Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year did Ducati start with the red key? I was going to go look at a 99 748 and he hadn't heard of the red key. If it doesn't have it and needs it I won't even look. But I am not sure if they even had it in 99.

Any help would be great.

Thanks Jami

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got off the phone with BCM Ducati in NH. He thinks they started in 03 but 99 would definitely not have one.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
my 2001 st4s has got one

·
Registered
39 Posts
no red key here

my 2000 748 does not have a red key. i did buy it used, but the previous owner gave me everything he got with the bike. i read through the manual once, and i don't remember it mentioning the red key

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
No red key on my 2002 model 998. It alreay has the new ECU on it, but still has an analogue speedo and rev counter. If it has the digital display then I think it has the red key.... bunt dont quote me on that.
SF

·
Registered
28 Posts
I actually bought an 01' 748 brand new from the dealer in 07'. They said it was a left over. It did not come with a "red key". I inquired about it because at the Superbike races at Infineon Raceway at the Ducati tent, they were no longer accepting red keys as proof of ownership to get into the hospitality tent.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What year did Ducati start with the red key? I was going to go look at a 99 748 and he hadn't heard of the red key. If it doesn't have it and needs it I won't even look. But I am not sure if they even had it in 99.

Any help would be great.

Thanks Jami
The RED Key was introduced with the 999 and then followed in the 749. The 916/996/998 never had red keys neither did the 748. The red key functionality is controlled in the instrument panel introduced with the 999.

Yes the 998 ECU is the same as the 999 unit. On the 999 the key sends a signal to the instrument panel which determines if the key is correct and then the instrument sends a signal to the ECU to activate the bike. As the older 916/996/998 and 748 bikes don't have the newer instrument panel they also don't have the immobiliser.

Andrew...

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,398 Posts
Does the 848 have a red key? I can't remember getting one - I have two black keys.
No, you should have got a card with something like a bar code and numbers on it.

As for a red key with a 99 748 I have a 2000 748 bought brand new it didn't have one. Indeed our 2004 998S FE bought brand new didn't have a red key either!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Does the 848 have a red key? I can't remember getting one - I have two black keys.
I didn't get a red key with my 848 either (picked up the bike last week). I did get the code card. I was going to call my dealer (as my other two Ducs came with both the red key and the code card), but after reading a couple of posts here it seems the 848 doesn't come with the key.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I got a Red key and a Key code card with my new '07 800ss I bought last July. I wonder if they canned the Red key in '08 models.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought my 848 last month and did not get a red key. I got two black keys and a card located inside of the manuel. I called my dealer today and he said that the 848 does not come with a red key only older bikes ie: 02,03,04 ect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a 2005 Multistrata, with no keys at all. The bike is in Michigan, and I am in Canada. Does anyone know what is required for this bike, or even someone knowledgeable to speak to??

Thanks,
Mike.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The 2005 Multistrada does require a red key. If you do not have the key you will have to buy a new dash and cpu to get a new red key. Sign up at Multistrada.net this topic has been discussed in extreme detail.

·
Registered
608 Posts
1198 black keys

Same w/ 1198 (2009 model of course).
2 black keys, no red. Code card, yes (this replaces the red key). WRITE that number (on the code card) down somewhere (like on your cell phone)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought my 848 last month and did not get a red key. I got two black keys and a card located inside of the manuel. I called my dealer today and he said that the 848 does not come with a red key only older bikes ie: 02,03,04 ect.
Same over here. My 2004 SS did come with a red key and when i picked up my 848 I was told that all you get is the code card plus 2 black keys.....

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
The red key system is one of the dumbest things Ducati ever did. Neither of my '02 998's has had one and I think they gave it up in '09. I believe it started in '03 or '04.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts