Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into buying extra wheels for my trackbike. Want to replace really the stock 3-spokers. I doubt I would ever use the 3 spokers again as I can't imagine wanting to use them after going either the stock OEM 5 spoke or forged March aluminum 10 spoke route. The question then is what about brake rotors and all the other junk that is normally on the wheel?

If I lean towards always using the new wheels I get I assume I can just have all the stuff transferred over to the new wheels. Everything should be compatible?

If I decide to get stuff so that I have 2 sets of wheels ready to go I've heard not to buy used rotors. So I guess looking for advice if I go down this path.

Remember price matters since this is a track bike. So no Braketech rotors or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
grendels_arm said:
If I decide to get stuff so that I have 2 sets of wheels ready to go I've heard not to buy used rotors. So I guess looking for advice if I go down this path.

Remember price matters since this is a track bike. So no Braketech rotors or anything like that.
I went the super-cheap route. On my '97, I have the OEM 3-spokes and a set of Marchesini aluminum 5-spokes. I just swap the rotors and wheel bearings over when I change 'em. :) (I have to swap over the speedo drive flangy thingy, too, if I want the speedometer to work as well.) Someday I might buy a new set of rotors and bearings to reduce the effort to swap rims, but for now it works well enough.

·
Registered
368 Posts
everything is compatible from wheel to wheel.

from experience :( , i would ONLY buy used rotors from someone i knew or someone that i fully trusted their reputation and offered to refund my money if there was a problem.

it's not that big of a deal in regards to effort or time, to transfer rotors and such to the new wheel so if you don't want to spend the money on two sets of rotors don't worry about it. i don't think i could justify the cost unless i was racing and needed a set in the pits ready to go at a moments notice.

·
Administrator
6,096 Posts
I have both.

I use the stock 5 spke on the street.
I use the 3 spoke on the track.
That way if I have use the "John Deere" option, I have no worries.

And I have extra rotors and bearings on both sets.

·
Registered
672 Posts
grendels_arm said:
I have bought a few sets of used rotors, and have yet to be disappointed.

These are the cheapest I've ever seen for a set of "snowflake" rotors.

If they are indeed in excellent condition, they are worth it. the aluminum carriers will shave some valuable weight over the stock "swiss cheese" rotors.

right here in your home forum....

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=1775

If you don't buy them.....maybe I will

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
How do snowflake rotors compare to the cast iron ones I have. What concerns me is when you have cast iron you use a certain brake pad. If you then switch to a steel rotor you may want/need to use a different pad.

·
Registered
672 Posts
If you have stock rotors, they are SS. Cast iron have certain qualities that are great for dedicated racebikes, but have the annoying tendency to rust on bikes that are not ridden daily.

The snowflake rotors are SS. "Snowflake" is just a general term used to describe the design of the aluminum carrier [the part that is bolted to the wheel, the rotor is secured to the carrier with rivets, or "buttons" be it semi, or full floating..]

The stock rotors on many year model Ducs have a steel carrier, which has round holes in it....hence the term "swiss cheese".

I'm at home, with no picture archive...or I'd show you the difference.

I believe the SS rotor material is the same on both styles.

I've never seen "cast iron specific" pads...but the bite may be noticeably different on them.

I run DP-RDP pads in both my bikes [single and 2 pin calipers] and am pleased with their braking performance on the stock rotors. I've thought about getting full floating buttons [I have friends who swear by them] but haven't gotten around to it yet.

What cast iron rotors have you been running on your bike?

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
If given the option or means, I'd go for the cast iron over SS every time. Ductile iron would be better but more $$$.

As mentioned, they do tent to rust up a bit but that's easily rectified - just ride the bike slowly with the brakes engaged for a short bit and the brake pads will wipe off the surface rust on the cast iron rotors.

You should use specific organic pads to get the most benefit but these days most sintered pads seem to work fine (and the old adage that sintered pads wear out iron rotors - while true - are not as much of a concern these days).

FWIW, I have 2 set of rims and 1 set of rotors.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
blade625CT said:
If you have stock rotors, they are SS. Cast iron have certain qualities that are great for dedicated racebikes, but have the annoying tendency to rust on bikes that are not ridden daily.

The snowflake rotors are SS. "Snowflake" is just a general term used to describe the design of the aluminum carrier [the part that is bolted to the wheel, the rotor is secured to the carrier with rivets, or "buttons" be it semi, or full floating..]

The stock rotors on many year model Ducs have a steel carrier, which has round holes in it....hence the term "swiss cheese".

I'm at home, with no picture archive...or I'd show you the difference.

I believe the SS rotor material is the same on both styles.

I've never seen "cast iron specific" pads...but the bite may be noticeably different on them.

I run DP-RDP pads in both my bikes [single and 2 pin calipers] and am pleased with their braking performance on the stock rotors. I've thought about getting full floating buttons [I have friends who swear by them] but haven't gotten around to it yet.

What cast iron rotors have you been running on your bike?
I have the cast iron rotors that came with SP models. Not sure when they were put on there. Former owner had them and they were on it I think when he got the bike. And they rust every time it slightly rains or the bike gets transported in the rain. Will rust fast. I run Ferodo CP911 pads. I was told to NOT run sintered pads on my cast iron rotors.

Here's a pic of my bike when the former owner had it so you can see the rotors.

Remember this is a dedicated track bike.

Attachments

·
Chilehead
6,870 Posts
I've got full-floating cast-iron Discacciatis on my ST2, with which I use Ferodo CP911* pads (on the street).

On my SS, I have the original SS with full-floater buttons and EBC-HH pads, but will probably go to CMC diks when the BSTs arrive.

I keep touring tires on the OEM rims, with a second set of disks/bearings, so it's a quick swap.

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.