Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
anyone knows where i can find the screw tcei m3x8? i need 2 of em and 1 washer
any number of places sell them but, since we don't know where you are (still).....

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
i wouldn't bother with it. if you torque the large bolt after torquing the axle the large bolt isn't going anywhere. it's only when idiots don't tighten them that it goes pear shaped.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
i wouldn't bother with it. if you torque the large bolt after torquing the axle the large bolt isn't going anywhere. it's only when idiots don't tighten them that it goes pear-shaped.
you can't tighten that bolt a lot, even with the axle nut locked, it will still pull the chain. you can only give it moderate force, and we all know how much our ducati (especally old models like mine) vibrate... i'd get loose real fast. maybe some thread locker? it's not like i tension the chain everyday, still i wanna be safe any buy the small screw.

i've wasted hours trying to find an issue that i didn't have, everyone on Reddit told me that i have a big issue and it shouldn't be happening. called 4 Ducati dealers, all say that it's completely normal to be able to pull the chain even with the axle locked....

how exactly does the small screw work? how can it stop the big bolt from coming out? you can't tighten the small screw once you're done with tensioning as it's inside the swingarm

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
any number of places sell them but, since we don't know where you are (still).....
i'm italian, from bologna specifically (quite fitting that i have a ducati isn't it? :) ) can i find these bolts in any hardware shop? they seem VERY VERY small, so i tho they'd be hard to find.

i bought 2 chain tensioners (complete, only the little bolt is missing) for 30 euro ish

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
8nm is the spec on the adjuster bolts. usually works, although i had an st2 yesterday that didn't. monster should be fine.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
how exactly does the small screw work? how can it stop the big bolt from coming out?
The small screw holds a washer on the end of the large screw. When the system is assembled completely, the washer, being larger diameter than the large screw, can't pass back through the sliding shoe (Ducati-speak for the block). So, even if you don't tighten the large screw, it can't fall out. Insert the large screw through the plate, thread it through the sliding block, thread in the small screw (with its washer) with a drop pf thread-locker into the end of the large screw, tighten. It's ready to go into the swingarm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The small screw holds a washer on the end of the large screw. When the system is assembled completely, the washer, being larger diameter than the large screw, can't pass back through the sliding shoe (Ducati-speak for the block). So, even if you don't tighten the large screw, it can't fall out. Insert the large screw through the plate, thread it through the sliding block, thread in the small screw (with its washer) with a drop pf thread-locker into the end of the large screw, tighten. It's ready to go into the swingarm.
thank you! i was in 2 hardwere shops today and they don't have that screw... any idea where i can find it along with the washer?

can't believe that idiot previous owner didn't tell me anything about those 2 screws and washer missing. this could've ended up much worse if that screw somehow jammed into something and made me lose control. thank got i was going very slow.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
It's not a 'special' screw (or washer), only small. Do you have any remote control hobby stores near?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It's not a 'special' screw (or washer), only small. Do you have any remote control hobby stores near?
well i guess it do, i'll look it up, you think they might have it there? if ask them for a m3x8 is that enough? i'm guessing 3x8 is the size of the screw correct?

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
well i guess it do, i'll look it up, you think they might have it there? if ask them for a m3x8 is that enough? i'm guessing 3x8 is the size of the screw correct?

3 mm is the diameter of the screw, 8 mm is the length under the screw head. The thread pitch is 0.5.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
measured

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
i wouldn't, i'd just torque everything up as it's meant to be. but it's your bike.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts