Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a spaghetti type exhaust headers for my 1995 Ducati 900ss/cr. I found ARC Fabrication's web site, and they make bad-a$$ stuff, but I wanted to see if there were any others available 'off the shelf' as opposed to a custom order (like ARC). Any ideas? Does anyone know if the spaghetti system will fit with my Ducati Racing/Termi CF high pipe slip-ons? Is there another type of header (other than the spaghetti's) that is better than stock. I will eventually be putting high compression pistons, and FCR carbs. The carbs and headers will probably come first, because the engine has low miles. Thanks. -Todd

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I saw that one on Ebay too, but for some reason, I got a bad vibe about the ad. I am not sure why. I will have check on that one some more, maybe I just looked at the ad wrong. Any other ideas. I have also heard that there is a stock style header pipe that has better bends and is slightly larger in internal diameter. Does anyone know where to find ANY type of better flowing head pipes for the 900ss (spaghetti of stock style)?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was at my local dealer earlier in the week and they had just got two Staintune full systems. Seems they and several other dealers had gotten enough orders together to get Staintune to make a batch. Not sure if the second system was sold.

If anyone is considering the Staintune header on Ebay, remember that the standard can will not fit as the full system uses larger diameter tubing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just checked with Casey the parts Manager at my local dealer, Moto Meccanica, and he said he may be able to get another Staintune full system. If anyone is interested, give Casey a call at 707-578-9022. I have no idea on pricing and have no affiliation with Moto Meccanica.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about GiaCaMoto pipes? I did a Dogpile search, and a search here, and I could not find where to buy them. They seem popular with the Moneter folks. I heard that they make a spaghetti system for the 900ss also, but where can I get them or see a photo of thier full system. Aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhh...everyone has spaghettis but me! Thanks. -Todd

·
Registered
566 Posts
From the Ducati index:

92'-2005 - I'm selling my 1-year old ARC custom undertail exhaust. I've used it for one race season, never down, no scrapes. This is a full stainliess steel tig-welded tuned exhaust system. Together with 41mm carbs netted me 85hp at the back wheel on a 98 900ss. The end can is a rounded rectangular unit. With my airtech tail, it is pretty much invisible, so in terms of crash protection, you're safe! It is an awesome piece of kit, and Doug sells them new for $1295. I'm letting mine go for 1/2 that, plus shipping cost -- that's $650 'murican, plus shipping. If you would like some detail pics, you can go to www.arcfabrication.com. I can also send you some pics of the exhaust system mounted. It will come complete -- springs, brackets, etc. Reason for selling is Doug is building me another exhaust -- his stuff is that good! Email me direct if you are interested. james james sheppard (brandon, MB, Canada) 204-726-5025 -

·
Registered
862 Posts
califblue said:
From the Ducati index:

92'-2005 - I'm selling my 1-year old ARC custom undertail exhaust. I've used it for one race season, never down, no scrapes. This is a full stainliess steel tig-welded tuned exhaust system. Together with 41mm carbs netted me 85hp at the back wheel on a 98 900ss. The end can is a rounded rectangular unit. With my airtech tail, it is pretty much invisible, so in terms of crash protection, you're safe! It is an awesome piece of kit, and Doug sells them new for $1295. I'm letting mine go for 1/2 that, plus shipping cost -- that's $650 'murican, plus shipping. If you would like some detail pics, you can go to www.arcfabrication.com. I can also send you some pics of the exhaust system mounted. It will come complete -- springs, brackets, etc. Reason for selling is Doug is building me another exhaust -- his stuff is that good! Email me direct if you are interested. james james sheppard (brandon, MB, Canada) 204-726-5025 -

I have an ARC for my 2006 1000 -- this is a SCREAMING deal.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Gia ca moto spagetti system

I just bought a ducati performance spagetti system for my 900FE. You'll have to start contacting dealers, and have them look in the back of their stor rooms for things. I bought the last set from a dealer. The old "just found it behind some boxes" senario.

I think I saw a post from some one on this site that mentioned that he had the carbon set on his bike, and had a left over AL system. Otherwise you'll have to pony up the $$ for a full termi or ARC.

Take a look at how much larger the pipes are compared to the stock header.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Califblue, that is a nice price for a nice system, but I want the side mount style cans. I am sure that you won't have a problem selling them.

SouthsideDuc, the spaghettis are supposed to flow much better. The idea is that they allow each cyllinder to flow into both pipes/mufflers evenly. The stock header lets each cyllinder 'see' both mufflers, but not very well. The spaghetti system is kindof like the 'x-pipes' that are available for muscle cars. I know that a Mustang 5.0L, for example, breathes much better with an x-style crossover pipe as opposed to a H-style crossover. I have heard that a 900ss with FCR carbs, a high compression piston kit, and a spaghetti exhaust is the 'perfect' street combination. Those items are supposed to let the bike rev out much more, and they are supposed to give much more power. I have seen a few nice dynos of 900ss with spaghettis, and one or two guys who claim that they don't do much. Who knows, maybe they won't do much, but I would like to find out on my bike/dyno.

We are getting closer to finding a spaghetti system for my precious bike, but I haven't found one yet. I will try to local dealer to see if they have one 'lost' in the back room. What kind of prices have you guys paid for your Termi full systems?

Whe can I see a picture of GiaCaMoto pipes? I cannot find a web site for them. Thanks. -Todd

·
Registered
709 Posts
califblue said:
From the Ducati index:

too late. I emailed James about his pipe last week [I was going to see if Doug could mod it to work on my fuelie bike. It was sold. It wouldn't have worked for me anyhow, as the primary tube dia. needs to be different for an ie bike.]

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
svttodd said:
Who knows, maybe they won't do much, but I would like to find out on my bike/dyno.
Be sure to post those dynos if you ever get them! I'd be very interested to see before and after runs. My suspicion is that the headers are not the limiting factor in flow for these bikes, but that's only a guess.

I'd also guess that the spaghetti systems give a lot more lean angle.

Tony

·
Registered
246 Posts
Here is your photo of a GiaCaMoto full system. I bought two complete systems a year ago, one with carbon cans (pictured) and another with alum cans. They were both left over warehouse stock and new in the box. They are identical except for the cans.

The only fault with them was they did not have the correct cannister brackets with either system. The pictured brackets on my '92 are for a high mount system; I plan to have ArcFab make new mid pipes this winter to turn the system into a high mount setup. This will allow use of the pictured brackets correctly (without the extension pictured).

They are very nice, large diameter, full stainless systems. As I found out, full systems for these bikes are very hard to find, slip-ons alone go for $400-500 on ebay.

Hope this helps, Ed.

·
Registered
348 Posts
guys I saw a picture somewhere of a standard set of headers that had the centre section of the cross joint cut out and plated top and bottom to form basically a box join between the two pipes.

Have people seen this done and given the cheapness of the mod does it do anything.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fester, I often think the same thing when I look at the stock header setup. I think that someone could modify a stock header to flow a little better at the 'x' joint, because that is where the pipe's flow seems to be strangled. Heck, fixing that small area might be just the ticket for increasing flow 'just enough' for a bike that is basically stock otherwise. If you could make it so both head pipes 'see' both mufflers better you might be in business. I think that a basically stock bike would benefit from slip ons, an open airbox/K&N, and this mod if done right. I hope someone try it and tests it out. I might get an extra stock header and try it at a local fabricator's shop. It should be cheap enough and easy enough to at least give it a try. -Todd

PS: My theory on this mod.... I think that the two pipes touching like this )( with openings on the insides of each pipe would have a better flow than making an open square box where the pipes meet (look up Bassani's or Doctor Gas 'X-pipes' for Mustangs for a good example of the 'touching X' type crossover pipe) . I think the box would make an area of disrupted flow. The 'touching x' would kind of direct the flow in the right directions. A good welder could open the area, cut/clean out the entire inside of the area, and then weld small metal ) and ( deflectors inside, and then put a box top over it to seal it (make it nice and stock looking, no junk jobs!). This would be easier/cheaper than trying to fabricate an entire mandrel bent 'touching x' area. Ooohh I feel motivated to try this (especially when spaghetti systems are so expensive).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey fester

Staintune used to make "X over" headers all made from pipe as a replacement for the stock pressed "X-over" headers.

I brought one when I had my 92 900SS (a few years ago now) from memory it was about the 3rd of the price of the spagetti sytem at the time. So I don't know if they still make them, but i'm sure they would still have the patterns. I just checked the Staintune site & couldn't see this style of "X-over" header.

I haven't had my 900SS for about 5yrs now, but the the bug has bit again.

Cheers

·
Registered
348 Posts
SVTTODD, the exact reason I ask is that I work in a stainless steel fabrication business and can't really afford any of the mega systems on the market at the moment.

I did see a pic of this mod when trolling through ducati web stuff recently but can't find it again. They did it pretty basic by teh look of the before/during/after pics. They just cut the top and bottom out to the chape of the curves leaving the outer walls as is. Can't remember what the inside looked like.

At any rate very easy for me to do neatly if I can find some details of what to do, assuming there is a right way to do it that actually makes a difference or more improtantly doesn't actually do anything bad.

If I got off my backside I'd do a full stainless new system but don't really have time at present. Trying madly to get the 89/90 900SS I just bought on the road.

Overall a good bike but has been sitting a fair while before I bought it and only done 300klm in last 2 years. Seller also had a good at "tuning" the weber before I picked it up and needless to say made matters worse.

Have just ditched the Weber and replaced with later Mikunis with Unifilters as no room for airbox. Although I could fab up a fibreglass airbox of sorts to fill the void in the frame/undertank area of this model.

Am in the middle of modding the original mufflers that were shot. One of the cans had spent some time on the bitumen by the looks with a dodgy repair and the other looked fairly average.

I am replacing the aluminium skins with stainless mirror polished tube. I've mirror polished the standard end caps (both entry and exit) and should finish rolling the perforated stainless sheet into my baffles this weekend. Internal diameter of the perforation is 48mm and straight through. It is 350mm long and will have a 50mm long cone at the entry end to give a transition from the odd entry angle of the standard end cap to the central bore of the new baffles. the 48mm baffle will then exit straight to the standard end caps which are at least 50mm if not more (haven't measured in a while). Intend to pack the mufflers with stainless steel wool.

Haven't tested to see if the headers are stainless yet but even if they were they look to weathered to polish up unfortunately. If I could get a later model standard set to polish it would be good but hard to come by cheap over here.

With those cans and the pod filters not sure whether to add a Dynojet kit and whether stage 1 or 2.

DucatiNoz if you had a picture of your old bike showing the exhaust it would be helpful.

Gavin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts