Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a custom build and I want to know which chassis/swingarm would be the lowest weight.
Considering the 999 with the dual side swingarm or the 848/1198 with the single side arm.
I think the 916 chassis has a heavier single side swingarm, but would like to confirm.

Does anyone have numbers on these?
Are there opinions on these for handling?

This is for track use only, so my interest is in weight and handling only.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
1098-1198. For what its worth I wouldn't be basing any Ducati build around frame weight. 916-999 has adjustable head angle and coupled with adjustable (aftermarket) clamps will give you far more options to tailor the bike to suit you. Almost infinite adjustability or a few kilo's of weight. It's a no brainer.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Also the rear set tabs on the xx98/848 are known breaking on a drop/crash. No the case on prior frames.

I have no experience on this, but I hear the xx98/848 frames offer more flex and are ultimately inferior to the older frames. Something that you would see at the track.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
The 10-1198 are every bit as stiff as previous frames. What they lost by removing the trianglulation they gained with bigger diameter and reduced wall thickness tube. They also got rid of a few castings and the head angle concentric to bring the weight down.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the input. I am leaning towards a 999 set-up currently. Hope to find a deal on this older model chassis now to build from.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
748R frame and mag swingarm?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts