Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please weigh their Sport Classic OEM wheels next time the are off. I am looking to get the weight of the front wheel with rotors and the rear wheel without the cush/sprocket. Would love to have the wieght minus the tires and tube but if this is not possible just let me know what brand and tire size you have on and I will get that weight and subtract it from the total.

I need to compare aftermarket wheels for racing ..he class I will be entering requires aftermarket wheels to weigh the same or more than the OEM.
Thanks in advance and ride safe,
AAron

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
this includes tubes, since the OEM wheels require tubes, but excludes tires and rotors, and these are for the Sport 1000 and Paul Smart, (not GT):

Front: 13.29 lbs
Rear: 19.99 lbs

heavy. I don't think they make after market wheels this heavy. and if they did, who would buy them?

do you ride a different bike and need to get a set of heavier wheels, and if so are you thinking of getting a pair of SC wheels?

if so, may I suggest: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duca...ca439d1f1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245#ht_500wt_1688

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
old cagiva 3 spokes are going to be the closest

pm sent.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Ducatibomber, your question was about "Sport Classic OEM wheels." You don't identify WHICH Sport Classic wheels you are talking about: GT (steel rim) or Sport/PS (alloy rim). As DGJ says, he has given you the weight of Sport/PS wheels

Let me know if you need GT wheel weight, as I still have my OEM's in the garage.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

I needed the weights for a Sport Classic Paul Smart... so I now know what I am dealing with...
Ride safe,
AAron

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
See the attached document that someone posted up here ages ago and I kept, the weights mentioned (as far as I can remember) are for bare rims. I am running 10 spoke Aluminium Marchesinis on my bike now and the unsprung weight savings are 2.5kg for the front and 4.6kg for the rear - nearly half the weight of the Excels fiitted as standard, the difference in handling is extraordinary.

If you are after some OEM wheels my black Excels are up for grabs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Can someone please weigh their Sport Classic OEM wheels next time the are off. I am looking to get the weight of the front wheel with rotors and the rear wheel without the cush/sprocket. Would love to have the wieght minus the tires and tube but if this is not possible just let me know what brand and tire size you have on and I will get that weight and subtract it from the total.

I need to compare aftermarket wheels for racing ..he class I will be entering requires aftermarket wheels to weigh the same or more than the OEM.
Thanks in advance and ride safe,
AAron
If you have to race with the stock wheel weights, that would seem to be a distinct disadvantage to the Sport Classic compared to most other modern sportbikes, since they have heavy spokers and tubes with relatively heavy unsprung weight compared to alloys or carbon fiber (making them more prone to tankslappers). Are they trying to kill you out there?

Hope you can find another class to race in where they'll let you use tubeless alloys or carbon fiber -- a big improvement over the stock set up.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
no the rule is only based on the wheel weight not the tire and tubes included.

If you have to race with the stock wheel weights, that would seem to be a distinct disadvantage to the Sport Classic compared to most other modern sportbikes, since they have heavy spokers and tubes with relatively heavy unsprung weight compared to alloys or carbon fiber (making them more prone to tankslappers). Are they trying to kill you out there?

Hope you can find another class to race in where they'll let you use tubeless alloys or carbon fiber -- a big improvement over the stock set up.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
no the rule is only based on the wheel weight not the tire and tubes included.

I wouldn't think the tubes would add all that much weight, but the stock spokers weigh like boat anchors compared to the alloy and carbon fiber alternatives out there (see chart above). Maybe they feel that tankslappers in that class add to the excitement of racing?:eek:

I thought I saw some Sport 1000 racers on here using alloys and BSTs (Thunderduck?). What class do they race in?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
the same classes i race in with wera.
i didn't write the rules, i just follow them.
chris(thunderduc) races with ccs different rules.
my paul smart has done around 4k miles on track and i promise you that the wheels have nothing to do with any tank slappers.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't think the tubes would add all that.
much weight, but the stock spokers weigh like boat anchors compared to the alloy and carbon fiber alternatives out there (see chart above). Maybe they feel that tankslappers in that class add to the excitement of racing?:eek:

I thought I saw some Sport 1000 racers on here using alloys and BSTs (Thunderduck?). What class do they race in?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
the same classes i race in with wera.
i didn't write the rules, i just follow them.
chris(thunderduc) races with ccs different rules.
my paul smart has done around 4k miles on track and i promise you that the wheels have nothing to do with any tank slappers.:rolleyes:
To the contrary, it is speculated that heavier wheels may actually add to stability (albeit, while reducing agility). But, as ps1k is saying, I certainly know of no one who has proved that heavier wheels make the bike less stable.

There are lots of reasons why lighter wheels make a bike perform better on both track and steet, but I don't think avoiding tankslappers is one of them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts