Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay. so in the small window on the engine it appears to be empty but when i took off lid to the small case, (witch also said use brake fluid?) thats attached to the clutch lever its inbetween the upper and lower marks.

Is there somewhere else i should add the fluid or can i just not see the fluid in the engine window?

and how come the fluid box on the clutch says use brake fluid?

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
The window is for the timing marks, it has nothing to do with the clutch.

Hydraulic clutches use brake fluid to actuate.

Tom

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hmmm... there are two "engine windows". Let's hope you are not looking at the right hand engine window and seeing no "fluid"...

In all seriousness, what are you trying to do? Just top up the fluid? Or is the clutch not working or something?

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Sound's like he thinks it's a wet clutch, and the left side window is for checking the level of the clutch oil level, same as the rh window is for checking the engine oil level.

Why else would he be surprised that the clutch uses brake fluid?

Tom

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh its not a wet clutch? well that solves that. wouldnt know if the clutch isnt working the bike wont start :[ something to do with the injectors, does anyone know how much it should be spraying when the starters cranking? cause it just shoots out some drops. should it actually be "spraying"?

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Yes, the fluid is only for the hydraulic operation of the clutch actuator circuit, not the clutch itself.

As far as I know, the injectors should spray. If they only dribble, there is a problem with the pump circuit (maybe a bad pressure regulator?), check the fuel pressure. I got a fuel system tester from Harbor Freight quite cheaply.

Tom

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have little experience with ducati injected engines but i do have lots of experience with injectors in general.

The injectors should spray in a pulse like rythm if they are dribbling in between they are "leaking". Leaking injectors can do bad things. The first step is to clean them ( i highly suggest you find a diesel mechanic in the area and have them professionally clean your injectors). If they are leaking very badly you are washing your cylinder walls (removing the oil layer) and your piston rings and cylinder walls are metal to metal.

Do a google search for fuel injectors and learn as much as you need to know about them as a garage mechanic.

If the bike sat for a years with fuel in the injectors they may be beyond repair.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah. I just got them back yesterday from cleaning, they said they worked. if i take them off and use a small square battary, i can here the injectors click open and close, they dont spray at all, in the rythm of when they should spray it only shoots out a drop. alot faster than before they were cleaned.

is there a way to only replace the jet?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I am confused.
please don't be offended when I say this, but it seems to me that you don't know what you are doing. FIrst, you start with clutch fluid and where to put it in and then you go on to injector issue.
An injector will not spray without fuel pressure from a pump. You can't simply attach power to it and expect it to spray.
What do you mean by small square battery? Are you sure the battery has enough amps to power the injectors?
If you are not sure what you are doing, please take it to mechanic or read lots before. Things can get expensive quickly.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
+1 with jcns.Stop fooling with what you don't understand.Get a manual and read it.If you don't understand it seek professional assistance,you can waste lots of time and money and still have a non runner.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no no i took the injectors off the bike and used a little 12 v square battary to see if the injectors are opening and closing witch they are. Im not an expert in injectors but the fuel pump does prime when i turn the key, and the injectors are getting decent gas pressure. I was just wondering even if the injectors click open and closed and its getting gas pressure, could they still be bad?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no no. I took the injectors off the bike and hooked it up to a little 12 v square battary to hear if it was clicking open and shut, witch it is, and the injectors are getting decent gas pressure. So my question is even tho they click open (and i've already had them serviced) can they still be bad?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts