Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken off my old damaged swing arm and am in the process of putting the new one on. I've got everything pretty much put back together then I notice a part lying next to the bike that i don't recognize.

What is it and where does it belong? Or was it just some random piece of hardware floating around my garage? I've scoured the parts fiche and can't find this part. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It looks like the rear axle bevel spacer washer. If I'm remembering right, it goes on the sprocket side with the beveled side facing in.

·
Registered
588 Posts
It looks like the rear axle bevel spacer washer. If I'm remembering right, it goes on the sprocket side with the beveled side facing in.
Yup. Left side wheel spacer. Flat side mates against the cushdrive bearing and the tapered side presses flush against the inner left hand side of the swingarm.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
post #3 has it wrong!!! the pointy end aka beveled portion of the spacer is against bearing race...the broad flat side against the swing arm.... Holy cow! :eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, I've taken the wheel off several times, not sure why I didn't remember that??! Perhaps it was the fact that my shop garage was literally 102 degrees while I was working on it, the heat must have made me loopy!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Sometimes it stays on the cush drive and sometimes it will fall off. Whatever you do, don't install it backwards or forget it, or it will be another swingarm toasted.

If you look at it, it will make sense that the flat side loads the swing arm and the tapered end loads the inner brearing race.

Have a good one.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
I like these threads , like a magazine competition , we could make a regular item of it LOL !

·
Registered
639 Posts
> Whatever you do, don't install it backwards <
That's what I did, first time I pulled the rear wheel <s>... and the very next day after I did the reassembly, somebody posted a question about the spacer and somebody else replied that the bevel went in. Saved by the Forum....

·
Registered
588 Posts
post #3 has it wrong!!! the pointy end aka beveled portion of the spacer is against bearing race...the broad flat side against the swing arm.... Holy cow! :eek:
Apologies for the mis-info, Packman. Seems the install was done incorrectly on my new addition. Note to self, check the maintenance/parts manual and verify prior to responding. And, thanks to the contributors to this thread as it shed light on an issue on my bike.

·
Registered
639 Posts
> Note to self, check the maintenance/parts manual and verify prior to responding. <

Good luck with that! I found that neither my parts manual nor my service manual showed it clearly enough to tell - it was the Forum that straightened me out [end of plug for Forum]

·
7,733 Posts
There's 2 of these spacers, yes? One between sprocket carrier and wheel, and one between SA and sprocket carrier, yes? Which one was it? Did you pull the sprocket carrier too? They both go in the same way, ie cone side to bearing side.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
The one in the sprocket carrier is hard to miss since it has a good sized sleeve on it. Although, it has a tendence to fall out sometimes while handling the carrier.

Have a good one.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
There's 2 of these spacers, yes? One between sprocket carrier and wheel, and one between SA and sprocket carrier, yes? Which one was it? Did you pull the sprocket carrier too? They both go in the same way, ie cone side to bearing side.
These are those...

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts