Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents and Ladies,

So I've seen a figure of 407 pounds for "claimed" curb weight of the GT1000 from Ducati. I've chopped off fenders, removed stuff, replaced stuff and added CF wheels (which are life-changing, by the way) and I'm intrigued to know how much my bike really weighs.

I went to the Palo Alto city dump yesterday. The guy there doesn't let you see the scale output--you drive on and he goes in his little office and tells you the number. He told me the bike weighs "between 400 and 420 pounds."

Either Ducati is exaggerating or the Palo Alto city dump was calibrated with a bad case of butcher's thumb/wild inaccuracy.

Anyone know a place around the SF bay area where I can weigh my bike accurately? Ideas?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My SC1000S weighs 191kg (420lbs) with 5 spoke marchesinis, wave rotors (1kg lighter than standard), carbon fnt guard, and half tank juice.
This was weighed on the Perth Motorplex drag-racing scales...
Cork's SC1000 biposto weighed 197kg with similar setup and more fuel.

Greg.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Greg. So Ducati's claimed curb weight is probably extremely optimistic.

I weighed in with about 1 gallon of fuel so the 400-420 range is probably at least close to right. I was hoping to break 399 with the CF wheels, which are supposed to drop ~35 pounds.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The fine print under Ducati specs says without battery. There's 8 lbs. and they are weighed dry, no oil, fuel and some manufacturers drain brake fluid.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Maybe if you go to a CHP weigh station, they might let you get it weighed? I don't know, what's the point really?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't believe there's any mc manufacturer out there who's weight claims are accurate. Funny, though, they all claim lighter weight rather than heavier. Go figure.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks, Greg. So Ducati's claimed curb weight is probably extremely optimistic.

I weighed in with about 1 gallon of fuel so the 400-420 range is probably at least close to right. I was hoping to break 399 with the CF wheels, which are supposed to drop ~35 pounds.
Hiya,
as you're interested in lightening the bike, I want to ask if you've seen the new-style LiFePO / LFP / A123 bike batteries? You stand to save 4 kilos, paying somewhere between $100-$300, I believe.

Here's a thread on 'em: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=51537

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Many truck stops have weigh scales but a motorcycle might not weigh enough to register.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
I take a nice crap before I ride, that's probably 500 grams right there... Silk thongs and socks help too.
Now it's going to take the rest of the day to get that thought out of my mind. :mad:

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you have two scales that are large enough in capacity, all you need to do is put one under the front wheel and one under the rear wheel. Add the values and you've got your bike's weight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts