Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

When buying extra wheels

3364 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  st2lemans
Looking into buying extra wheels for my trackbike. Want to replace really the stock 3-spokers. I doubt I would ever use the 3 spokers again as I can't imagine wanting to use them after going either the stock OEM 5 spoke or forged March aluminum 10 spoke route. The question then is what about brake rotors and all the other junk that is normally on the wheel?

If I lean towards always using the new wheels I get I assume I can just have all the stuff transferred over to the new wheels. Everything should be compatible?

If I decide to get stuff so that I have 2 sets of wheels ready to go I've heard not to buy used rotors. So I guess looking for advice if I go down this path.

Remember price matters since this is a track bike. So no Braketech rotors or anything like that.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
672 Posts
grendels_arm said:
Remember price matters since this is a track bike. So no Braketech rotors or anything like that.
I have bought a few sets of used rotors, and have yet to be disappointed.

These are the cheapest I've ever seen for a set of "snowflake" rotors.

If they are indeed in excellent condition, they are worth it. the aluminum carriers will shave some valuable weight over the stock "swiss cheese" rotors.

right here in your home forum....

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=1775

If you don't buy them.....maybe I will

· Registered
672 Posts
If you have stock rotors, they are SS. Cast iron have certain qualities that are great for dedicated racebikes, but have the annoying tendency to rust on bikes that are not ridden daily.

The snowflake rotors are SS. "Snowflake" is just a general term used to describe the design of the aluminum carrier [the part that is bolted to the wheel, the rotor is secured to the carrier with rivets, or "buttons" be it semi, or full floating..]

The stock rotors on many year model Ducs have a steel carrier, which has round holes in it....hence the term "swiss cheese".

I'm at home, with no picture archive...or I'd show you the difference.

I believe the SS rotor material is the same on both styles.

I've never seen "cast iron specific" pads...but the bite may be noticeably different on them.

I run DP-RDP pads in both my bikes [single and 2 pin calipers] and am pleased with their braking performance on the stock rotors. I've thought about getting full floating buttons [I have friends who swear by them] but haven't gotten around to it yet.

What cast iron rotors have you been running on your bike?

· Registered
672 Posts
Rainman said:
That way if I have use the "John Deere" option, I have no worries.

Rainman...could you elaborate on exactly what the "John Deere" option is???
Or, at least, the execution of said manuver?

Diagrams would be useful... :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.