Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran my last set of Pilot Power about 6,000 miles. And these are starting to look a bit flattened and thin in the center although there's about 3/16" groove left. Got a 1500 mi trip coming up and I'm thinking maybe replace now rather than replace on the road. What do you guys think?

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
I replace when I see cords, but I always do it at home and have tires on hand.

Given your trip though, I probably swap them. Keep them though.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Not really. I never felt a lack of traction. The tires are always ready at the first hint of cord. Just before you will see zigzag bands from where the rubber just covers the cords.

I've also checked and rechecked that m/c tires are way less suseptable to hydroplaning when traveling at acceptable speeds regardless of tread remaining.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
My tyres are cupped by around 4-5K and I can feel the bike dancing around on the edge when I corner so the go around then.

No cords over here, law states they must be changed if less than 1mm over 1/4 of the face

Gota love the USA 55 mph speed limit but bald tyres are OK :confused::D

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm always surprised the condition of vehicles that are legal in some states.

And no more 55, Speed limits in some parts of Utah and Texas are 80!:D

So imagine bald tires and 80mph. :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
I let the tire's wear bars be my guide. When they’re flush with the tire surface, the tires go. I have run them down to the cords in bouts of laziness or not being prepared with a fresh set on hand. Not a great idea IMHO. When I did run the tire that low, out of curiosity I cut one open. I think you'd be surprised at how little material there is left. Not a lot of insurance between a good ride and an 80MPH unfortunate sudden loss of air... As in any situation, do what you're comfortable with, but you can't go wrong going with the wear bars, kind of what they're there for.

Oh, I guess age too. Lets say you find than mint 916 with less than 1000 miles on it and original tires... Yeah, they'll need to go if you plan to ride it at all!

·
El lobo solitario
103 Posts
They are well within legal limits of most states which is 2/32", but definitely change them when you get back. However, if you feel better about it, change them now because, to me, tires are cheap insurance and you don't want to mess around with them.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
I let the tire's wear bars be my guide. When they’re flush with the tire surface, the tires go. I have run them down to the cords in bouts of laziness or not being prepared with a fresh set on hand. Not a great idea IMHO. When I did run the tire that low, out of curiosity I cut one open. I think you'd be surprised at how little material there is left. Not a lot of insurance between a good ride and an 80MPH unfortunate sudden loss of air... As in any situation, do what you're comfortable with, but you can't go wrong going with the wear bars, kind of what they're there for.

Oh, I guess age too. Lets say you find than mint 916 with less than 1000 miles on it and original tires... Yeah, they'll need to go if you plan to ride it at all!
I'm aware of what is there. It is pretty cool seeing that finger pressure on the inside makes your finger visible on the outside. As is, my commute is a mere 20mi. If I were planning a trip or even a longer weekend ride, the tire condition plays a larger role and was the advice given to Ducatak.

My tires only last a year on the rear. Also, note that I've never even seen a hint of cord up front. I've felt a bit of slow turn-in due to the squared off center, never a hint of grip going away. For me, a new tire only seems to quicken the turn-in.

Trust me, there are much worse things going on in the states than a worn rear tire that is being monitored. I am one of the biggest advocates for yearly vehicle inspections. The ones that occurred in PA are a shadow of the MOT system, but would be quite welcomed here.

Have a good one.

·
7,733 Posts
I know it's time to replace my tires, because that's when they start handling better than ever with about 600 miles left on them! What's up with that? :confused:

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Less mass? The weight loss is significant. In the dry, there are less sipes and more rubber in contact. Not to mention the carcass is less stiff, so it conforms better. It's like a good old pair of leathers.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I replace when I see cords, but I always do it at home and have tires on hand.

Given your trip though, I probably swap them. Keep them though.
This is the same way I am. If my tires were as the OP describes them and had a trip coming up, I'd just swap wheels out with fresh rubber for the trip, but I'd still finish off the tires on the bike now by remounting them and running them out after the trip.

I have spare sets of rims and rotors for nearly all my bikes and have a tire rack in my basement with 7 sets of tires on it as I type this. The way my wife and I have killed some tires, I like to be prepared. There's nothing worse than having a good Saturday ride to find out your tires are shagged and no one has them or can change them for you, so you end up having to sit at home on a Sunday when you'd rather be in the mountains for a 400-mile day.

As for the legality concern, tires to the cord are not legal. It's just that some regions the cops don't care. I've gone through license checks on bald tires and even on racing slicks, and the cops usually don't care. I did get one ticket for running racing slicks on the street though. He wrote up the ticket claiming I was "endangering the public". I got a good laugh at that. I got the set of slicks with a single 20-minute session on them for $20 for the pair. The cost of the tires and the ticket was 1/2 what a new set of Michelins cost. The "improper equipment" ticket didn't go against my insurance, so even with the ticket, it was a win-win situation.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
This is the same way I am. If my tires were as the OP describes them and had a trip coming up, I'd just swap wheels out with fresh rubber for the trip, but I'd still finish off the tires on the bike now by remounting them and running them out after the trip.
Absolutely. Same here.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I can only speak about the northeast, but bald tires are NOT legal by any means.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I'd change them.
You'd be amazed at how fast tires can wear, at the end of their life cycle, especially with a travel load and/or spirited riding.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Less mass? The weight loss is significant. In the dry, there are less sipes and more rubber in contact. Not to mention the carcass is less stiff, so it conforms better. It's like a good old pair of leathers.

Have a good one.
I get closer every set to seeing cords. I just seem to push a bit further every time its getting close. I have a set on the Tuono that are below the wear markers and starting to crack around the centre but they still perform well.

Our rules state 1.5mm of tread over 3/4 of the tire to be legal. I would hate to bin the bike and have insurance not pay out due to the bike not being up to MOT standards.

Its a bit of cognitive dissonance I think. I want to get my money out of the tires knowing they are safe for my riding but also want insurance payout for crash. A battle inside my mind doing something knowing its wrong!!

I feel a little better this time with a set of tires coming over from the states saving me $200:D

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I went for a ride today with a guy on a VTR. I mentioned to him that his tyre had started cracking horizontaly across the centre of the tyre (Pirelli Diablo) By the time we had reached Hamilton (120km) the cords were showing and a bubble had started to protrude. You could easily push inwards (concave) with your thumb.

So we had to get a shop to put a new set of tyres on. That is the most rapid failure from a start of cracks to needing replacement that I have ever seen!! Maybe it was the brand. The rest of the tyre looked like it had plenty of miles left ................

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
I went for a ride today with a guy on a VTR. I mentioned to him that his tyre had started cracking horizontaly across the centre of the tyre (Pirelli Diablo) By the time we had reached Hamilton (120km) the cords were showing and a bubble had started to protrude. You could easily push inwards (concave) with your thumb.

So we had to get a shop to put a new set of tyres on. That is the most rapid failure from a start of cracks to needing replacement that I have ever seen!! Maybe it was the brand. The rest of the tyre looked like it had plenty of miles left ................
They need to go round more corners LOL !

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
So i would expect to see a flat spot but it wasn't obvious.
I dont understand , you posted that the tyre was down to the cords but that the rest of the tyre looked fine , surely that meant it was worn out down the middle and therefore flat ??

If it was down in the middle but still round then does the guy do regular burnouts ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts