Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wondering whats the easiest way to learn to wheelie on a 696? Is it easy to get the front up on the 696?

Cheers

·
Registered
355 Posts
Does your bike have stock gearing of have you gone to a 14t front sprocket yet? I think the 696 would have enough power to wheelie with power alone in 2nd gear.

Either way, there are two ways to wheelie. Easiest is to just select first gear, ride along at a constant rpm. Roll off the throttle quickly then wack the throttle wide open. This will cause the front end to climb quite quickly so be careful. Once the front is up in the air and you get used to that, you can switch gears into 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.

The second way to is do a clutch wheelie. Ride along in 2nd gear around 4000 rpm. Pull in the clutch, quickly rev the engine to 8000 rpm and then quickly release the clutch. This will bring the front end up quickly as well. Feather the clutch to keep it balanced and to keep the front end from getting too high.

·
Registered
56 Posts
696 Duc wheelie.

Hi,

Just wondering whats the easiest way to learn to wheelie on a 696? Is it easy to get the front up on the 696?

Cheers
Hi
Get a giant rear sprocket +new chain like stunter dude did, but your speedometer will indicate incorrect speed+increase your miles too, unless you compensate with speedo healer.
Try control your clutch with 2 finger effort strength slip clutch 1st gear, roll on gas at same time. Most important thing practice in parking lot first and keep knees press tight again gas tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does your bike have stock gearing of have you gone to a 14t front sprocket yet? I think the 696 would have enough power to wheelie with power alone in 2nd gear.

Either way, there are two ways to wheelie. Easiest is to just select first gear, ride along at a constant rpm. Roll off the throttle quickly then wack the throttle wide open. This will cause the front end to climb quite quickly so be careful. Once the front is up in the air and you get used to that, you can switch gears into 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.

The second way to is do a clutch wheelie. Ride along in 2nd gear around 4000 rpm. Pull in the clutch, quickly rev the engine to 8000 rpm and then quickly release the clutch. This will bring the front end up quickly as well. Feather the clutch to keep it balanced and to keep the front end from getting too high.
No, no mods yet. Im assuming the 696 should have enough power without these mods?

I might give your first option a go, doesnt sound too difficult, hopefully...

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've always wanted to try a wheelie/stoppie, but just not on my bike! I don't want to dump it. Sooner or later, if you stunt, you WILL dump it. Even professional stunters go down once in a while.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi
Get a giant rear sprocket +new chain like stunter dude did, but your speedometer will indicate incorrect speed+increase your miles too, unless you compensate with speedo healer.
Try control your clutch with 2 finger effort strength slip clutch 1st gear, roll on gas at same time. Most important thing practice in parking lot first and keep knees press tight again gas tank.

The largest rear sprocket that is recommended for the M696 is a 47 tooth due to swingarm/chain clearance and NO..your speedometer will not read incorrectly no matter what you do with your gearing. The M696 reads your speed via a sensor mounted in the rear brake caliper bracket. As long as you don't change your rear wheel diameter you speed will read correctly.

As stock your final gearing is 15/45, I am currently running 14/46 and for a bunch of reasons, to me, it seems perfect for this bike.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Try to resist the temptation. I was at my dealer the other day in the service department and I saw this CBR with the front lights basically pointing to the ground. The tech said that the kid was doing a wheelie and let it down to hard, bottomed out the suspension and cracked the support that holds the lights on the frame. He wanted it to be fixed under warranty but because he was doing a wheelie it voided the warranty and he had to pay out of pocket.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi,

Cheers
The easiest way to learn is to get a jap bike. You really don't want to dump that thing. It's just retarded how expensive its going to be when you do, and you will if your just learning. The only wheelies I do are power wheelies coming out of a turn in second. Try those out, they are a lot more fun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've got the 696 with stock gearing, I've tried clutching and power wheelies, You really need to WORK to get it done, Power wheelie in second? Forget it, not with stock gearing.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It's all technique. 5500 rpm in second, just kind of cruising along, fan the clutch and gas it. Keep your foot over the rear brake. If it starts coming over, just barely lean on the brake a bit, too much will slam the front down, you don't want that. If you just barely lean on it, it will come back past the balance point. Practice. You don't need any stupid stunt gearing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see a wrecked 696 in the near future.
LOL, I'm not trying anything too crazy, initially I only want the front to climb very slightly (literally talking 10cms).

Anyways, so I have had a go in first gear, didnt go too hard but it didnt even come close to coming off the ground! Might need to give it abit more throttle, this is what I tried;

"Either way, there are two ways to wheelie. Easiest is to just select first gear, ride along at a constant rpm. Roll off the throttle quickly then wack the throttle wide open. This will cause the front end to climb quite quickly so be careful."

·
Registered
143 Posts
There's a You Tube video of someone explaining the proper technique for doing this. They're doing it on a 4 cylinder liter bike, but the technique for what they show transfers over. What most impressed me about the video was the guy was actually wearing a helmet, gloves, and jacket!

·
Registered
278 Posts
You don't need to change the gearing unless you plan on very slow wheels at 12. Hell I can wheelie a moped fine. Just take it very slow and get used the the rise of the bike. Personally I like the clutch, power wheelies are rpm happy, also pull the bike to your chest if you rely on the clutch and engine you will run out of rpms before you reach your balance point, but thas later . Start off just getting the wheel off the ground , then little higher and so on, do not go whack the throttle thinking you can do it like the stunters you will be on the ground. Also make sure you have the back brake covered and if you do get to that uncomfortable height (balance point) tap it . The balance point where you can ride the bike at any speed for long perios of time. It will take lots a practice, best if practice on a dirtbike. Good luck......

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ive half assed an attempt at a wheelie on my 696. Rolling in first at a constant rpm then shutting the throttle and whacking it back open only makes the front wheel light. Ive also *tried* clutching it up in second gear but I only revved it out to about 6K rpm and it didnt really bring it up. So if you want to wheelie a 696, your going to have to work a little for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ive half assed an attempt at a wheelie on my 696. Rolling in first at a constant rpm then shutting the throttle and whacking it back open only makes the front wheel light. Ive also *tried* clutching it up in second gear but I only revved it out to about 6K rpm and it didnt really bring it up. So if you want to wheelie a 696, your going to have to work a little for it.
Yeah same with me in first, havent tried in second yet...

And don't worry spyder, I'm not trying to do a stunt wheelie, like I said I initially just want the wheel to come off the ground slightly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does your bike have stock gearing of have you gone to a 14t front sprocket yet?
Where do I get one of these? Links anyone? It is proving to be too difficult with the stock gearing....

Was at the lights today and a guy on a R6 did a wheelie on me and it was quite unfortunate that I couldnt do one aswell lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
I retract my previous statement, I clutched it yesterday, and it came up high and fast. I musta hit the RPM's just right, kinda surprised me

1 - 20 of 21 Posts