Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, well after almost 50k on my favorite bike of all time I think I am going to get a set of Keihin carbs. Now that all the suspension is finally done to my taste and other bits I figured that the carbs might be the next thing to experiment with. So who let me know where you purchased yours and why so I can support a shop rather than an internet store. I want to purchase a set new. I am on the fence as to weather I want 39mm or 41mm for my 900ss. I have a 98 framed 944 FI engined ss for a track bike and well the pretty ss is the carbed one and it is mainly for street use although it is actually better suited currently for track riding due to the suspension in comparison with my track bike, it will be updated to some degree soon. Basically I am saying the carbed ss may go to a track day for fun but it is not its primary focus so the top end is not used nearly as often. Any input would great and maybe we can make another sticky FCR sources as they are no longer available through ducati NA.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
California Cycleworks. A guy named Chris Kelly runs it, who is an awesome supplier and very knowledgable about 2V Ducati's. Get the Dyncoils while you're at it, makes a world of improvement and the best $200 you can spend. You will get the carbs at least 95% jetted ready to go. It's an afternoon job to install them, and that's if you go slow and clean/polish along the way. And get the 41's.

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/fuel.html#keihin

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I bought mine from Chris K. for my Monster about 7 years ago. They were all set up (jetted properly) when I received them.

Mike

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
+ 3 for Chris Kelley. He sells the full deal with everything you'll need and clear instructions. Best mod you can do. For sure go for 41mm carbs (read all about FCRs at Chris's Ducatitech site: www.ducatitech.com). The carbed SS bikes are awesome at the track once you can get the cornering clearance issue sorted out. I posted pics of mine last night on the Supersport Pictures thread (I want everyone to see it :D).
Joe
P.S. Be sure to cut off the top of your airbox if you haven't already, but expect to have to wear earplugs (if you don't already).

·
Registered
141 Posts
I also purchased mine for CA Cycleworks. I can't really say I came away from the experience a satisfied customer due to the way they handled some order and shipping errors, but the product itself was a nice complete package (I also got some pistons, studs and dynacoils).

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input sound like it is pretty much settled where I should get them from. My only other question is for those that have purchased them what is included in a "Kit"? Carbs, intakes, throttle cables, throttle cable housing for clipon, throttle tube, ect. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Everything you will need is included. There may be a ball end hex driver too. Throttle, cables, instructions for cutting the airbox, which does need some additional clearence on the left side. You do need patience connecting the rubber manifolds though. IIRC you need to connect the carbs to the airbox first, then bring the rubber sleeves down on the manifolds. I wouldn't swear to it though. Use some Isopropyl alcohol on the rubber parts to get them loose and easy to slide. Do NOT smoke while doing this.

With the carbs, coils, 15/39 gearing and Hicomp pistons you can roll on the throttle and easily get the front end floaty coming out of corners in second gear. Not a big deal on a superbike, but it is on a carb'd SS.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Agree with all those above. Even the cold morning starting procedure gets to be easy. You don't need to remove the whole choke assembly if you don't want to at first but the choke cable becomes obsolete (just take teh cable off - I removed the lot.

Get the coils and carbs together if you can - I added the 4mm ball end hex to my initial list then later bought a full hex kit which gave me a spare 4mm.

Just be aware that as you open up the top of the airbox lid, the intake noise increases. I went to about double the size of the two original holes by cutting the plastic and making one large oval intake. Not too loud for me and lets a bit more air in.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input. I wear ear plugs and have the origianl and aftermarket(open) air box covers or I guess you would say ring. The noise is not a bother to me since I got custom ear plugs. Plus mechanical noise is pure sex:).

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I know some people aren't bothered by the intake noise from an open airbox. I even had one on my '95 900 back in the day, but on the '97 900 I bought last year it drove me nuts so I found an unmolested airbox lid and put it on without the snorkels.

The older I get the less I like loud bikes. IMHO an SS with an open airbox and pipes is obnoxiously loud...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The older I get the less I like loud bikes. IMHO an SS with an open airbox and pipes is obnoxiously loud...
I agree on some levels, so I kept the stock stuff, but I am young and well the bike has gone through alot of changes over the years. As long as the rider is happy with his/her machine I can appreciate it. Although I don't always understand it.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts