Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is directed at folks who own a 1990s carbed bike along with other bikes. I'm thinking about buying one of these bikes, but since I own a couple of other bikes (916 and CBR954rr), as much as I want one, I'm trying to figure out, when I'd pick riding a 900SS over the other two bikes.

So for all you multi-bike owners, when (why) do you pick you 900SS over your other bikes to ride?

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
a) I need a two-up bike, and don't need the luggage space of my ST2.

b) I'm riding the local roads, which are much more technical than more open roads, or for some of the more technical Alpine passes. The SS is 70 lbs lighter than my 999R, and has a shorter wheelbase.

c) I need/want better fuel economy and wider range. During my nephew's visit, we'd fill up together, he usually on my SS, me on my 999R, and the 999 generally took 30-40% more fuel, same roads and speeds. The SS also holds 3 liters more (ETI tank)

Tom

·
Registered
152 Posts
My 900 CR is my daily rider, I have a Honda NS400R in showroom condition that has collector plates that I ride on special occasions.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Just sell the other bikes and buy the carb'd 900SS ... I'm not a multi-bike owner I don't have a need for another bike. Over the years I have been very close to buying other bikes but keep coming back to when would I use another bike ... when my first 900SS was destroyed I was very distraught and purchased another carb'd 900SS 3 days later I couldn't really even walk but needed another one in my garage even though it was a month before I could get on it!

Maybe what I am trying to say is you'll find time to use it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a CBR929, a 900SS and DRZ400SM.

The 929 gets ridden 80% of the time. More power, handles better and it's more reliable. The DRZ needs a new battery so it's not been ridden this year (sad really...)

·
Registered
454 Posts
You'll pry my 916 (one of the first run bikes, hand built in Varese) from my cold dead hands, before I'll let it go.....
LoL ... nice, I can't blame you for keeping that ... I must come clean and say while I do ride the SS everyday rain, hail or shine I also have four cars including in a race car so that might also be part of the reason I don't need a second bike. I have enough hassle making excuses for using all my toys as it is.

The guy I bought my '97 off had 12 bikes, all various styles of Jap bikes except for the one Ducati and he just wasn't using the bike hence why he sold it. He said he rode the SS a few times when he first got it and loved it but he just didn't ride it after that because there was always something better in his fleet for every outing. Thats the downfall of the SS its not great at anything just competant at everything imo.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My '92 900SS is dedicated for track use only because it's a blast to ride and I can afford fixing it more than I can my '03 749.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a CBR929, a 900SS and DRZ400SM.

The 929 gets ridden 80% of the time. More power, handles better and it's more reliable. The DRZ needs a new battery so it's not been ridden this year (sad really...)
I pretty much split mileage between my 916 and CBR, with the 916 favored in the early and late parts of the season, when the bum warming is a plus (I'm in MN). The CBR is ok, but doesn't really do that much for me. Its' extra speed, and better handling are overkill for the street in my opinion.

So when and why do you ride your 900ss instead of your CBR?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Most of California'a mountain roads don't require great power to make good progress. Last weekend I rode with two 999's, (one guy was new to the roads but skilled), but still kept up with both no problem. No I'm not fast, I'm talking about a nice brisk sporting pace, non-competitive. Still, the power difference is not a factor being the point. I will say if someone is going faster than I am, they're willing/able to ride faster. The bike is not the limiting factor for road riding. Track is really another story, and at fast tracks you would get thoroughly dusted.

They are great bikes on 40 to 70 mph roads. You will need suspension upgrades, and hi-comps with FCR's help alot.

Plus on the freeway drone to get to where the roads get fun they are fine ergonomically. But so is your CBR.

Bottom line, it's an emotional decision, not a rational one. I pick it to ride when I am riding tighter roads for longer periods of time.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
You'll pry my 916 (one of the first run bikes, hand built in Varese) from my cold dead hands, before I'll let it go.....
Real Ducatis are built in Bologna, Cagivas are built in Varese:eek:.

(yours does have the Cagiva Elephant emblem all over the place, right:p)

Tom

·
Registered
431 Posts
must be alot of fake ducati's around then tom including my 97ss

ray it really depends on how much u really want it the are a cool bike to own easy low cost maintenance

sounds like your got some nice bikes but I think u might get bored on a slow ss

·
Registered
119 Posts
Don't plan on selling it any time soon, but my 95 900ss is the second least ridden of my bikes. I find it to be the least comfortable (for me). But once or twice a month I get that itch that can only be scratched by some twisties on the duc. :)

But even with four bikes...I still find that I am in the mood for one and that's the one I take out. Although I almost always use the vfr for commuting, it's just easier with the large tank and hard bags.

I don't have a problem keeping a bike I only ride once or twice a month. That isn't counting the times I sit in the garage and just smile at it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm in the midwest. It's flat/straight most everywhere.
I find I ride the goose more than any of the ducks.
When I want to run with my buddys, then the Fe is my favorite.
Other than straight away speed, it doesn't do as bad as some make it out to be.

I do put quite a few track miles on my '92.
It's a great track ride, but does get humbled on the straights.
It feels good when you get around someone on a modern jap bike. :D

·
Registered
366 Posts
I pretty much split mileage between my 916 and CBR, with the 916 favored in the early and late parts of the season, when the bum warming is a plus (I'm in MN). The CBR is ok, but doesn't really do that much for me. Its' extra speed, and better handling are overkill for the street in my opinion.

So when and why do you ride your 900ss instead of your CBR?
I put heated grips onto the Honda for November riding.

It's an emotional choice... When I want to hear the sound of the Duc.
It's also a completely different riding dynamic. It's not as "perfect" as the Honda so it feels as though it requires more operator intervention. But it pulls cleaner from lights and feels better around town.
It also gets way more looks - even thought he Honda is repainted bright yellow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In regards to the SS, I've owned two and have found the lightness, precision and general funkiness to be highly addicting. If you like an involving ride it will be so different from your other bikes that if you ride it long enough you will get hooked and want to keep it around. I own an Aprilia Falco, a modded Buell M2, and a Harley and if I had to get rid of them, the order of departure would be Harley first, then Falco, Buell maybe and definately not the 900. :)

Kaput

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
I haven't been on my SS in about five weeks. The temps have been running right around 100 degrees fahrenheit daily here in Houston for the past three weeks or so, and I really don't like riding the old girl when it's this hot. My 1098 is miserable in the heat, especially around town, so that leaves the Hyper to do most of the duty right now. Since I'm not riding the SS I'm toying with the idea of dropping it off for a 41mm Keihin flat-slide conversion, Dyna-coil upgrade, and a full service.

Since I've had the trio of Duc's I've put a few more miles on the Hyper, and about even between the SS and 1098.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Since 1996, the SSs have been my daily rides. In fact, they get used for commuting, weekend jaunts, backroad scratching, week long tours; IOW pretty much for everything. To me, they are the perfect all arounder. The bevels definitely only get ridden on sunny Sundays. Right now, the FE is down (966 going in) and my NS400R has an igniter problem that's not so easy to fix so the bevels are getting more of a workout.

I've added a bone stock Superlight recently (sig needs updating) but find it frustrates me to ride it with the shi$$y stock suspension, carbs and engine. Somehow the bevels' limitations don't bother me so it's obviously all in my head!

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I want to go for a ride by myself I always take my FE. The sound of the open air box and the Forza pipes helps to clear my mind. When I ride with sportbike friends the FE is always my choice. It adds a little bit of class to the group. If I ride with my Harley friends I take my Buell Lightning.

·
Obsessive/Compulsive collector
326 Posts
I try to split the time between my '97 ss/sp & my '00 M900Sie. Depends sometimes on a) where they are in their maintenance rotation and b) which one is closer to the door. Of course, when I'm going somewhere special (like MotoGP), I take the ss/sp. You don't see that many of the yellow ones out here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts