Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know similar questions have been asked on numerous occasions, and I have done quite a bit of research on the subject.

I have read Shazaam!’s very informative post on this subject:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=18854

I’ve seen the Dyno charts on the Sigma Performance website:
http://www.sigmaperformance.com/996biptech.html

I’ve read threads on here and elsewhere:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=61239&highlight=madduc

The bike is a 996. It has the following relevant modifications:

- Pistal High Comp Pistons
- G-Cams
- 54mm Throttle bodies from Vee-Two
- 54mm full Termignoni system
- Large capacity carbon airbox from Vee-Two
- Larger carbon air runners
- Corse carbon large oil breather tank
- 1.6M ECU, Power Commander III and relevant chip

The bike is to be raced in the UK’s National Endurance series, which comprises 6-hour events.

In its standard road going form the bike did have an ITG aftermarket, over the velocity stack filter. This was mostly for safety, and previously the locking bolt thingy from the tank had been lost down bell mouths (f*ck!).

However, from everything I have read these types of filters reduce air flow and resonance in the airbox, resulting in a loss in horse power. Given that we’re racing a 9 year old bike against modern R1s and the ilk, this is not what we want! I've read about between 3-10bhp loss due to these types of filters.

Having said that, I’m also concerned about the safety aspects of a crash resulting in crud going down the bell mouths. I can’t afford another rebuild this season.

Have considered the MadDuc filters, but are reluctant for two reasons:

- People saying that the filtration properties of these race filters aren’t great. I don’t mind regular cleaning of filters, and would do so after every race, but this bike will be flogged for 6 hours at a time, not a 15 lap sprint.

- They fit directly over the velocity stacks and adversely affect airflow around them.

I’ve considered the stock OEM in-air-runner filters, but those like the Pipercross filter won’t fit in our larger carbon airruners.

This leaves me thinking about the Superbike (Australia) filters:
http://www.ducationly.com.au/ducati_air_filters.html

We would lose the additional safety of having something covering the bell mouths, but would gain in that they take up very minimal space in the airbox and don’t disrupt velocity stack air flow. Their filtration properties look good (well, I haven’t seen anyone complain) and I’m happy to clean after every race.

Of course, as Shazaam! has pointed out in his article and on various threads, they don’t provide any Dyno charts comparing to stock OEM filters.

One Ducati dealer, had this to say about my query:

"I don't really have an opinion or preference on air filter, nor have tested for power gains etc.

I would say, ITG is good for safety, although standard filters do a bloody good job. Ideally you want, free flowing filter, minimal air flow intrusion, over the inlet tract. Lots of choice as you have found."

Doh!

What do you fine Ducati people on the Interwebs think? Are there other solutions I’m not aware of? Opinions please!

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
I've read that Superbike filters had a lot of complaints.

Pipercross makes some that fit over the stacks. And Tomtom over on Speedzilla has recorded NO loss with his ITG filters on his heavily modified 996.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I have large airtubes that have no filter provision, feeding into an EVR airbox was previously using ITG filer but now use BMC filters that slide into frames that are installed in the airbox - they are very easy to service/clean.

Although the intake cutouts in the airbox are standard size not large as per RS airbox.

Have heard that there have been sealing problems with the superbike Australia filters, the BMC fit really well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have large airtubes that have no filter provision, feeding into an EVR airbox was previously using ITG filter but now use BMC filters that slide into frames that are installed in the airbox - they are very easy to service/clean.
Thanks. Saw this picture over on Ducatisti.co.uk actually.

Can you point me in the right direction for a BMC supplier, so that I can get a view on the outrageous price?

Can you comment on the performance aspects of the BMC filters compared to other solutions?

How easy is it to fit the BMC air filter frames to the air box?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Thanks. Saw this picture over on Ducatisti.co.uk actually.

Can you point me in the right direction for a BMC supplier, so that I can get a view on the outrageous price?

Can you comment on the performance aspects of the BMC filters compared to other solutions?

How easy is it to fit the BMC air filter frames to the air box?
I got mine from Sportbikeshop http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/

As for performance, I have only previously used ITG and I fitted the filters as part of an overall 'package' (gas-flow, high comp, airbox, filters & PC3) so can't say what did what individually but I did get approx 15% power increase. I don't suppose they flow any more air than stock filters but I (and you) couldn't use them anyway due to the intake tubes.

Fitting is easy, you need to drill the the airbox (3 or 4 small holes per side) so that the fixing screws come from the outside into the frame into which the filters slide, there is a template for drilling and they absolutely do fit airtight into the airbox and don't interfere with the tube clips. To remove the filters you only need to remove the tank. They don't offer any protection if you crash in the gravel and the tank comes off but then only the ITG type would do that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got mine from Sportbikeshop http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/

They don't offer any protection if you crash in the gravel and the tank comes off but then only the ITG type would do that.
And we already know the disadvantages of that type of filter.

Thanks for the other info though, I'll go and have a look at Sportbikeshop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts