Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am close to a buying decision on the 1260S, and seek the experience of current (or past) owners on which accessories are worthwhile in their opinion. Also, are there are any third party options that are better quality or value than the OEM options.

I am already leaning towards the Touring and Urban accessory packs but do not rule out other brands if they are well-integrated with the bike. I believe the former Enduro Pack is not available on the 1260 but can be emulated by items from Ducati's catalog. However, since the savings from a Ducati Enduro Pack can't be had, is it better to consider other brands, such as SW-Motech (crash bars), Evotech (radiator & oil cooler screens + engine guard set), Altrider (larger kickstand base) and Darla (supplementary lights). Are there any other manufacturers of these items that I should consider, and are these useful/valuable accessories in the opinions of existing Multistrada owners? I confess that the Sports Pack has no appeal to me.

I have found my way about on a motorcycle by using maps for the last 50+ years but find the thought of a GPS navigator intriguing. Out here in the mountain west of the USA, cell phone coverage for iPhone-based systems is highly variable. Unfortunately, my knowledge of GPS systems is minimal, and I suspect that the "Ducati Zumo 395 Satellite Navigator Kit" may not be the best value at $999.95. What are good alternatives for both the navigator and mounts. I also have seen references to Zumo 396LMT-S and 595LM but haven't a clue as to the real-world performance and functional differences. Also, I understand that the Navihalter mount is well-regarded but probably no longer available. Is Ducati's own "High Navigator Mount Set" at $109.95 a good alternative, and will it accommodate different GPS units?

Finally, my garage is secure but I wonder if the DP anti-theft system ($443.60) is worthwhile for touring, when motel parking lots may be not be secure. Or is a good disc lock a better alternative?

I suspect there are other accessories that I should consider (seats, headlight/brake light modulators, etc). Please let me know what you have found from your experience. This may be my last motorcycle purchase, so I would like to get it right (although, so far I have already had 3 "last motorcycle purchases" :grin2: ).

Lots of questions but advice from Multistrada owners will be greatly appreciated. I have toured on other bikes, such as my Kawasaki ZZR1200 and even Ducati Sports Classic (!) but am looking for an easier life as I ride into my second 50 years on two wheels.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The touring pack, which you can get pre-installed on the bike, is a good deal if ordered that way, because you avoid the cost and inconvenience of installation. All the other packs, IMO are better purchased as individual pieces. The top case out of the urban pack is good kit, but there are better tank bags on the market, and the USB hub is horribly overpriced. Likewise with the enduro kit; the fog lights are quality, if expensive. Nice thing about them is they integrate with the controls natively. Others can be made to do the same, but require wiring work, the DP parts are plug and play (with a software upgrade). The crash bars are probably overpriced compared to the aftermarket competition, and the skid plate/radiator guards definitely are. Also, and this is personal preference, I think the brushed metal look of the DP components looks out of place on a non-enduro model. I went with black anodized Evotech radiator guards, very happy with them.

One other thing about the fog lights: The DP lights have a lens in front of the bulb, it focuses the light in a broad, narrow pattern in front of the motorcycle. It's very useful, in a way I don't think a cheaper light that relied only on the reflector for focus could be. Might be a case of you get what you pay for.

I have the full touring and urban packs, but only the fog lights out of the enduro pack, just for reference.

The Termi slip-on is basically appearance bling. Like most modern motorcycles, the bulk of the sound reduction is achieved in the breadbox, and via the exhaust valve. You won't notice much difference in the exhaust, regardless of which slip-on you install. If you want a more racy exhaust sound on these bikes, full replacement is the only way to go.

I'll be buying an aftermarket seat for my 1260 eventually. The stocker is adequate, but has a contour that leans you forward more than I like. This is a common complaint. The DP/Touratech seat is supposed to be better, but very expensive.

I have never heard anything positive about the DP anti-theft system. Unless it contains a well trained trunk monkey with an AK-47, I don't think it works. My dealership advised me against it when I bought my first Ducati.

The DP GPS kit is indeed overpriced. There are other options, but I'd recommend searching the forum for prior discussions on that topic, it's been covered extensively. Just know anything that will work on a 2015+, will work on a 1260 too.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I bought my bike with the Touring package pre installled. The heated grips are great and the center stand is required for chain service on the road. A simple harness that came with my Battery Tender powers my air compressor and heated clothing. Barkbusters from Twisted Throttle will prevent damage to the stock handguards in a low or no speed drop. I like the Altrider engine guards. I have the Cox radiator and oil cooler guards. I have the Touratech side stand foot and the DP/Touratech seat. I like the Touratech seat but the stiching does not match the stock passenger seat. Too expensive to buy both since I don't ride with a passenger. I installed a Rowe PDM to run power to my V1 radar detector, XM radio and Fiam horns. I don't ride at night but I installed ADVMonster fog light for daytime running lights. I have the full Termignoni exhaust which is needed to cure the flat spot on the '15 -'17. It may not be needed on the 1260. It sounds great but is very expensive. I have the Puig Touring Windscreen. It is better than stock but the MTS will never be as quiet at the BMW R1200RT.

ADV Rider has extensive reviews of all brands of GPS.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
as others in this thread have already posted, i also bought my 2018 1260 S with the Touring option pre-installed ... and added the Urban Package, and the DP Touratech Radiator and Oil Cooler guards, at the time i ordered the bike.

the three other options/farkle bits i have ordered/installed are:
  • the DP Termi slip-on (i had the full Termi system on my 2010 Multi 1200, along with the DP race ECU ... and decided i want to keep this 1260 as close to stock in the engine as possible, for as long as possible, so decided against the full Termi for now at least),
  • the DP Enduro windscreen ... which IMHO is the best solution on the 1260 to reduce the dreaded "wind buffeting" that plagues these Multis,
  • and the DP LED rear turn indicators (just to keep all filament light bulbs off the bike, which have a habit of breaking/failing at the most inopportune time).

in addition to the above, i will be ordering and installing the DP GPS mount in the coming weeks, to mount a Garmin GPS ... and that should be the last of the upgrades for a while. oh, and I kept the DP side and top case inner liner bags from my 2010 Multi, to use in my new 1260 Multi ... the inner liner bags (either the DP units, or any of the other aftermarket ones available on eBay) are a great upgrade when touring, as you can leave the hard cases attached to the bike when you check into hotel/motel/friend's house.

the above are the mods i have done/will do to my new 1260 S Touring, based on owning my 2010 1200 S Touring for over 6 years and 47,000 miles.

oh, finally ... i highly recommend purchasing an extended warranty for the bike. never purchased an extended warranty until i bought mu 2010 Multi, which i negotiated a 5 year zero deductible full coverage warranty from Western Service Contract for $800.00), so full warranty for 7 years. had to make quite a few claims for a total over the years of a little over $8,200.00, the largest/most costly was replacing the shock, at $4,542.32 ... so the warranty more than paid for itself many times over.

i am still debating purchasing the service contract offered by the dealership ... as it covers all the major desmo services for 3 years ... but i will probably end up doing these myself, as i did on my 2010 Multi 1200.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
... and the DP/Touratech seat.
jeff,

please tell me more about this DP Touratech seat you speak of.

is it taller and firmer than the stock seat?

pretty much the only gripe i now have with the Multi is the ergos for seat to footpeg ... as i have 36" inseam, and on longer rides (600 miles per day and up), my legs feel a little cramped ... so even a 1" taller and firmer seat would be a vast improvement.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the urban, touring and S packages on my DVT.

I went with SW-Motech crash bars but in hindsight, wish I would have gone with the stock Ducati crashbars becuse the SW-Motech dig into my leg just a little. I did not like the OEM crashbars at first because of the shiny finish. The black powder coating on the SW-Motech looked better to my eyes.

My favorite add on to the Multistrada is the Corbin seat. While the factory seat is not bad at all, the Corbin is the best seat on any motorcycle I have ever had. That’s saying a lot because I have had many bikes over the years with Corbin and other aftermarket seats.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks to all for the informative replies. Food for thought here but it seems like the consensus is that the Touring Pack is a good deal, with opinions more split about the Urban Pack. AXSPwr, what tank bag would you prefer to the one in the Urban Pack?

It seems like Ducati/Touratech crash bars may not yet be available for the 1260. Although listed under the Ducati USA website configurator as part # 96780561C, there is no pricing and appears as "+ null" in the final configuration listing if selected. The only crash bar alternatives that I have found specifically listed for the 1260 are the SW-Motech item ($296.95) and one from R&G ($411.95). BSheppard, are you fairly tall (6' +) for the SW-Motech crash bars to intrude on your leg space, or is this likely to affect most people big enough to sling a leg over the Multistrada?

Another former Enduro Pack item, the foglights, seems to present trade-offs when considering alternatives. The light output of the Ducati item does not seem that high (1000 lumens?) but, as AXSPwr points out, they are integrated natively into the controls. The Darla alternative from Clearwater lights is apparently twice as bright but has to be independently wired & controlled. I believe that Clearwater Lights seamlessly integrated their lights with BMW's CANBUS using their "CANopener" but this does not to be the case for Ducati's system. I am mainly interested in increasing daylight conspicuity, rather than riding at night. In this context, is the 1000 lumens of the Ducati system sufficient? Also, how does the Ducati's high/low beam switch setting affect their fog lights power or on/off state? Thanks for the mention of ADVMonster fog lights, Jeff. I will check those out, too.

Also, many thanks for the mentions of BarkBusters, Rowe PDM, alternative seats & windscreens, side-case liner bags, extended warranties, etc. I will look into all these items and any others recommended here.

Reactions: johnchypermotard

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
bravo amico!

you are starting down the fun road of Multistrada farkling ... enjoy.

Many thanks to all for the informative replies. Food for thought here but it seems like the consensus is that the Touring Pack is a good deal, with opinions more split about the Urban Pack. AXSPwr, what tank bag would you prefer to the one in the Urban Pack?

It seems like Ducati/Touratech crash bars may not yet be available for the 1260. Although listed under the Ducati USA website configurator as part # 96780561C, there is no pricing and appears as "+ null" in the final configuration listing if selected. The only crash bar alternatives that I have found specifically listed for the 1260 are the SW-Motech item ($296.95) and one from R&G ($411.95). BSheppard, are you fairly tall (6' +) for the SW-Motech crash bars to intrude on your leg space, or is this likely to affect most people big enough to sling a leg over the Multistrada?

Another former Enduro Pack item, the foglights, seems to present trade-offs when considering alternatives. The light output of the Ducati item does not seem that high (1000 lumens?) but, as AXSPwr points out, they are integrated natively into the controls. The Darla alternative from Clearwater lights is apparently twice as bright but has to be independently wired & controlled. I believe that Clearwater Lights seamlessly integrated their lights with BMW's CANBUS using their "CANopener" but this does not to be the case for Ducati's system. I am mainly interested in increasing daylight conspicuity, rather than riding at night. In this context, is the 1000 lumens of the Ducati system sufficient? Also, how does the Ducati's high/low beam switch setting affect their fog lights power or on/off state? Thanks for the mention of ADVMonster fog lights, Jeff. I will check those out, too.

Also, many thanks for the mentions of BarkBusters, Rowe PDM, alternative seats & windscreens, side-case liner bags, extended warranties, etc. I will look into all these items and any others recommended here.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I would imagine any quality tank bag is a better deal. The issue with the DP tankbag is that the cell phone window is practically useless, as any amount of sunlight hitting the bag will render your phone unusable due to glare. If you manage to get past that, your phone will probably overheat soon after from exposure to direct sunlight; since the pocket traps all that solar heat, it turns into an oven. Great idea in concept, just doesn't work well. I'd rather have a bag with a simple map pocket.

The DP fog lights turn off when you engage high beams, AFAIK there is no way to leave them on. They stay on when you flash the lights via pulling back on the control, though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bravo amico!

you are starting down the fun road of Multistrada farkling ... enjoy.
I am familiar with a related affliction: in early 2009, I bought a leftover new 2008 Sport Classic Biposto for $9,000 out of the door (a great price :smile2:), then proceeded to spend the savings and much more on Termi cans + DP ECU, replacement forks, solo comfort seat, custom aluminum tank, OZ wheels, etc, etc. Of course, it did take me a while to build up speed into true profligacy. However, the bike performs better than standard and is a "keeper". Every time I ride up the local canyons. a huge smile appears on my face and the years fall away: priceless! :laugh:

Reactions: johnchypermotard

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would imagine any quality tank bag is a better deal. The issue with the DP tankbag is that the cell phone window is practically useless, as any amount of sunlight hitting the bag will render your phone unusable due to glare. If you manage to get past that, your phone will probably overheat soon after from exposure to direct sunlight; since the pocket traps all that solar heat, it turns into an oven. Great idea in concept, just doesn't work well. I'd rather have a bag with a simple map pocket.

The DP fog lights turn off when you engage high beams, AFAIK there is no way to leave them on. They stay on when you flash the lights via pulling back on the control, though.
Direct experience is so valuable. Thank you!

Reactions: Björn Andersson

·
Registered
42 Posts
Direct experience is so valuable. Thank you!
See, I love the tank bag and use it every ride. I don’t use the phone holder though. If you get a chance to a play with one in person, take a close look. It’s feature packed for sure.

As to your question about the bars. I’m pretty average build, 5’10 with 32” inseam. I think most people would feel the SW-Motech crashbars where they bolt on in the most reward spot. It’s not a big deal and I don’t feel it much at all with riding gear on. But with jeans (not much of my riding) it is pretty annoying. So much so that I keep an eye out for a good deal on the DP crashbars.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The DP/Touratech seat is slightly taller and firmer than the OEM. I have the Givi 15 L tank bag that lock to a ring on the gas cap. Very convenient. i use the clear window on top for driving directions.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The DP/Touratech seat is slightly taller and firmer than the OEM. I have the Givi 15 L tank bag that lock to a ring on the gas cap. Very convenient. i use the clear window on top for driving directions.
Jeff, do you have a model number or internet link for the Givi 15 L tank bag. I don't see one currently listed on the Givi-USA website. Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well, my 1260 S came with the touring pack, and I bought the urban pack piece by piece. Yes the DP stuff is priced a bit high, but I feel like having the stuff be truly plug and play. The only exception being the tank bag, I didn't get the ducati one but I think i got the same one that is just the GIVI brand. Its the 5 liter version, perfect for my wallet, keys, and cell phone. I can confirm that the clear cell phone pouch is useless, especially with an iPhone 8 since you have to have physical touch with the home button to activate it. So, i just leave my phone in the bottom part of it and leave my garage door opener in the clear pouch lol. The usb hub is great, and useful especially if you stream music from the phone to your headset.

I would like a GPS eventually, but Im undecided on brands

Also, plus 1 on the corbin seat. Super firm, and tall, but very supportive.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My sincere thanks to all thread contributors for their suggestions. I ordered a white Multistrada 1260S Touring yesterday, together with several of the accessories mentioned above. I will be ordering more non-Ducati items from various vendors over the next several days, so that all are waiting for the bike's arrival in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
GPS / Phone mount

@Bolder Biker
If I include the two Garmins we gave to the kids for Christmas and the built-in Garmin in our Wrangler, I have nine GPS's in our household. Two of which are waterproof for our Seadoos and two are for my Panigale and Monster 1200R. Consequently, I've become somewhat of an amateur expert on Garmin's having toyed with both the software and hardware over the last ten years.

About value:
IMHO, I think the Garmin Zuma GPS offers very little value for the price. It's basically a Nuvi that's waterproof. Seldom do you need your GPS in a downpour and if you do, cheap waterproof transparent pouches are available on ebay. My personal favorite is a zip-lock sandwich bag in my pocket.
Notwithstanding, if you really really want a waterproof Garmin, look at the feature rich Montana line that's in the same price range. You can install all kinds of maps in those that you can use off-the-bike such Bluecharts for your boat, Topo, cycling trails, endless custom waypoints available on the net etc.

About the Multistrada 1260
BTW, I'm also considering a Multistrada 1260. In fact, I have a 17 Multi demo in my garage as a loaner right now. You'll be pleased to know that compared with the Pani and the M1200R, the Multi's GPS mounting options are just about limitless. I'm a big RamMount fan as they make whatever you need to position whichever unit you choose in wherever location you want. Inexpensive also.
Here's a few links that I've posted on the topic to get your ideas flowing:

https://www.ducatimonster.org/forum...ation-charger-lead-monster-r.html#post3068450

https://www.959panigale.net/forum/w...ow-profile-phone-mount-made-2.html#post114513

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all!
Is there anyone who have acess to the spare parts for the top case assembley? I belive it's a Givi monokey plate as for the 1200dvt.
I'm hoping to buy the assembley parts and fit the Givi case I have on my Mts 1200, it would save me 400 euros, give or take. ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts