Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
very nice bike that 851 tricolore,i'm a big fan of the 851 and 888.
but for me the 916 is still THE superbike.

henk!!!

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I've always thought of the 851 as the first Ducati Superbike but the 916 as the "iconic" Superbike. I suppose one could argue that the '70's SS was a "superbike" for it's time though.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I suppose one could argue that the '70's SS was a "superbike" for it's time though.
With no definition given as to what "Superbike" means, I would absolutely offer up that argument. 1974 750SS, no question... Triple disk brakes, desmo heads, no compromises for comfort/street use, already had established racing pedigree, how can that not fit the description of a superbike?

*BTW - I'm saying it's the first Ducati superbike, not necessarily the first Superbike. Though I'm not sure what bike would fit that description.

·
Registered
370 Posts
No question 916.
D

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
74 750SS, no competition. The 916 revolutionized the design side of "Sport Bikes" but is in no way the first ducati super bike.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ducati 750F1. Many regard it as the first Ducati Superbike.

The term “Superbike”, as many has argued, is a production derivative of a genuine racing bike. And the 750F1 was trully that. It was the derivative of Ducati racing bike the TT1 and the TT2.

TT1 and TT2 were Ducati race bike that participate at the TT World Championship. Just like the Desmosedici RR that is the derivative of the Desmosedici GP-6.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Very nice! I love my 93 888! That was the first true "Superbike"....in my mind! :D But then again I look at my 996 & 749 & 1098 and say.....yup, the 888 is the first Superbike!

·
Registered
334 Posts
998 for me, the best model in the greatest Ducati bike series 916-998 ever.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
The first DUCATI superbike was in my mind one of the following..

The 1979 Ducati 900 Mike Hailwood Replica
The Mike Hailwood™ Replica, the latest development of the renowned 900 Super Sport, was produced by Ducati to celebrate its first World Championship title. Created for hard-core Ducatisti, the bike was not even fitted with an electric starter. Stately and impressive, it was truly a biker’s bike.
http://www.ducati.com/heritage/anni70/900mhr/900mhr.jhtml

The 1984 Ducati 750 F1
One of the most stunning creations of its time, the 750 F1 remains one of the most highly sought after bikes in Ducati history. The F1 is a truly minimalist bike; there is nothing ornamental or unneccessary about it, and its every detail and component conveys this as the essence of a bike.

http://www.ducati.com/heritage/anni80/750f1/750f1.jhtml

The 1987 Ducati 851
The Ducati 851 was a Ducati motorcycle, with liquid cooling and four valve heads, released to the public in 1987

http://www.ducati.com/heritage/anni90/851sbk/851sbk.jhtml

Those would be the top 3 in my book for the title "First Ducati Superbike for roaduse" Oh.. and the 851 is the first bike to GET the name SUPERbike.

Where i to choose ONE, the MHR would be it.

//amullo

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah, add another one for the 851. First 4 valve water cooled designated Superbike. Also the frame used for the Monster I believe.

·
Flying Brit
1,809 Posts
The true first Superbike and in the era of fast Japanese bikes? has to be the 851 Superbike! even though I love my 888 and 916, the 851 is what truly what started it all.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts