Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to the DMV on the phone today and they said they need to see the CA emmissions label and the SAFETY LABEL?

I m going to look when I get home but does anyone know what the safety label is and where is located? what does it need to say she didnt tell me?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Page 83 in the Lil Red Book

The sticker should be above the emissions canister on the frame. It states, "Veihicle Emission Control Label; Engine Displacement xxx Engine Family xxx This veihicle confroms...US EPA .. Calif blah blah blah." Went out to look for mine and its not there or maybe under the tank on the frame? (Well that's one reason to live in Jersey.)
The fact that the emissions evaporative canister is there shows you are in compliance, but with all great govt's without the paperwork to prove it, it's not in compliance.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
WHAT ?!?!?! Riding a motorbike is safe?!?!?! :eek:

Sorry, not useful, but couldn't resist :D

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Bought my '06 new from a dealer in New York and shipped it to California. The sticker the DMV wants to see is supposed to be on an upper frame rail under the gas tank but mine was affixed to the underside of the rear of the gas tank. Just remove the allen screw holding the back of the tank on and lift to see the sticker on the bottom of the tank. The DMV person will shine a flashlight on it and you're done.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Yep, I bought my 07 in Reno, Nevada while living in California. Mine was in the same location as 1duckyboy. Had to lift the tank up for them to see it. Took us about 10 minutes just to find it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yep, I bought my 07 in Reno, Nevada while living in California. Mine was in the same location as 1duckyboy. Had to lift the tank up for them to see it. Took us about 10 minutes just to find it.
Yeeeeep, another Gas tank here, except mine (06 S1000) was affixed to the underneath of the FRONT of the gas tank. We never found it at the DMV but I had a letter from Ducati which the girl made a copy of and sent of to Sacramento since she herself could not decide if the letter was enough proof...I asked her about it, and apparently there's a crack DMV team working out of Sacramento whose sole function is to track down whether vehicles were manufactured to comply with CA standards...

You just got to love more bureaucratic inefficiency and waste when California is in a budget crisis. :mad:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeeeeep, another Gas tank here, except mine (06 S1000) was affixed to the underneath of the FRONT of the gas tank. We never found it at the DMV but I had a letter from Ducati which the girl made a copy of and sent of to Sacramento since she herself could not decide if the letter was enough proof...I asked her about it, and apparently there's a crack DMV team working out of Sacramento whose sole function is to track down whether vehicles were manufactured to comply with CA standards...

You just got to love more bureaucratic inefficiency and waste when California is in a budget crisis. :mad:
CRACK dmv team? so say the person who does an inspection at the dmv office and sees a CA emission sticker will be doubled checked and can be overuled by that team in sacramento?

If a bike is 49 state without CA emissions can you put that CA emissions stuff and would they accept that instead?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Probably not. It still wouldn't be "certified."

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Definitely not. There's a certification process that manufacturers have to go through. Last I knew it was prohibitively expensive to go through for a single vehicle, even for the really high-buck exotic cars.

·
Registered
323 Posts
F*CK THAT!! There is no way I would ever go to inspectiion that would require me to partially disassemble my motorcycle in order to pass. Why can't they run the VIN? All Ducati's for US are built CA compliant...IIRC.

Tell them to find it themselves if they "have to see it" or to pay your mechanic his rates to come down there with you.

NJ..FTW

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i found both labels buts its kinda ridiculous what the CA dmv requires out here. bikes pollute way less than cars...

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
F*CK THAT!! There is no way I would ever go to inspectiion that would require me to partially disassemble my motorcycle in order to pass. Why can't they run the VIN? All Ducati's for US are built CA compliant...IIRC.

Tell them to find it themselves if they "have to see it" or to pay your mechanic his rates to come down there with you.

NJ..FTW

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

You are SO funny!

"Tell" the DMV.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

The result would be that they would "tell" you that you can't register your vehicle in "their" state.

Actually, your wrath is misplaced anyway. The DMV didn't require that they see the sticker, and they didn't place it in a stupid place. The legislature requires that the DMV see the the sticker, and Ducati, knowing this, put it in the stupid place.

Have a good time with those windmills though. ;)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
bikes pollute way less than cars...
Uh, no, they don't.

Because cars have the space for more sophisticated systems, new cars actually pollute less than new motorcycles. The exception is CO2. That is directly related to fuel consumption. So, we're good on Greenhouse Gases, but we're inferior on the "smog" gasses.

Of course, that's per vehicle per mile. A small car with 4 - 5 people in it even kicks our butts on CO2 per person per mile (even if we're carrying a passenger).

It gets more complicated when you start talking about traffic jams where a motorcycle can break lanes, but a car is stuck getting zero miles per its emissions.

Of course, if your car is a 73 Caprice, then your motorcycle is kicking the crap out of that car in emissions, but then, what isn't? :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Uh, no, they don't.

Because cars have the space for more sophisticated systems, new cars actually pollute less than new motorcycles. The exception is CO2. That is directly related to fuel consumption. So, we're good on Greenhouse Gases, but we're inferior on the "smog" gasses.

Of course, that's per vehicle per mile. A small car with 4 - 5 people in it even kicks our butts on CO2 per person per mile (even if we're carrying a passenger).

It gets more complicated when you start talking about traffic jams where a motorcycle can break lanes, but a car is stuck getting zero miles per its emissions.

Of course, if your car is a 73 Caprice, then your motorcycle is kicking the crap out of that car in emissions, but then, what isn't? :p
Seriously? bikes with 600 and 1000 cc engines and get 40-50 mpg pollute more than cars with 3.0 or 5 litre engines? I thought even a car with a 1.5 litre engine would surely pollute much more than a bike.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Seriously? bikes with 600 and 1000 cc engines and get 40-50 mpg pollute more than cars with 3.0 or 5 litre engines? I thought even a car with a 1.5 litre engine would surely pollute much more than a bike.
Seriously.

1. Motorcycle allowed pollutant level is much higher. CO levels are twice as high, CH levels are as much as four times as high. Only NOx is the same. These levels are not ppm or percentage of the exhaust. The allowed levels are per mile or kilometer. Of course, we really fall down when you figure it by pollutant per person per mile, since almost all cars have a much higher passenger capacity.

2. MPG doesn't necessarily have anything to do with pollution levels (except for CO2, since we are releasing carbon from the hydrocarbon fuel).

3. A 1000 cc engine at 5000 rpm is pumping exactly the same amount of mixture as a 2000 cc engine at 2500 rpm. So, it's not just displacement, it's also how many cc's at how many rpm. Bigger engines turn much slower at cruising speed, so their total air/fuel mixture volume per mile is much closer to ours than you might think.

4. Our air-cooled engines are the worst. It's emissions that killed the VW boxer MANY years ago. The much more consistent temperature of a liquid cooled engine is much easier to effectively emission control.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts