Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I better get the bike fast cuz I keep spending money on it LOL.

So far, I've got the following:
Termi slip-ons
Dymag CF 5 spoke wheels with Pilot Power tires M&B (got for a good price, and didn't really know about BSTs...oh well)
BrakeTech Starblade CMC rotors
Ferodo brake pads for use with CMC rotors
CarbonDry Monoposto tail
CarbonDry Undertank Panels
CRG SSR rearsets in Gold
Integrated taillight
Oberon Bar end turn signals
Oberon turn signal mirror mount adaptors
Rizoma Class Retro mirrors
Oberon Mirror Block Off Plates
Rizoma Oblong clutch cover
EVR vented pressure plate
EVR Stainless steel clutch hardware kit
still want: a really loud horn!!!

I thought I was done but then I saw the magnesium swingarm and triple. I would be willing to buy these if it is more than pure bling. But I can also image that at this point I've done more than I need LOL. I'm trying to knock weight down, of course, but trying to just own something I really like for once in my life (I've never put a lot of coin into anything before, ever...no more than a few K into my previous bikes). And I'm having a midlife crisis I think...ok maybe not. OK maybe.

I don't care about making it go like snot right yet, want a year behind me first (long time no riding, many years - I've actually ordered Rev to put a tooth over in the front to take a bit of bite out for a few months), and I love-love-love the look of the mag swingarm, but at the price, is this just pure stupidity?

Obviously a very subjective decision, but the only responses I've had so far are from friends, none of whom ride, and it's all been that I shouldn't.

However I'm a wacko sometimes and I can't imagine anything but a huge grin on my face the second I see it on the bike (with the mag triple). But I also don't want to be the 2009 Ducati equivalent of some guy in the 1980s with an IROC, too much money, and too little taste.

Anyways, comments would be appreciated cuz this is one I can't decide myself...

Shawn

·
Registered
69 Posts
magnesium on an italian piece of art isnt flamboyant... chrome on an IROC is. I say go for it. I may be wrong, but i think the weights of the two swingarms are essentially the same, so yes, its purely a cosmetic upgrade. (might also be a tad longer...? but if you're going 1 up on the front, thats irrelevant).... but if you've got the coin to do it, why not? you say you've never dumped a lot of dough into anything before. no time like the present!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but if you've got the coin to do it, why not? you say you've never dumped a lot of dough into anything before. no time like the present!
This is probably the ONLY time I'll have this kind of coin...and it's coming out of my condo savings LOL. I'm willing to live with that, I think.

This thing is more addictive than smoking, heroin (I'd guess) and hot Slavic women combined.

weight: I think it's about 15% lighter but I assume a large part of that really isn't unsprung, so...not a big change I'd guess.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hey Shawn,

This might sound a bit strange as I'm not helping you to spend more money on your 1098 at the moment, but...

The Magnesium swingarm, with Magnesium eccentric looks great, and does lengthen the bike just slightly, while weighing slightly less, being slightly stiffer, and looking cooler.

However, it costs quite a bit more than I would say it's worth in real world street value.

The benefits (performance/handling wise) would be virtually unnoticeable to any of us mortal riders (maybe a Rossi could tell the difference).

If you are after the look, several people with MV Agusta's powdercoated or painted their swingarms to look like the Magnesium version that came on the Oro's, and truth be told, when placed side by side you couldn't tell the fake from the real.

So you may want to opt for a paint/powdercoat job.

Or it you want to make it look like it is an entirely carbon fiber swingarm, have it coated by our CarbonDry Protec service (its roughly $1200 - still much cheaper then the Magnesium version).

Hope that helps,
Randy

·
Registered
741 Posts
Termi slip-ons
Dymag CF 5 spoke wheels with Pilot Power tires M&B (got for a good price, and didn't really know about BSTs...oh well)
CarbonDry Monoposto tail
CRG SSR rearsets in Gold
Integrated taillight
Pictures!!!

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
I better get the bike fast cuz I keep spending money on it LOL.

Termi slip-ons
CarbonDry Monoposto tail
CRG SSR rearsets in Gold
Integrated taillight
still want: a really loud horn!!!

I thought I was done but then I saw the magnesium swingarm and triple. I would be willing to buy these if it is more than pure bling. But I can also image that at this point I've done more than I need LOL. I'm trying to knock weight down, of course, but trying to just own something I really like for once in my life (I've never put a lot of coin into anything before, ever...no more than a few K into my previous bikes). And I'm having a midlife crisis I think...ok maybe not. OK maybe.

I don't care about making it go like snot right yet, want a year behind me first (long time no riding, many years - I've actually ordered Rev to put a tooth over in the front to take a bit of bite out for a few months), and I love-love-love the look of the mag swingarm, but at the price, is this just pure stupidity?

Obviously a very subjective decision, but the only responses I've had so far are from friends, none of whom ride, and it's all been that I shouldn't.

However I'm a wacko sometimes and I can't imagine anything but a huge grin on my face the second I see it on the bike (with the mag triple). But I also don't want to be the 2009 Ducati equivalent of some guy in the 1980s with an IROC, too much money, and too little taste.

Anyways, comments would be appreciated cuz this is one I can't decide myself...

Shawn
Post some pics bro......Sounds like a beautiful bike...

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Randy, yeah I never thought of that, powdercoating. Or for that matter I can probably polish it myself, used to be good at that.

I think the bottom line is, it's a real trick piece, but do I need it THAT much? I dunno, obviously it also makes it that more of a target if I happen to leave it in the wrong parking lot (I'll be riding it a lot, and leaving it alone, therefore a lot).

I don't think I'd have it CF coated, that doesn't really make sense to me, to ADD weight for the sake of looks (and obviously I'm sure it makes it a bit more rigid, but I won't be testing that for a long time, I'm sure).

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will post pics for sure (I haven't even got the bike, they are waiting to ship it with DP alarm at the same time). Anyone have a clue what the labour will cost to do all this?

I'm a semi-pro photog so I'll find a babe and make her look almost as good as the bike LOL. Yes, I'm in a wacky mood. No, not drinking. Yes, wish I was:)

Shawn

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
congrats on the bike and midlife crisis :) some nice choices there, if you're considering triples and swingarm have a read of this and shoot Jason an email before you jump in, he really knows his stuff

http://www.departmentofsuspension.com/info/

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
congrats on the bike and midlife crisis :) some nice choices there, if you're considering triples and swingarm have a read of this and shoot Jason an email before you jump in, he really knows his stuff

Yeah, I've been reading that all day. But I have the same problem I always had, I don't understand trail, never been able to. Anyone with a For Dummies response to that?

·
9,757 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
do the pipes come with a chip?

personally i wouldn't let the shop fit anything, post up questions or search for each piece as you go to fit it, pick up some tools and a couple of stands, you'll save a fortune and know your bike. half the fun is fitting everything yourself.

wheel it into the loungeroom and enjoy

and if you're looking for more suggestions
white number plate for the front.
carbon fibre swingarm protector, even available for the mag swingarm i beleive for $200 maybe.

probably worth having the shop set your sag while it's there if they're any good

have a browse through here, really good service and a brilliant range
<http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?CategoryID=168|European%20Motorcycle%20Parts>

·
Registered
481 Posts
Check out the swingarm on Moto Corse's bike - http://www.bellissimoto.com/MotoCorse1098Exhausts.html

(Sorry about the small pictures)

I read that too, and I understand they were able to relocate the radiator, but what about the V-panel of the fairing? Won't their still be contact with the front tire there?

Anyways, back to the original question of Magnesium triples, We can get them, but I would go with a well made set of billet aluminum triples such as the Attack Performance ones first.

This is because magnesium parts do suffer from corosion and have a set shelflife.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They SAID it comes with the chip, and they SAID they are doing anything they can to fix known issues before it's out the door, and they said they will do the front sprocket and install the alarm and set the suspension for my skinny arse. All these 'saids' if they turn into 'dids' I'll be happy...

I do want to do as much of this as I can, need to get the tools though (I do art, not autos, so my tools are not conducive to a Ducati at this moment LOL).

I just PMed a member regarding getting both ends off the ground to get me started on that actually (stands).

White number plate is something I've been toying with, but I REALLY love Italian bikes and cars+red (and lots of it). To me that's something you don't muck around with too much. However I do love the look of white number plates so I will decide when I have the bike in front of me.

I want to find a good Ducati guy in Toronto, even an off-hours deal with someone, for the finer points like setting up suspension etc.

do the pipes come with a chip?

personally i wouldn't let the shop fit anything, post up questions or search for each piece as you go to fit it, pick up some tools and a couple of stands, you'll save a fortune and know your bike. half the fun is fitting everything yourself.

wheel it into the loungeroom and enjoy

and if you're looking for more suggestions
white number plate for the front.
carbon fibre swingarm protector, even available for the mag swingarm i beleive for $200 maybe.

probably worth having the shop set your sag while it's there if they're any good

have a browse through here, really good service and a brilliant range
<http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?CategoryID=168|European%20Motorcycle%20Parts>

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is because magnesium parts do suffer from corosion and have a set shelflife.
I can poly them, no? You know I like gold/yellow/magnesium LOL...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I want to find a good Ducati guy in Toronto, even an off-hours deal with someone, for the finer points like setting up suspension etc.
You should call Z1 Cycletech...they seem to be the cats a** for race setup stuffs in toronto and i believe one of their guys is racing a duc but i could be mistaken.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
The benefits (performance/handling wise) would be virtually unnoticeable to any of us mortal riders (maybe a Rossi could tell the difference).
I've installed longer swingarms on several of my Ducatis: 916SP, 996R and 999R. I'm currently in the process of installing the magnesium swingarm on the 1098.
It made my other bikes much more stable at speed. You can tell the very first time you get on the bike.

I wouldn't do it for the bling factor or the weight savings- but I would do it for any bike that you plan to ride fast.

-M

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've installed longer swingarms on several of my Ducatis: 916SP, 996R and 999R. I'm currently in the process of installing the magnesium swingarm on the 1098.
It made my other bikes much more stable at speed. You can tell the very first time you get on the bike.

I wouldn't do it for the bling factor or the weight savings- but I would do it for any bike that you plan to ride fast.

-M
We are talking a 15mm length difference here though, and unless your hitting over 180mph, I can't see the 1098 needing to be much more stable then it already is.

Then again, you have more FHE with these swingarms than me, so I'll take your word for it,

But then again, don't you hurt the bikes handling through the twisties when you lengthen the wheelbase?

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
We are talking a 15mm length difference here though, and unless your hitting over 180mph, I can't see the 1098 needing to be much more stable then it already is.

Then again, you have more FHE with these swingarms than me, so I'll take your word for it,

But then again, don't you hurt the bikes handling through the twisties when you lengthen the wheelbase?
It does not feel any slower turning but it is more stable at speed and on the throttle. It just rails around turns. You notice it from about 30mph on up on. the faster you go the more difference it makes.

-M

1 - 20 of 28 Posts