Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning 1098 and HM I'm on the market for 999R factory race replica. Which you think would be the best bike to own? I know that 06 would have the most power. I'm looking at 06 Xerox bike and 04 Fila.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
A buddy of mine traded his Fila for a Xerox and swears that the Xerox is better for some reason. More power was his first remark, then better chassie.

I´d go for a Xerox myself, but thats just because I´m a Bayliss fan.

//amullo

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
A buddy of mine traded his Fila for a Xerox and swears that the Xerox is better for some reason. More power was his first remark, then better chassie.

I´d go for a Xerox myself, but thats just because I´m a Bayliss fan.

//amullo
Come to CT. We can go for a ride....me on my SS1000DS and you on my 998 Bayliss.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
I would if i could buddy.. Maybe next year.. Me and my bro are thinking about a US tour :) We need to hit Tri-state (Used to live in Maine), Texas, Montana and Cali.. :)

Maybe fly over and roadtrip around? That could work.

//Anders

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
My understanding is the '05 and '06 bikes have the same engine and chassis. The Xerox rep has the TTX shock. The earlier bikes are almost as powerful despite the claimed difference of 150bhp vs 139bhp. The difference is mostly due to the change from claiming power at the countershaft sprocket to claiming it at the crank that occurred in 2005. My fave is the FILA rep

·
Flying Brit
1,809 Posts
Amongst obvious visible differences the 05-06 valves are different and also larger. my 03 999R rides beautifully on the street and I have heard that the 03-04's have better mid-range to make them slightly better on the street than the 05-06. My 05 is on the track so I cannot compare like for like and I have not seen comparision dyno charts to see if this is so. I think if I was to buy again the Xerox would be my choice.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The '05/'06's have much better cams, larger Ti valves w/tapered collets. The '03/'04 is the same shorter stroke bigger bore than a 999S but basicaly the same motor performance wise, down about 13HP from the '05/'06. On our Dyno is about 134 compared to 147 with all things being equal. The '03/'04 would make a better street bike like Ducaterv said since it's not so cammy and services are easier having standard valve keepers.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
05 and 06 are better because of the engine updates, but purely for the looks i prefer the 04R (or the Fila) because of the "old" style front fairing.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
The Xerox rep has the TTX shock.
TTX shock???? The only TTX technology based shock Ohlins made for the xx9 bikes was only used in WSBK. The Xerox rep comes with the three way adjustable (I think DU3150 shock), which is a substantial improvement over the base one. Though it doesn't have the rear link or shorter throw of the 749R... which is interesting.

Here is the text from the Ducati magazine on the bike:
"Öhlins 'Racing' rear suspension with double damping adjuster in compression, aluminium body, counter-spring and spring pre-load setting."

So to answer the OP's question... the Xerox 999R is a superior model to the base 999R of the same year.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
274 Posts
You want the 05 up because more power and the engine mods listed before. But the swing arm is much beefier and looks much better. I think the 05 and later look the best, but I have a 05! Hmmm!

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
This is a personal thing, but after I completed upgrades like carbon fiber bits, I believe the color combinations on my 03 999R makes it a stand out. Its the overall look of the red fairings, the cf borders, grey frame, etc. I also used a new buffing system on the bike and the color pops much more than before. I suppose you can say its the details that count.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Totally agree
05 and 06 are better because of the engine updates, but purely for the looks i prefer the 04R (or the Fila) because of the "old" style front fairing.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Get as new a bike as you can find. My 06 is heavily modified, but made 154rear wheel hp and 104 Nm of torque with extremely rich ECU settings. With proper air fuel ratio, 160+ rear wheel hp is possible. Stout. Makes life hard on GSX-Rs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I say go for the newer model, of course I'm biased! :) I like the '05-up front fairing better, also like the newer swingarm better and the upgraded engine is a bonus(although I use mine on the track).

·
Registered
50 Posts
First post here! Just traded an F4R for a Xerox and the 999R is now my favorite bike yet. I've ridden the xx98 series and frankly much prefer the riding position, build quality and uniqueness of the 999's. I originally set out to find a traditional red R but stumbled across the Xerox. Didn't think I'd like having a bunch of graphics on the bike but that changed quickly when seeing it in person. The quality of the paint alone is the best I've ever seen on any bike. Truly comparable to the quality you'd find on an exotic supercar. It definately outdoes my previous MV in the looks department and i loved that bike. Good luck with your search. You can't go wrong with any 999R imo. Just make sure to ride it. I'm always surprised by the number of low mileage R's. These bikes are meant to be ridden!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So what is a good price on 06 999R Xerox?

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Hmmm, I added an Ohlins rear shock, custom sprung to my base 2003 999 and it looks a bit different then the standard 2005' + 999 and 999R Ohlins rear unit......that said I definately like the 2003 999R ! Red w/ Ducati "racing grey" frame and a CF rear cowl sets it apart from the newer 05' models. I'm not much into the boy racer livery-however the "FILA" replica looks the best. You can get them w/ the old grey sand casted swinger or the newer Yamaha R1 look-a-like swinger.....either or. I don't like the maintenance of the newer valve collets, that = $$$$...plus didn't some later 999R's come w/o a numbered plaque? Believe me any R would be nice to own and anybody who has one no matter what year is very fortunate.......John this means you, you dog!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Just in case someone is looking for a pristine condition Xerox, there is one with I believe 2K miles @ www.supermoto.com in St. James, NY

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
First post here! Just traded an F4R for a Xerox and the 999R is now my favorite bike yet. quote]

Hello PNW999r - did you pick up the bike that MotoCorsa had on consignment? I seem to recall that bike as being #0064. I'll look for you in my travels. There's another Xerox running around Portland; belongs to a guy named Jim. Have fun - you have a great machine there.

Larry

1 - 20 of 32 Posts