Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

When buying extra wheels

3361 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  st2lemans
Looking into buying extra wheels for my trackbike. Want to replace really the stock 3-spokers. I doubt I would ever use the 3 spokers again as I can't imagine wanting to use them after going either the stock OEM 5 spoke or forged March aluminum 10 spoke route. The question then is what about brake rotors and all the other junk that is normally on the wheel?

If I lean towards always using the new wheels I get I assume I can just have all the stuff transferred over to the new wheels. Everything should be compatible?

If I decide to get stuff so that I have 2 sets of wheels ready to go I've heard not to buy used rotors. So I guess looking for advice if I go down this path.

Remember price matters since this is a track bike. So no Braketech rotors or anything like that.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
645 Posts
If given the option or means, I'd go for the cast iron over SS every time. Ductile iron would be better but more $$$.

As mentioned, they do tent to rust up a bit but that's easily rectified - just ride the bike slowly with the brakes engaged for a short bit and the brake pads will wipe off the surface rust on the cast iron rotors.

You should use specific organic pads to get the most benefit but these days most sintered pads seem to work fine (and the old adage that sintered pads wear out iron rotors - while true - are not as much of a concern these days).

FWIW, I have 2 set of rims and 1 set of rotors.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.