Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time on the bike since 12,000 service. Took about 120 mile ride and no oil in the sight glass at all now. Was between the lines when I left (full).
I can see no oil anywhere. But there is a slight film of oil around the oil filter but no drip before or after. No smoking exhaust. Runs fantastic. Did not do this at the last oil change 3,000 miles ago. I just can't see any drips or leaks around the engine at all. Oil light does not come on (except when first turn on the key-goes out when bike is started). Please clue me in.....:confused:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Stupid question, but did you wait enough time after shutting down the engine to allow gravity to bring all the oil back to the bottom of the engine?

If you're not loosing oil (no drip/leaks anywhere) maybe the dealer just filled the oil up to the correct line on the sight glass and forgot to run the engine afterwards to circulate the oil and recheck the oil for correct level?

If it were me I would just add oil to the correct level, let it idle on the stand for about 10 or 15 minutes and then recheck it to see what happens before assuming the worst..... ( But then again, what do I know, I'm crazy enough to buy a Ducati????)

·
Super Moderator
5,232 Posts
I agree with chitownson...if the oil level didn't register in the sight glass after a few minutes of being on the center stand then add a little oil. Most likely everything is fine.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was it. I don't know why it took over 35 minutes to drain back down. Never seen it take that long before it began to register. Usually just a few. Panic over-Whew.

·
7,733 Posts
First time on the bike since 12,000 service. Took about 120 mile ride and no oil in the sight glass at all now. Was between the lines when I left (full).
I can see no oil anywhere. But there is a slight film of oil around the oil filter but no drip before or after. No smoking exhaust. Runs fantastic. Did not do this at the last oil change 3,000 miles ago. I just can't see any drips or leaks around the engine at all. Oil light does not come on (except when first turn on the key-goes out when bike is started). Please clue me in.....:confused:
Did you do the oil change? If so, did you add the right amount as per spec? If you or who ever did the change only poured in enough oil to get the visual level to between the lines and then did not start the bike up to let it run for a minute to get the oil up into the engine and then shut it off and give the oil a chance to drain down, you may not have added enough oil in the first place, because there's always some oil that gets hung up in the engine and does not return. Not uncommon to add more oil to the crank case after you let the engine run for a bit to check for the right level after an oil change.

EDIT: I now see you looked again and it's okay. :)

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Put the bike on the center stand when checking the oil, as it must be absolutely level. If the bike has not been ridden in quite some time, there will be moisture in the oil which will foam when first heated and may give a false reading in the sight glass.

I have had four ST models (01-ST4, 02-ST4s, 04-ST4s, and 06-ST3s) and none of them has burned oil.

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
I find that I get a 'faster' sight glass reading if I put the bike on the side stand for a couple minutes, then on the center stand to check the level. The bit of tilt seems to allow the oil to drain down a bit faster.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
That's the way we did it on the BMW's....
I know, I know, but once I build up some cred with Ducati I won't keep quoting "how we did things in New York, uh, I mean on a BMW".
:cool:

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
Whadya mean? I'm 15yrs away from PA, yet I still compare to there. The comparison are mostly favorable though.

Have a good one.

·
7,733 Posts
That's the way we did it on the BMW's....
I know, I know, but once I build up some cred with Ducati I won't keep quoting "how we did things in New York, uh, I mean on a BMW".
:cool:
After a ride on my Berliner flying brick, I stay in the saddle and lean the bike to the right for a moment. Don't have to do that after riding my Bolognese pompone. ;) :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts