Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Search-ing seems to reveal that SPS cams for my 996 might be well worth the investment since I'm going to get a 12K service very soon. I plan to include a full inspection for flaking on the rockers and have the cam timing done.
Understand that mapping will be required as well....

Where is the best source for these cams?

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,881 Posts
It might be cheaper to sell yours and buy an SPS.

·
Banned
3 Posts
You just missed a complete set on here last week. Better off getting your engine blueprinted also. If you cant locate some SPS cams then get FBF stage 2 cams. Same exact thing

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
You can go to Ducati.com and Email Sean Cork. He is over in Europe and works for customer/racer support Ducati. I've Emailed him on a few occasions and he's been quite helpful. I'll try to dig up his direct Email. He had all sorts of suggestion in upgrading my 999's cams, crank etc. All DP stuff. I found him through Ducati.com....
Found Sean's Email:

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
sps cams

ProTwins in the UK has quite alot of desmoquattro parts. BCM in New Hampshire has some stuff floating around too, but they tend to be pricier.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I'll post what I find..

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,881 Posts
Why would you say that?
I was exaggerating a little bit, but the service, with the cost of cams if he can't find a used set for a good price could easily hit $3500+. Different matter if he could do the labor.

I know where you can get a fresh serviced, extremely clean '98 SPS for $12K. When you start talking about a $2K difference it might make you think. Plus, you can sometimes find SPS's for significantly less than $12K.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know, it's interesting...
Initially, the comment abt getting different bike put me off a bit. But it did get me to thinking.
Doing a little research - I find that not only can you maybe find an SPS, you can get some 1098's in that range.

A quick tally of the (relatively mild) mods I was planning, to include the service and cams - plus the cost of the bike - and I'm over $12K.
Part of bike ownership for me is tinkering and modding, but spending the same money on a newer, lower mileage, lighter, 160 HP Duc - makes wonder if I'm going the wrong way...

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
1098s are a whole different animal with their own problems as far as combinations go.
The SPS is a truly well-balanced machine that works very well, like a symphony, right off the floor. Spend $100 getting your suspension properly set up and you're ready to ride/race.
By the way, the difference between 123hp and 160 is more than you think! Even if you're riding your 996 to the limit and pinned EVERYWHERE, 160 will still freak you out.
... don't ask me how I know ... ;)

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Initially, the comment abt getting different bike put me off a bit. But it did get me to thinking.
Doing a little research - I find that not only can you maybe find an SPS, you can get some 1098's in that range.

A quick tally of the (relatively mild) mods I was planning, to include the service and cams - plus the cost of the bike - and I'm over $12K.
Part of bike ownership for me is tinkering and modding, but spending the same money on a newer, lower mileage, lighter, 160 HP Duc - makes wonder if I'm going the wrong way...

Now that you are having some ideas, how about a 999? They seem to be going for less than you think, 8 to 10 would be my guess depending on the goodies I suppose.

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts

Personally, it's the idea of modifications that I always love. Just making the 996 have a reliable 130+ is a good feeling.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Two years ago I rebuilt the motor in my 1997 916sps with all Ferracci parts hi comp pistons, cams, 54mm exhaust, and their superflo valves. It now makes 131hp at the wheel.

I still have the parts that came out, pistons, cams, and valves. If you're still thinking of mods vs new bike.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,881 Posts
Mitch,

Wasn't trying to be the fly in the ointment when I made that suggestion, glad you saw the constructive reasoning I had. I'm in the midst of my own engine upgrades which would be hard to justify in most circumstances. However, I've got some really good prices on most of my parts and I'm doing all the labor except tuning myself. My costs, though appreciable, are minimized. I also know I will continue to put more money into my bike than I can ever hope get out of it, but that's just it--I love my 748, think it is timeless and beautiful, and have no plans to ever sell it. To me, it doesn't matter that I could just buy a better, faster bike for less money. And you know what else? I 've learned that at the track my "old" bike still has a few things to teach GSXR's (until the straights--hence the motor work).

Also, someone mentioned professional suspension setup and I agree completely. Ken at Superbike Italia did mine and that, along with the 4 pad Brembos is probably the best money I've spent on my bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts