Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh man... 20 minutes on this thing is all you need to keep thinking about it every minute until... well... I'm not really sure because all that's going on in my mind is whether I should sell my beloved and immaculate 999S, which is something I swore I would never entertain...

UGH that [email protected] bike is magical. MAGICAL! So fun, so fast, so effortless, so comfortable... just ugly enough to really make me like it... nimble like a freaking panther. I felt like I was cheating on my wife with a 20 year-old bathing suit model, (with her support!)

I'll be taking donations for a down payment. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Don't even begin to compare the 999s super to the KTM urban. Two very different bikes built for two different purposes. Compare it to the new monster or Multi.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I have no basis of comparison. And, if you love it I guess you should buy it. But, to me it looks like a Transformer and is one of the least attractive bikes I've seen. I just think KTMs design department needs replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I love the look! That KTM is incredible! I had $$$ Deposit / 6 months in advance of Delivery. I think KTM scares Ducati Purists just a little bit. Sure, The KTM looks will never compare to Italian 'Taste.' Eventually, I cancelled my contract , and bought a Ducati. My 5th, I stand by my decision, However, The KTM is a better bike in almost every category, save History and elegance ! I really like the new SuperDuke R ! Its a bad Bitch!

Much respect to those that buy the 17' SDR

·
Bon Vivant
11,316 Posts
Hopefully with the the 17's KTM is done having customers do their reliability testing for them. Cause the SD may be a better bike in many ways... except for one... reliability. If you like the superduke - do yourself a favor and ride the other bikes in its class because they all give that same excitement. Tuono, S1000R, Streetfighter. Brutale, even the 1200R Monster... I'd take any one over the SD.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Disclaimer : I have not tried the new 1200 dukes
I do not want to.............. for a reason.

A few years back I test rode a KTM RC8 at the race track as the KTM test fleet was there, Nice bike but a few small flaws and not as strong or refined as a ducati superbike at the time. Getting off the bike they offered the Superduke 990R for me to try and I passed because I am not a fan of naked bikes with hoses and plumbing anywhere so mostly based on looks I had zero interest. After thinking a few I decided why not use up their fuel tires and try something different... big mistake!

The KTM superduke became my benchmark street bike, I found it to be a fantastic bike (other than looks) and though it has a few issues It is still at the top of my list for street bikes to ride. I have a few customers with them and have worked on a few so as a mechanic I like them as well. Note the plastic fuel tanks are no better on a KTM than a Ducati so expect issues there. I cannot speak to KTM warranty practices but the parts are available and not any worse than anyone else.

I have a couple customers with KTM 1200's and know I will be riding one soon, I know they have done a better job in cleaning the motor clutter up so the bike is better looking to me know and the power is up. I have too many bikes now so will need to sell something to get it under the radar, I fear it might happen.

I do like the 999 and the resale will be better as time marches on with the ducati but I do not think it will hold as well with the KTM if this matters to you. I never sell my own bikes and do not know as I would care as the KTM is probably a keeper if not a looker.

Me I am waiting on the new 790 duke or RC790 to try as Hp is not my main concern.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Lol! @ my buddy Flynn

Reactions: flynbulldog

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It's crazy, there are so many Duc "purists" that want twins forever and cringe at the thought of a V4. Yet shy away from the stonkin twin the KTM has? :think:

·
comrade moderator
27,181 Posts
If we made our bike buying decisions based solely what we read on the internet, Nobody would ever buy a Ducati, or a KTM, or an Aprilia, or a BMW...

I can tell you this from my own experience having owned several Ducati's and KTM's: I'd MUCH rather work on a KTM than a Ducati. From the intelligent design and layout to the quality of fasteners, KTM shines. There's no dealer of either brand within a day's drive from me so whatever goes wrong with my bikes I have to be able to fix. I don't own multiple bikes so I'd prefer to be able to fix it quickly, with minimal down time.

Gimmee a KTM any old day.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I am on board w/ KTM. I'll chime in w/ the SD 990 being a fantastic machine, and I also had the chance to get on a SuperMono w/ the 990 engine plugged into it, which was a ridiculous fun bike. I have a XC-300, and so far, other than a minor gas leak issue on the SD 990 in 105 degree weather, KTM has been an excellent brand/machines. I would love to have an 08 RC8R with a proper mapping.

As for the 1200 SD, I see no reason to tempt myself. It's dirt and track for me, and I don't need a machine to convince me to get back on the road.

As far as looks go, they are different. The front end on all their non-dirt bikes could use some adjustment, but they aren't that bad.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know I know I'm not gonna sell my 999S, don't worry. I love that thing too much.

And yes, the KTM is ugly AF, I know. And I mentioned that.

And sure it's not the same thing as a Ducati super bike...

However, go do yourselves a favor and go ride the 2017 1290 Super Duke R before dissing it. Ideally a black one with an Akra titanium full system, PC5 and full remap and bigger airbox, and just the right amount of bling.

And THEN, diss it all you want if you really feel that way.

this bike is a major improvement on its predecessors in every way, and yes, it's uglier than ever. But that's also one thing about it that's kind of cool. And through its ugliness, the details and finish are seriously top notch.

Inline fours do nothing for me so the Beemer is out. The Tuono is a beast yes, but I'm not a fan of the aprilla frame. I have a sport classic and a 999 so not gonna go Monster.

Anyway, probably not gonna buy one but, I was never really into KTMs and this bike is seriously fucking with me. All I'm saying.

Thanks for your opinions though... ;)

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I test rode the SD 1290 last summer and I still can't get it out of my mind, I was that impressed. But I couldn't part ways with one of my Ducs to make room for the SD.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I had been thinking I would pick one up for the last 4 years now
they have been discounting them $3,000 every November. I
did the KTM Demo day and with all the electronics dialed up It
was no Beast and seemed tame next to my Hyper. After all this
time spent wanting one I put a deposit on a new 2017 in November
2016 since it was the first redesign well after the release date got
pushed back several times I gave up on it again. Maybe I will be
looking again in November if they do the discount this year. I know
the engine is suppose to be awesome but it is a love it or hate it