Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Old thread revived, but since I wasn't around when it was created, I must comment

The old hypers were nice, I lusted after them and wanted one when they came out. I did feel like liquid cooling and 4 valves would be an improvement, but what the bike really needed to be was a thumper with 100 less pounds. The Hypermotard was too big, too heavy. Very cool looking, nice handling, and the design is unmistakably Ducati.

Everyone thinks the Hypermotard is a fun bike (it is, and I'm sure it's just what a lot of you are looking for) but a lot of you are saying that without having tried a real supermoto. You have yet to bring out your full hooligan.

Ducati has traditionally severely limited themselves by making their bikes L twins. I think it's time for them to break out into new markets. And their first bike to break out with should be a new design lightweight thumper Hypermotard. Can you imagine what Ducati could do if they broke free of their chains and set their mind to it?
That would be a fantastic idea :yeah::yeah:.............

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
That would be a fantastic idea :yeah::yeah:.............
They've done it once already ... well, the single cylinder .. in modern form I mean.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
They were toying with Idea but never did it.
That image looks like one of those photoshop specials. I see parts in there I recognize pulled from 5 different bikes. The front fender is from a Aprilia SXV 550.

I really looked long and hard at Beta 500 RR S or 390 RR S. Beta's look great for an Enduro/Supermoto
Beta's are actually really awesome Italian bikes that can compete and beat any of the big dirt names. Parts are expensive and hard to obtain but that can be expected. Not really any worse than Aprilia though. Dealers are sparse but I happen to have one right in my town. It was tempting.

·
Registered
913 Posts
That image looks like one of those photoshop specials. I see parts in there I recognize pulled from 5 different bikes. The front fender is from a Aprilia SXV 550.
" The above image is not from Ducati Design, but instead it is actually the work of Oberdan Bezzi, who regularly publishes design concepts that dream of bikes that manufacturers should build."

It was all over the net in 2017 even has a thread here.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/11-ducati-motorcycle-chat/663137-does-ducati-need-dirt-bike.html

·
Registered
429 Posts
They've done it once already ... well, the single cylinder .. in modern form I mean.
IK..the supermono. more like the super unicorn, I would sell my kidneys for one... we're talking about a full hooligan supermoto here. how awesome that would B!!

Street-Legal Ducati Supermono Strada To Be Produced - MotorcycleDaily.com - Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews MotorcycleDaily.com ? Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
" The above image is not from Ducati Design, but instead it is actually the work of Oberdan Bezzi, who regularly publishes design concepts that dream of bikes that manufacturers should build."

It was all over the net in 2017 even has a thread here.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/11-ducati-motorcycle-chat/663137-does-ducati-need-dirt-bike.html
Indeed. Those kind of images are popular in japan where photoshop people grab a bunch of high res images of several bikes and start to pull parts together to make the bike that they wish they had. It's a fun excercise, but not really "design" work, but more cut, paste, and clean up.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
So, I used to be on this forum daily. I had a 2008 1100S in black. Termis, Woodcraft rearsets, lightweight flywheel, etc. It was awesome, but living in Arizona with thousands of miles of straight roads and friends on superbikes, the Hyper was struggling to hang.

I sold it and bought another R1.

Since then I have owned a few R1s, a KTM 690SMC, and now a Yamaha FZ-10. Oh, and I moved to SoCal where twisty roads are the norm.

While I miss my KTM 690SMC, I have to do some freeway to get to the best roads at times and that would suck. Making me miss my Hyper.

I like my FZ-10, but I find that, like a superbike, it makes me ride fast, ALWAYS. There is no just "cruising with traffic" and enjoying the ride and scenery.

However, I'm thinking about the 939SP. I like the looks better than the 950 and I can use my SwMotech luggage that I have with my FZ-10 with the right brackets. So trips up the PCH are still easily doable.

I ride off-road and motocross and have raced supermoto successfully in the past as well. The Hyper just seems to make sense to me.

I'll be digging around on this forum and others, again. I'll do my searches to satisfy "those people" but will also be hitting folks up for new and fresh advice as I begin to sell my FZ-10 and buy my 939SP.

Dave

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I have owned a lot of super bikes and ended up with a Hyper 950 SP. This is my first Hyper and it is really fun. I also was just going too fast on the sport bikes and needed something fun at slower speeds and the Hyper is perfect for that. The dealership where I bought my 950 had a bunch of discounted 939s on the floor but unfortunately the dealership recently closed. I think the lack of posting is a sign of the times. Seems like there was a golden age of fast bikes and track days in the early 2000s and that has tailed off a lot now. Also the stock bikes are so damn good that modding is not a requirement like it used to be. I still mod bikes a bit, but despite the tougher emissions requirements the bikes still run pretty well and make tons of power bone stock.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Havent ridden the watercooled hypers but give it a try and see how you like it. Ever considered a multistrada?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I have considered the Multistrada and was actively looking to buy one several years back. However, I severely miss my Hyper and even doing trips on it with some simple saddlebags.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts