Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, looking for input on this. Been tossing around the idea to sell both my bikes (916 and 900RR) and getting something that combines the good in both of those into one all around good bike.

I love the 916, looking at it, the power, sound and riding it (in 45minute bursts). I hate the fact that after 45min or so, my wrists, hips, back, shoulders and knees hurt. Plus, I don't have a lot of very fun roads in my immediate area to ride on to keep it fun. It's about a 2 hour ride just to get to the fun roads, by which time I'm incredibly uncomfortable.

The CBR is fun because its super fast (bored out motor), much more comfortable and easy to ride. It is old though (in great shape though) and has 27k miles. Its not too great on gas and again, there are hardly any roads on it to have fun on. If I started track riding, I wouldn't want something this fast to start on either.

I've narrowed it down to 4 models that I would choose from. It has to be a Duc, I won't have it any other way!

S2R1000
S4RS
1100 (non evo unless price is right)
Streetfighter (base)

I've never ridden any of these but I figure based on the power of my current bikes and my previous experience with the monster, these would all be good candidates.

So, what would you guys recommend? I figure my budget will be around $9k with a little wiggle room obviously for the right bike. The appeal of the 1100 and Streetfighter is the service intervals, but I prefer the looks of the older monster. I'm also a bit concerned that the Streetfighter is a bit too much power. Also, gas mileage isn't a huge concern, but I do like to ride longish trips.

Thanks!

·
Upright Racer
889 Posts
Based on your complaints about them both, not having any roads to have fun on, I wouldn't think any of the above would be a good choice. The streetfighter is a twisty road bike and not much more comfy than your 916 I would imagine. One of the Monsters would be my choice, but they are still a lot more fun in the twisties. The only Ducs that I feel fit your description would be either a Diavel or a Multistrada. The Diavel can handle the curves, but is more suited for the flatlanders, while the Multi is a fun bike to take off the beaten path when you want. It can handle anything you could possibly throw at it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have an 08 1098s and an 05 S4r. Both are comfortable for me but the S4R is so much fun. It has the 996 motor just enough power. The big difference between that and the S4Rs is the latter has the 998 motor and the superbike transmission. That's alot of power for a small frame

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Based on your complaints about them both, not having any roads to have fun on, I wouldn't think any of the above would be a good choice. The streetfighter is a twisty road bike and not much more comfy than your 916 I would imagine. One of the Monsters would be my choice, but they are still a lot more fun in the twisties. The only Ducs that I feel fit your description would be either a Diavel or a Multistrada. The Diavel can handle the curves, but is more suited for the flatlanders, while the Multi is a fun bike to take off the beaten path when you want. It can handle anything you could possibly throw at it.
I thought about the Mutli, but I think its physically too large for me. I'm only 5'7" so even the 916 has me on my toes. Plus I think the 1200 is outta my price range. Maybe I'm wrong?

Hadn't considered the Diavel since its new and expensive though. I like them, not sure how much I like it though...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Also The S2r1000 would be lacking on horse power cause it's air cooled

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also The S2r1000 would be lacking on horse power cause it's air cooled

I was thinking that, but its not like I really need that much power. It would be nice to have a little extra for those "situations".....

Have you ridden a 916 ever? Do you know how the S4R compares? Or a S4rs vs a s4r? I'm not opposed to a s4r, I just looked at the Rs because I would like something newer and I love the color schemes.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Never rode a 916, but I have owned a 748s , 749 and a 999. The s4r power is more like the 916, the 4rs is like the 999. The s4rs does come with the OLINS and the white color scheme. Which is awesome. I have actually put OLINS on my s4r and gonna paint it like the s4rs

·
Registered
332 Posts
A friend of mine on CA who I got my Monster from knows alot about all the Ducs. Drop him an email. [email protected]. tell Mike his painter sent u

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I was thinking that, but its not like I really need that much power. It would be nice to have a little extra for those "situations".....

Have you ridden a 916 ever? Do you know how the S4R compares? Or a S4rs vs a s4r? I'm not opposed to a s4r, I just looked at the Rs because I would like something newer and I love the color schemes.
Just how much power is enough ? There's not a road in PA that I can't get thrown under the jail in 4th gear on.

Don't write off the S2r1000 just because it's air cooled. They've got a fair bit of punch.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear ya, I originally wanted a S2R since I hear nothing but good things about it, but that little voice in my head kept saying go for the gold (ie s4rs....). I really wish I could ride one but there's nothing local. Honestly, the 916 is more than enough for a novice like me, I just want to prevent shopping again next year (but let's face it, I probably will be anyway....). S2r's can be had for a steal too, I'm going to have to do a little searching tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
916 and 900RR
You don't know what you've got until it's gone.

Handlebar risers and adaptors to drop your footpegs down is a better alternative!

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
SS1000ds.
It's got the punch, cheap maintenance and it's enough to scare yourself on, if you can get past the looks..
Plus it am be made comfy for touring. Ask Bruce19 what he thinks.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 12 of 12 Posts