Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta bring the bike in for this cuz it's the swingarm I'm replacing, but I am putting one under in the front, for sure. I have 3 sprockets for the back - stock, 1 over and 2 over. I am not sure what to do, I usually rely on torque more than HP (city, loud exhaust, etc.) so I THINK the 1-over is a good option, but I keep hearing it will be a wheelie machine. But again, most of my riding is based on torque range, not HP, i.e., not redlining. So if I go 1-under/1-over am I still creating something that's gonna whellie all over? I don't mind a small power wheelie as long as I can control it when I'm at 1/2-3/4 throttle...like a foot off the ground that responds to throttle and my weight to get me back on the ground where I should be.

God I'm old, I used to love wheelies LOL, well with 2-strokes anyways. Now all I think is license and control.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have run a 14/38 then went to a 14/39 which is more than likely 15(standard front) and 42 rear and it was a pig .
I lost too much top end and would rev too high so lost lots of that lovely torque so i have gone back to running a standard rear again with a 14 front but it wasn't a wheelie machine.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
14/39 is a difference of 10% in final gearing. You will be fine.

Remember, the bike will not do anything that you do not tell it to do. It is fully capable of catapulting you onto your back as it is. :D

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
14/39 is a difference of 10% in final gearing. You will be fine.

Remember, the bike will not do anything that you do not tell it to do. It is fully capable of catapulting you onto your back as it is. :D
OK that's soothing. I'm extremely conscious with the throttle and really more into the torque than super high rpm for my little 'blasts' (I nail it when I wanna go really fast, of course!...but I'm still in the break in period so that's rare).

What I really want is to have instant-on in the city at lower rpm's because that's the range I like. On-the-boil to me means just sitting at that edge where it's farting and about to come on, and THAT's where I think gearing makes most sense...if that makes any sense at all...so in the city I'm riding around literally in second gear to find that sweet spot at 60Kpm...I'd rather it be in 3rd at that speed, and I'd rather have a bit more the moment the clutch is out from a stop because this bike ain't like a jap bike, I can't/don't rev it and ride the clutch out, and I end up in an area that doesn't have a lot of oomph off the line, unless I bottom the throttle...which is fine, but I'd rather these things be more the way I want them and not have to bottom the throttle...more performance for less work and less a chance of looping it cuz I hit the throttle too hard and then decided to scratch my butt without realizing the front end was about to touch the moon LOL...

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I know exactly what you mean.

You will love it! Changing the gearing wakes the bike up nicely in precisely the way you want to use it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know exactly what you mean.

You will love it! Changing the gearing wakes the bike up nicely in precisely the way you want to use it.
Awesome, I can't wait to do it, once my brake kit gets here I can do swingarm/brake/gearing & chain all at once:)

Shawn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts