Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently own two norton commandos and a gt1000. Love them all but the diavel is upon me. Looking for the biggest bang for the buck. The strata seems to be the best fit, I'm 6'1, 250(solid), 66 years old. Am I better off buying the base model or ponying up the xtra 4 large for the strada? Never done any long range touring but this bike will change that. Is the luggage, screen, and heated accessories worth the 4k$? W/ my revit coat, full face, boots and gloves I'm good at 75 mph and 40degrees. Hate to spend the xtra bucks if I can buy better bags, windscreen, etc. for less than the additional price of the strada. Of course the gt and one of the norty's. wil have to go so I need to get this right as best I can. Thanks, rick

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Currently own two norton commandos and a gt1000. Love them all but the diavel is upon me. Looking for the biggest bang for the buck. The strata seems to be the best fit, I'm 6'1, 250(solid), 66 years old. Am I better off buying the base model or ponying up the xtra 4 large for the strada? Never done any long range touring but this bike will change that. Is the luggage, screen, and heated accessories worth the 4k$? W/ my revit coat, full face, boots and gloves I'm good at 75 mph and 40degrees. Hate to spend the xtra bucks if I can buy better bags, windscreen, etc. for less than the additional price of the strada. Of course the gt and one of the norty's. wil have to go so I need to get this right as best I can. Thanks, rick
Dang. I think it would be tough getting rid of the GT and a Norton for something that, even though very nice, is not really as valuable. I know it is not in your equation as of now but have you seen the AMG? I think, of the the diavels, it's the nicest looking and most original one. It also has potential of being a collectors bike, just like the norton and the GT you are letting go. These are my 2 cents. I could be wrong. Very wrong. Otherwise I would say the diavel strada if you really want the bags and extra goodies for touring. Putting those in aftermarket form might get expensive quick. Good luck with your research. ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I spoke with a dealer several weeks ago who said that the strada had a completely different subframe to accomodate a longer seat and the bags. He hinted that the new subframe may be available separately as a retrofit to exixting models at a Ducati $ price.

·
Premium Member
12,501 Posts
Well it is a matter of personal choice I think the AMG is not worth the extra $$$. I dont care for the white color ...Hows that !!! Just my opinion of course.

At 66 you should be able to make your own mind up, I know you are just looking for some opinions with your research...

With your other bikes I can imagine that after some time they lose their appeal (Possibly)
I just love getting something new , and rarely hold onto vehicles for a long time.

MAKE sure you want a Diavel...
Buyers remorse is a VERY BAD feeling...
I would consider the Diavel being short in the leg department.

The wind protection is pretty good on the Multi, better than it looks , (for me anyways)

Why not PM some Diavel owners that you think are on the same wave length as you are , and get their response.
Usually members her are very willing to answer if you ask them point blank.

You have to like what you get and $$$ is not well spent if you are lacking what you want.

Looks seem to be a tradeable item to get the actual preformance and protection and ride you are after, wuth bags etc.

Usually bags are like a garage it never seems to be roomy enuff , no matter how large.

Tough decision and worth doing lots of research to get what you are after...

Take any test rides yet?
they usually seal the deal...
Spend more time in the seat and look long and hard at the wind protection. MANY Multi owners squwak about the wind on the Multi but it does not bother me . So to each their own.

What ever you get make sure about it and take your time and get it right...

You will forget how much you pay for sumpthing if you really like it and are happy with it, it will matter less.
Now if you wanted something and don't get it then it is harder to forget about the price paid...

Enjoy the search and journey and be open minded about everything....
Too much is better than not enuff...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought my combat commando 4 yrs ago, my first bike ever, completely rebuilt it and learned on it. Traded an ar-15 for an 850 norton in pieces but in great shape, don't ask. Rebuilt him, assembled and upgraded. Love those two but kick starting a bike even if its well set up has been problematic due to severe arthritis in r knee. I can still start them but its an event. Enter the gt1000. Replica 70's bike w/balls AND electric start. Love that bike and the kick in the pants acceleration compared to the norty's. seems from my research the diavelriding position is even more user friendly than the gt. I know I've gotta ride one to be sure. Circumnavigation of the continental us is on the bucket list and I ain't into no Harley or Japan iron. Love the idea of a light, fly by wire, powerful machine and hey I'd still have one of the norty's. I know, I know i gotta ride one and I will. Thanks for the replies, Rick

·
Registered
393 Posts
Strada or not, just make sure you know where the gas stations are if touring on the Diavel.

I love my Carbon Red, this bike has some serious acceleration from a standstill, is a hoot to ride, and 1.5 years later puts the same smile on my face as it did the first day I took her home.

I just make sure I know where the gas stations are on longer rides, since range is not one of the strong points of the bike. The Strada doesn't have a larger tank than other Diavels, so I believe this will still be an issue for longer rides. I don't mind it, but I don't tour. If you know the range and don't mind it, I think it can be a great very sporty and very comfy touring bike.

The stock seat on the Carbons and base models isn't comfy either beyond about 100 miles at a time - not sure as I haven't tried it, but the Strada seat definitely looks like it's a lot more comfortable for long trips. Add that to the cost of upgrades if you don't go Strada.

Personally, if long range touring was the main purpose, I would consider a Strada. I like the bags but hate the screen, although that's a personal preference. The thing is, most of my riding is short or day rides, and for the occasional long ride it would be nice to have the Strada subframe, seat, and bags to switch with my stock stuff and then switch back for normal riding once I get home.

Oh and I had heated grips on my previous BMW and even here in Florida with some cold (45 degrees F) mornings recently I was missing them - will be adding those to my CR for sure!

Good luck with your decision, let us know how the test rides go!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.