Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I am selling my GT wheels on eBay (and here), and someone asked whether they would fit a Paul Smart. Anyone? Thanks.
Yes. they will fit.

·
Registered
985 Posts
It took me just a couple of hours to bolt a set of PS wheels onto the GT. The original wheels sit in the garage, in excellent shape, with very few miles on them. The original Michelins are still mounted, with the factory balance weights undisturbed. Anybody need a set?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I left that out, but I completely agree. :p
Major, How did you finally deal with the head shake problem? As I recall, you got pitched off of your bike with no warning.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Major, How did you finally deal with the head shake problem? As I recall, you got pitched off of your bike with no warning.
You recall correctly.

The bike was totalled by the insurance company (the frame was badly dented by the fork tubes slamming against it). I was able to spend a short time inspecting the bike in the yard it was held in. I was unable to find the slightest clue as to the cause of the tank-slapper. All the obvious items: tire inflation, wheel bearings, loose or broken suspension components; checked out fine.

I "dealt" with the problem by healing, and riding my BMW: the very picture of stability, if not agility. I'm still healing, but my ribs have gotten to the point where I can actually get through the entire day without drugs. This is a nice step forward.

I will be replacing the Duc, but my inability to find any cause has admittedly soured me somewhat on the GT. I suspect my replacement will be a Monster 695 or 1100. An "S" would be nice. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
It would be a crime against humanity to put those horrible, heavy GT wheels on a Paul Smart.
You can say that again, unless the rider is a masochist and gets a thrill out of tankslappers. I believe the PS stock spokers at least have aluminum rims. I would discourage the use of the stock spokers if good alloys can be fitted.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
You recall correctly.

The bike was totalled by the insurance company (the frame was badly dented by the fork tubes slamming against it). I was able to spend a short time inspecting the bike in the yard it was held in. I was unable to find the slightest clue as to the cause of the tank-slapper. All the obvious items: tire inflation, wheel bearings, loose or broken suspension components; checked out fine.

I "dealt" with the problem by healing, and riding my BMW: the very picture of stability, if not agility. I'm still healing, but my ribs have gotten to the point where I can actually get through the entire day without drugs. This is a nice step forward.

I will be replacing the Duc, but my inability to find any cause has admittedly soured me somewhat on the GT. I suspect my replacement will be a Monster 695 or 1100. An "S" would be nice. :rolleyes:

Damn, Major, sorry to hear that. I guess I missed your thread on that because I was busy getting butt raped by the Gub'ment (April 15th).

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=62599

Going through your thread, I see that you were using SS adjustable forks & alloy wheels, but with the stock GT rear suspension, which I assume is of the same dubious quality as the stock Sport 1000 monoposto (Sachs) unit. Somewhere I have read on here that (according to some experts) most tankslappers originate from from the rear suspension. The times that I experienced head shake (with the stock Sport mono suspension) were after I hit a bump at speed (bottoming out both the front & rear suspension), especially hitting one unexpectedly. Hopefully, with the Ohlins, Carrozzerias & Speedy Moto triple clamps, that won't happen anymore, knock on wood.

Also have read here that high handlebars (like the GT) are more prone to headshake than clip ons, FWIW.

Anyway, glad to hear you're on the mend. As a bourbon connoisseur, you should take a shot of Bookers or Parkers (each 120+ proof) for medicinal purposes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts