Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live an hour away from my dealer and sometimes need to bring the multi in via my pick up truck. Where are you guys attaching straps? The front is completely blocked by the fairing and plastic surrounds?

I usually like to strap from the lower triple tree but no go there either. Any help out there?? :think:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I use a Cycle Cinch from Speedymoto.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
A good rachet type tie down strap thru the frame on either side over to the side rails on my trailer. Those two straps have always been enough to hold any bike, but I'll also use the canyon dancer straps for the handlebars. I've got rails and tie down eyelets for the wheels built into the trailer as well, so the bikes aren't going anywhere.

·
Registered
373 Posts
A good rachet type tie down strap thru the frame on either side over to the side rails on my trailer. Those two straps have always been enough to hold any bike, but I'll also use the canyon dancer straps for the handlebars. I've got rails and tie down eyelets for the wheels built into the trailer as well, so the bikes aren't going anywhere.
Lose the Canyon Dancers. I've seen way to many broken locating pins on handlebar controls (Including mine...).

Either that, or I have 2 sets for sale if you want! :p

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used my motocross tie downs - the kind that has a strap that goes around the handle bars, not the hook itself. I duck-taped microfiber towels around the metal cinch and drove 5 hours each way with no issue.

A little redneck I know but effective.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Try to tie down from the wheels, axels. This allows the suspension to absorb road shock. I still use the Handle bar tie downs but only on a smidge.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Lose the Canyon Dancers. I've seen way to many broken locating pins on handlebar controls (Including mine...).

Either that, or I have 2 sets for sale if you want! :p
Appreciate the head's up. Never had that problem, but will keep an eye on them. I dont always use the canyon dancers, and when I do, they are put on more or less as a backup. Makes me feel better. My trailer set up is so solid, once the bikes are cinched down they aren't going anywhere. I've had a few pucker moments out on the roads where it looked like the trailer was going to be in real trouble, but the bikes didn't move an inch!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Just like the last guy said, soft strays around the triple cramps. ( They will be below the front fairing.) then attach good tie downs to them. Also, be aware that depending on the angle down and out you attach the other end of the front straps make a difference to the how close the tie downs are to your bikes fairing. the back, around the luggage attachments. Plus I wrap one around the rear wheel wrapped in a towel.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Try to tie down from the wheels, axels. This allows the suspension to absorb road shock.
Really? I've been told by professional motorcycle transporters that it's critically important to compress the front suspension and that failing to do so is asking for trouble.

Soft strap over the lower triple, straps pulling forward into a chock and compressing the front suspension. Pros have repeatedly told me anything else is completely unnecessary. I've always used some sort of strap at the rear (through a frame member) to make myself feel better.

I've never transported my Multi in a trailer, but I've trailered Monsters quite a bit.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Really? I've been told by professional motorcycle transporters that it's critically important to compress the front suspension and that failing to do so is asking for trouble.

Soft strap over the lower triple, straps pulling forward into a chock and compressing the front suspension. Pros have repeatedly told me anything else is completely unnecessary. I've always used some sort of strap at the rear (through a frame member) to make myself feel better.

I've never transported my Multi in a trailer, but I've trailered Monsters quite a bit.
No, motorcycles coming from the factory use strap downs from the brake calipers...no suspension compression...

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts

Put the soft straps on here before loading .. It is how they are shipped from the factory , or so I was told...
Make sure you don't wrap any wires or cables or lines either, just the fork...
Get the soft straps they will never leave any marks and are rated for 800#s

bullet proof and no harm done...

Over done but safe...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bulldog trailer restraints. Takes me less than 2 minutes to load or unload by myself. Yeah supposed to be for a trailer but you could put the base in the back of a pickup easy

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Thanks Scott. I'm always paranoid about strapping the bike. I'd rather ride and wait but that's not always possible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts