Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is related to my issue posted here:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/42-monster/140865-neutral-light-wont-come-wont-start.html

Someone on another forum suggested that I remove the washer from the neutral switch. I'm not sure where to locate it. This thread here: Neutral light won't come on; can't start - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

In the back side of th transmission/engine is a switch that screws in and has 2 wires coming out of it. One theory is that a wire breaks at the epoxy where the wires enter the switch. The other issue seems to be that the switch is not long enough on some engines. You can remove a washer from the switch and then put it back in.

If you have a some spare wire around, I'd undo the switch at the harness and jumper the two leads coming from the main wiring harness and then turn the key. If it is the switch, then the light will come on when you have bypassed it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm not sure if you answered your own question with your initial post or not, but I'll throw in what I know...

The neutral switch is located on the rear of the engine on the M696. It looks like a large gray "button" on the case. Testing is simple enough, if you can locate where it plugs into the harness (I honestly don't know where although I own a 2011 M696). Locate/disconnect the connector and using an ohmmeter to the exposed pins should give you some indication as to whether or not it is working as you cycle through the gearing...

Just an FYI for any older riders here, if you don't know, all logic for the neutral/kickstand/clutch switch arrangement is handled in the ECU vice what would typically be performed with relays on another motorcycle.

I have not had any problems with mine (knock on wood) but would not be surprised if some manufacturing variations necessitated removal of a washer...

·
Registered
836 Posts
2009 696, it went out soon after purchase used. Bought the switch and installed. You will have to remove the exhaust to get to it, not an easy job, but seems no Ducati is easy to work on. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2009 696, it went out soon after purchase used. Bought the switch and installed. You will have to remove the exhaust to get to it, not an easy job, but seems no Ducati is easy to work on. :)
Wow... I just looked at the manual's instructions on how to remove the exhaust... It could take a while. I hate to take it to the dealer though if this is what's causing the problem.

The monster is only two months out of warranty but they won't tell me if they will fix it "goodwill" unless I bring the bike in first...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am happy to report that I found the neutral switch and after I jiggled the wire from underneath the cover, the neutral light magically lit up and I could start the Monster.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts