Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once upon a time these pages were full of owners and riders revelling in the sheer lunacy of their Hypermotards, discussing how to make them more grunty, how to get those damn forks to work the way they looked, posting vids of track shennanigans and wheelies everywhere, generally living up to the "extreme" character of their bike. How many posters said that this bike was going to SHRED their licence?
Now we get 3 pages on ear-plugs! WTFawak has happened? How did the loony-tunes, torque-belching mono-meister with WSB brakes, semi-slick tyres and super-bike embarrassing attitude become a sport-tourer and a ..... gulp...... commuter.
FFS Ducati, put some Hyper back in your motard.

*(The opinions in this post do not necessarily represent the views of a sensible person)*>:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I think the current line of hyper is more than capable of hooning around but I feel the Strada is the culprit for the mild reputation of the hyper line. Anyone who knows the history and lineage of the bike knows the potential of these machines. But your average joe may walk into a show room, see the strada and balk at the price and turn their eye to the base model hyper and save themselves ~$2k.

That said, I wanted a loud, ripper of a bike that wasn’t brutal like s superbike, and that’s why I bought my 939. It does make a decent commuter bike but I didn’t buy it for that purpose, but it’s definitely a bonus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Once upon a time these pages were full of owners and riders revelling in the sheer lunacy of their Hypermotards, discussing how to make them more grunty, how to get those damn forks to work the way they looked, posting vids of track shennanigans and wheelies everywhere, generally living up to the "extreme" character of their bike. How many posters said that this bike was going to SHRED their licence?

Now we get 3 pages on ear-plugs! WTFawak has happened? How did the loony-tunes, torque-belching mono-meister with WSB brakes, semi-slick tyres and super-bike embarrassing attitude become a sport-tourer and a ..... gulp...... commuter.

*(The opinions in this post do not necessarily represent the views of a sensible person)*>:)

Thanks for the reminder to embrace to raw brutality of the hyper! It was long awaited when it came out and yes, I’m guilty of a waning hyper spirit. But screw that now! My 1100 Evo SP Corse is a beast!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

Because every Hyper since the original has been a techie wiz bang watered down version or the original. >:) I am still very much enthralled with my 08. Every time I ride it I think of how it must have been conceived by two engineers drunk off their asses on red wine in a bar with a bevnap planning to stick the biggest motor in a dirt bike they could get away with then unleash on public streets. This bike has no practical reason for existing, it is pure [email protected] magic!

t_bare

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts

Major reason why I didn't get the CA cycleworks tank. Turning the Hyper into a touring bike seems against the spirit of the bike.

I think I saw a review somewhere of the Hyper that described it as "one of the best bikes to own, if you can only have one." The ergos are great, it's a blast to drive, you can do some light touring on it, and it doesn't cost as much as a GS. I can definitely see why people are trying to make it do everything. My Hyper is purely for hooliganing around the city though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Once upon a time these pages were full of owners and riders revelling in the sheer lunacy of their Hypermotards, discussing how to make them more grunty, how to get those damn forks to work the way they looked, posting vids of track shennanigans and wheelies everywhere, generally living up to the "extreme" character of their bike.
This seems to be the way of many forums lately. I don't use FB, and understand many previously very busy boards are mostly contained to their group pages now. There will be a great migration back to forums, the herd can only drink the tainted water for so long.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Major reason why I didn't get the CA cycleworks tank. Turning the Hyper into a touring bike seems against the spirit of the bike.

My Hyper is purely for hooliganing around the city though.
I wont get the CA Cycleworks tank because I would not be able to keep
the Stacks. The only thing better than an air cooled Hyper is a More
Hyper Air Cooled Hyper.

Many Have moved on to the 1290R Super Duke.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,332 Posts
There are still some ol skoolers around the forums. I remember back in 2012 when I joined I had my 796HM and there were so many legends posting... the bike was popular and everyone had their own personality ingrained into the bike.

Then the monstrosity of the watercooled motard came about. It had electronics, wet clutch, riding aids... some people loved it but over-time I think they lost a lot of why people throw a leg over these bikes in the first place.

Everyone knows how special these bikes are and when its all said and done only a few OG's will be left around. Me? Mine keeps me sane and alive. Cant wait to take it to the Dragon in May :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
When I bought my 939sp, I looked and looked for an 1100s. The few that I ran across were beat to hell and neglected.
I gave up and bought a new 939sp. I love it.
The mrs found a Monster 1100s that weekend that we bought as well for her. I love my new tech, but I clearly see why the original is so great!

·
Registered
177 Posts

I think I saw a review somewhere of the Hyper that described it as "one of the best bikes to own, if you can only have one." The ergos are great, it's a blast to drive, you can do some light touring on it, and it doesn't cost as much as a GS. I can definitely see why people are trying to make it do everything. My Hyper is purely for hooliganing around the city though.

Yeah I think Jalopnik did an article titled “The best bike you can own, if you can only have one.” When the new 939 came out. That article sold me on this bike. Love my Hyper

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wont get the CA Cycleworks tank because I would not be able to keep
the Stacks. The only thing better than an air cooled Hyper is a More
Hyper Air Cooled Hyper.

Many Have moved on to the 1290R Super Duke.
"Unfortunately" my open clutch cover and Arrow exhaust has somewhat drowned out the noise of the stacks, but yes, exactly.

I think when the Hyper first came out, it was a real departure from the other Ducati bikes at the time. The Multistrada sort of replaced the ST line, the Monster was still the Monster, the SC were too classic for their time, and the superbikes were still the superbikes. The Hyper was a solid new hooligan bike that was actually comfortable to tear around town on.

This probably lead to a lot of early adopters and people really passionate about the bikes. Over time, most companies came out with their versions of a supermotard style bike and diluted the landscape a little bit. I wasn't able to afford one until recently and even then it took some time to find an unmolested one.

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
984 Posts
Interesting thread, and many viable comments thus far.

Yes, you described it well, there was a very different feel to this section back then; it thrived and it was certainly a different atmosphere and discussion base than you see and feel today. The Hypermotard was of a new era at the time, unlike any other bike ever made, and you could feel the sense of curiosity, excitement, and mischievousness from everyone who owned one to those who simply admired it.

Member "Arctic Pride" made a good point about the slowdown of forums over recent times. I'm apart of quite a few different forums related to my endless passion for internal combustion engine type platforms that have wheels connected to them, and have noticed a general slowdown pretty much everywhere as many folks have turned to Facebook page groups to conduct their discussions instead. It's the way of the times, I guess, where instant response on social media platforms is the popularity. I don't do Facebook and the format does not appeal to me for something like this which is why I still post on forums- just personal preference. I would have to imagine there are some Facebook discussion groups out there for the Hypermotard, so I will rely on you guys to fill me in there. Will forums pick back up again in the future? I hope so, but who knows... platforms are always evolving and the internet is still very much in its infancy years and finding itself. There is always going to be the next bigger and better thing. Someday Facebook will die out just like Myspace did and the next replacement "Facebook" will become the mainstream. If you have a few minutes, this is a pretty good article on the subject of someone's perspective on the future of online forums- for one who has posted on forums for several years, it makes you think- Forums Are On Life Support.

Many owners are all about having the new, latest and greatest technology- having a personal sentimental type relationship with their machine isn't what they're about. This means while there are quite a few members here who have had their first gens since new and would never part with them, there are many folks who only keep a vehicle like a motorcycle for a year or two until the newer technology comes out and they part ways again. It's just the way it is and you find anywhere in a hobby like this. I do think the air-cooled Hyper will become rediscovered to some capacity again, but it may not be until a long time from now.

I hate to always harp on the 2nd gen HM as I feel like I have have a tendency to do this here and it could potentially be looked at the wrong way, but, part of the slowdown occurred a short while after it came out. Other than sharing the same name, they really are night and day different than the 1st gen air-cooled bikes. The second gen is a sporty bike, but not the raw, torque throbbing, dry-clutch era aficionado, more early rooted Ducati experience the 1st gen is- they are two completely different animals. Is there anything wrong with that? Not at all. It's just that I think a lot of the spark of what made the original Hypermotard, a Hypermotard, was lost in the 2nd gen and I don't see the same type of enthusiasm there once was displayed for it either. There was a lot of originality in the first gen design, arguably not so in the second gen. In truthfulness, the second gen is more practical in a lot of ways making it more mainstream than what our air-cooled bikes are. Ducati could have designed the second gen to be more 'edgy' and true to the original design while still implementing modern technology into it, but they chose to appeal to a greater audience which has given it a more universal, common, feel. I think it's easy to see why that spicy sauce carried through in conversations about about first gen like there once was back in the day is not felt as much in the current model today.

Last, the second gen has had its reputation destroyed here. The issues people have had with second gens has been absolutely pitiful. While I did not own a HM until 2012 and did not officially join Ducati.MS until 2010, I have been here since the very beginning when the air-cooled HM was just hitting the dealerships and the section was only one or two pages long. I was too young at the time and did not have the money to own a HM but this bike hit me like no other motorcycle ever had, and still does to this very day. While I didn't have the means to own one at the time, the next best thing was to enjoy the real-life action of the comradery, drool over the pictures that members posted making me dream about my future bike, and most importantly, have a sense that I was somewhat apart of this electrifying time. What I'm getting at here is - and not for this be thought of as boastful as it it's not - but I've been here from the inception and there have not been anywhere near the same problems the second gens have had. Probably the biggest actual issue other than front fork adjustment setup (which isn't even an actual technical issue from an operational standpoint) on the first gen is probably loose battery cables- that's it! I think you'd have to flip pages and pages before you found an actual problem thread among the regular topics back then. Now it seems the majority of the threads in this section are just related to problems and discouragement owners are having with the second gens. Quite frankly, it's embarrassing and I feel like when potential owners of the first gen are viewing this section they could make a false judgement on the reliability of the 1st gens because of it. I do wish the two models had separate sections here but that's a rabbit hole in itself that's already been discussed, and I respect the owners' decision to have it the way it is as it's ultimately their website at the end of the day.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for everyone's comments, it great to get the feedback. If this goes on we might actually get more posts/pages than the ear-plugs thread!
My point is that the word "hyper" suggests extreme and the original Hypermotard was (still is) an extreme motorcycle. There is no confusing its intent, it is there to have a riot on, in a different, perhaps more accessible way to a traditional, common-or-garden 150/160/175bhp sportsbike. And the owners reflected this, they wanted even more grunt, they wanted to hoike a wheelie in 4th, not just 3rd, they wanted the forks to be able to exploit the Oh-my-fowookin-G Brembos, they raced them, crashed them and they wrote about their own personal lunacy and then they posted the videos.
The new bikes, 821 or 939 still carry the "Hyper" tag, but they seem to encourage lengthy discussions about hearing protection and comfort seats, pannier recommendations and competitions to see how many times a particular bike has been stuck in the shop with a problem. Now tell me, where's the Hyper in that???

·
Registered
525 Posts
Water cooled engines dont belong in the Hypermotard. I took a hiatus from Ducati life right after the first gen hyper came out. When i returned to Ducati life of ALL the bikes I was most shocked at what the Hypermotard had become.

To me the first gen Hypermotard was the spiritual successor to the actual Monster, which is to say a parts bin special. It's got the MH900 looking exhaust, air cooled thumper, what looks mostly like a Monster frame. It's a crazy bike, which Ducati needed when it made the Monster all wonky!

I've never ridden one...but loving the feeling of an 2v, and loving dirt bikes I can only imagine how rambunctious it must.

Make Hypermotards Great Again!!!!!!!

edit (changed only to don't in my first sentence....air cooled 4 life)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Once again, I don't post up too much anymore but I've been steadily working on the most lightweight approach to my hyper. Lith batt, exhaust, aluminum sub-frame, stacks, cams, etc and honestly, I just ride the absolute daylights out of it and don't frequent forums as much due to work. I will post up a few pictures from my rebuild on it in the next couple weeks. I miss my 2013 Multi Pikes Peak more than anything but if I didn't lose that bike to a honda accord, I may never have found myself on a Hyper... World works in mysterious ways. I am planning on doing 2-3 track days before the May ECM up at the dragon so I'll definitely post up all my footage from that!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts