the three wires, or, perhaps a better idea would be to just buy the metripack-3 connecter from him as well and put a connecter there. Thats exactly what I did when I did my upgrade, although I am using a FH010 reg. My charging system has never worked better :)

I did take the time to remove the stator from the engine and replace the stock alternator wires as well. Use something heavier gauge if you do, like 14 gauge. That will cope with the high current better than the stock wires. If your wires look burnt or "crispy" at all, I'd replace them. It's not a difficult job, but definitely one to be careful when doing.

Best of luck and enjoy the city, I sure miss it :(

Bryan

·
Registered
100 Posts
Drdds-

my 1st new bike in '78 was a red XS750E.

Another coincidence...I'm running FH010 in both my '98 VFR and Duc with zero issues.

And I replaced heated/cracked stator output wires as well. Would suggest
if you're not familiar with soldering, to enlist someone who is. No costly mistakes here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts