Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks,

Just put the ST4 back together (photo below) and can't for the life of me figure out where this part goes. Took lots of photos during the disassembly & went through the entire parts catalog 2 or 3 times but don't see it anywhere.

Could be that it's not from the ST4 but one of the other projects or boxes of parts that came with the ST. Thanks for your help.

Mystery part:

Finished Bike:

Time to ride...

LM

·
Registered
395 Posts
not that it helps in your quest, but nice job painting the frame red :)

·
7,733 Posts
Hi Folks,

Just put the ST4 back together (photo below) and can't for the life of me figure out where this part goes. Took lots of photos during the disassembly & went through the entire parts catalog 2 or 3 times but don't see it anywhere.

Could be that it's not from the ST4 but one of the other projects or boxes of parts that came with the ST. Thanks for your help.

Mystery part:

Finished Bike:

Time to ride...

LM
Wow, that turned out great...what a beauty! :)

Is that a splash panel, that attaches to the bottom triple clamp? Or maybe it goes under the seat? Just guessing based on shape. :)

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
A buddy and I used to have BMW's. When we would help each other we would try to throw some oddball part or extra washers in the parts bowl without getting caught....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Is it the cover from the rear seat catch ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it the cover from the rear seat catch ?
Grearbox - thanks for what appears to be the correct answer, it fits over the seat latch to keep the road grime out.

MarkST, I had a good laugh at your Dyson comment - I did a vacuum cleaner tear down and clean out in the middle of the bike project on the same bench space. The old Hoover makes a nice rumble now :).

Not sure if anyone posted this link before, but I found it useful during reassembly (except I obviously didn't look close enough at pages 84/85):

Ricambi_1_33_st2_USA

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Grearbox - thanks for what appears to be the correct answer, it fits over the seat latch to keep the road grime out.

MarkST, I had a good laugh at your Dyson comment - I did a vacuum cleaner tear down and clean out in the middle of the bike project on the same bench space. The old Hoover makes a nice rumble now :).

Not sure if anyone posted this link before, but I found it useful during reassembly (except I obviously didn't look close enough at pages 84/85):

Ricambi_1_33_st2_USA
Glad to have been of help.

Tip: If you had the linkage apart to grease it then be aware it only functions correctly when it is asssembled a particular way otherwise the cable nipple can slip off. Difficult to explain but if that happens then the seat lock cannot be released with the key and the seat is very difficult to remove .....Go on , ask me how I know........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
.....Go on , ask me how I know........
Seems like there should be a whole thread dedicated to stories that end with that line =:cool:

Thanks (again) for the tip Gearbox - the seat latch was something I did take a photo of when disassembling. It was one of those "simple enough but looks like it would be easy to put together wrong" sort of things.

LM

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Love the contrasting RED frame! She NEEDS red heels, too! Go see the Monster S4 Senna that's being parted out. Red March's!! They'll bolt right up!

2002 Ducati Monster S4 Senna

Double-good...they're RED, and lighter, too!
And you might as well buy the Al. rear swing-arm, too. Just say it's "Christmas come early"...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Stick, glad you like it. Matching red wheels are coming next year - my local powder coat guy (he did the frame) specializes in bikes and does wheels for about $250 a pair. Makes it hard to justify the extra $600+shipping for the Marchesini wheels =-(

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
yup, I hear that!

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
Speaking of Hoover, they made some great machinery. Got a new belt for my mom a couple of years ago and the Hoover she has had since the mid-50's still outdoes everything else she or someone else has purchased. Kind of like her O'Keefe and Merrit gas range. Always love cooking on that griddle in the middle!
Oh yeah, nice color scheme

1 - 15 of 15 Posts