Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Does wheel type impact your buying decision?

• Could not care less!

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • I would only buy spoked wheels

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I would only buy cast wheels

Votes: 5 45.5%

Wheel type for resale value

3K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  DarR 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am about to buy the Multi V4S and trying to decide between spoked wheels vs cast wheels. I am familiar with the pros and cons of each but wanted to know about the demand of the bike with either. My guess is that most people will not want to buy the cast wheels but I may be wrong. What do you think about this subject?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Maybe add a poll to the thread, that may help.

Personally I'd take the spoke wheels, but I'm more road/track focused anyways, and dont do any off road

#4 · (Edited)
If the wheels are on the motorcycle from the factory neither is going to make any difference in value for resale---Now--If you are going to ride on the street all the time & never off road I would go with cast wheels, -But If you are going to use the motorcycle off road a good bit I would go with spoked wheels --The spokes are better in the rough stuff as they dont bend as easily & can take a beating. The cast wheels believe it or not are made where they will bend in an impact they are soft--This is done so if you hit lets say a bad pothole on the road the cast wheel will bend but they are not brittle so it should not break & come apart--this is done so you dont die if a wheel shatters.

Reactions: Xyst and Cupero
#8 ·
Forged or CF would sway me... spoked and cast are both just there and don't add value.

Reactions: DarR
#11 ·
I ordered mine with cast early April, mid-June I was offered to either switch to spokes or wait for the 2022 bikes to arrive, pretty much. At that point I decided to go with the spoke wheels and enjoy my 2021 season rather than getting a 2022 bike before winter.

I was concerned with the weight of the wheel over the cast ones, combine with the fact that I didnt know what to expect from the 19" front wheel. Turns out, on a bike that heavy, it doesnt make much difference.

I dont think it would make much difference on resale value, although the spoke wheels are listed at $2.000 on their own, if purchased from the Ducati performance catalog.

There's no forged magnesium or alu wheel options on the Multi V4, nor CF.

Reactions: brianc
#13 ·
+1 to what chouch said, go by aesthetics and get what you want. Weight difference is there but it's negligible IMHO and tire choices will be exactly the same. I dunno if spoked will be more durable on potholes / dirt / rocks than cast - I lightly dinged a rim on a spoked GS wheel on a really bad pothole in NorCal, enough to cause a slow leak - so I think go which whatever one you like. I got the V4S sport which automagically has cast wheels but I wouldn't have minded spokes, but I like the little red stripe things on the cast. That alone makes it worth it because that is automagically faster.

#14 ·
There will be plenty of forged and cf options for the only V4 multi I'd be interested in... in about 6 months.

I'd not be surprised if my BST's bolt right up.

#15 ·
There will be plenty of forged and cf options for the only V4 multi I'd be interested in... in about 6 months.

I'd not be surprised if my BST's bolt right up.
That would be a pleasant surprise, I'd like to get a Multi SP (or w/e they call it) but I like my Oz Gass wheels too :)

#17 ·
I took heavyweight bikes on dirt for quite a few years (including the Multi, and my Tiger still has knobbies fitted even though I've barely ridden it this year)... but all that weight makes them not much fun so I got a lighter bike for anything more challenging than well maintained dirt roads. On an offroad bike I definitely prefer spoked (I do think they can handle the abuse MUCH better than cast) - but they're a pita to clean and are heavy so I don't like them for road focused bikes.

#18 ·
Oz wheels made my Skyhook work dramatically better. CF on the street, imho, is a no no....best on track. A friends brother with an S100RR with carbon wheels hit a pothole at around 70 and the wheel shattered and sent a slice of it flying past his helmet....before he crashed,,,wasn't hurt, but CF is very brittle.

#20 ·
I would NEVER use Carbon Fiber wheels on the street----On a racing motorcycle maybe but remember the factory teams that run them may only use them for one race then replace them.

#22 · (Edited)
Agreed. I would never use velocity stacks, flapper delete, or a full exhaust system with O2 delete and a rexxer tune on the street either. Think of the children for gods sake.

Better tell all the guys rocking CF wheels that they should pitch them after the first use. There'll be a lot of guys waiting at their garbage cans...

#23 ·
From Ducati.org.--------

Carbon Fiber Wheels

I can agree with Tye for once —forged aluminum would be my choice. Magnesium is lighter but it's highly reactive when you have a chip in the paint and it's exposed to moisture in the air.

I have over 20 years of analytical and practical experience in failure analysis of high-speed rotating machinery, so here’s my opinion on carbon fiber wheels, for what’s it’s worth.

Simply stated, carbon fiber composite material is not a suitable material for wheels because they can—and do—fail catastrophically. For this reason alone they are not as safe (today) as a metal wheel.

There is no question in my mind that today’s carbon fiber wheels are stronger than their alloy wheel counterparts. Their main drawback is that they can be damaged internally in a number of ways, so just a visual inspection is insufficient to assure their continued safety.

At its strength limit, carbon fiber reinforced resin cracks—which causes it to loose structural integrity, whereas metal stretches and then breaks after the amount of stretch becomes too great.

It’s obvious that a dented, cracked or bent metal wheel has been damaged, and it’s easily determined using X-ray and liquid penetrant inspection whenever you have fabrication problems such as casting voids or internal cracks caused by fatigue failure or crash damage.

I would be mainly concerned about damage that can occur after the carbon fiber wheel leaves the factory, and I’m particularly worried about undetected damage caused by conventional tire mounting equipment and untrained operators. To my knowledge, they’re currently all untrained operators since the wheel manufacturers have not provided any specific guidelines on how — and how not — to mount tires on their wheels.

Further, damage from road hazards will not always be to visible surfaces and (again, to my knowledge) the manufacturers provide no useful inspection methods or acceptance criteria to the owner.

What’s a good criteria for determining significant damage to carbon fiber? We don’t really know yet. For example, Boeing designs and builds a lot of carbon fiber structures defines Barely Visible Damage as impact damage that results in a 0.10 inch long defect that is visible from three feet away. Boeing says that the impact that causes Barely Visible Damage is sufficient to affect the structural integrity of the underlying CF structure.

That said, if I hit a large object or pothole in the road I’d be very concerned about continuing to ride on a carbon fiber wheel. I’d certainly avoid buying a second-hand carbon fiber wheel or any wheel involved in a crash.

I'm not alone in my opinion. Asked recently whether Ferrari would use carbon fiber for structural elements of their production cars, Ferrari chief executive Amedeo Felisa said that its implementation will, for the time being at least, remain limited to the Enzo stratosphere and not used in its production models. According to Felisa,

"Nobody today has a real understanding of what happens if you damage a carbon fiber structure."

Given its decades of experience with the material in F1 and the hundreds of on-track crashes that it surely accumulated over the years, if Ferrari doesn't understand it, we struggle to imagine who does.

Ref: Damage and Failure of Composite Materials, Talreja & Singh, Cambridge Press

#30 ·
I think I read that same post when I was shopping for wheels in 2017... and it was old then.

#24 ·
you have quoted an unknown source from another bike forum....

big deal, just because you agree with him/her doesn't mean they are correct.....

My brand new Ducati road bike came STANDARD with Carbon Fibre wheels, which means
A. Ducati believe they are suitable for road use (or they are opening themselves up for serious litigation, especially in the US where you sue for anything....)
B. The federal govt. department responsible for approving bikes for road use also believe they are suitable.

Times change, products develop and improve, I used to be in the "never use C/F wheels on the street!" camp but BMW and Ducati both offer them as std equipment, the Ducati ones are BST, not sure what the BMW ones are but if manufacturers like that are happy with them i'm not going to take some blowhards cut and paste advice from a forum, any one on any forum, including me for what it's worth.....

#26 ·
That makes as much sense as me disregarding your nonsense because you're stoned on maple syrup....

Which i am, because you are.....

My forum name goes back a loooong way and was an inside joke at the time, i wouldn't expect you to get it, it's probably too complex for you

The "Concise" info you speak of is cut and paste from another forum, it's someone else's opinion, that certainly doesn't make @rennsportmotorrad any more esteemed or qualified, it shows he can use his mouse....

#27 ·
I vote spoked wheels.

One time years ago was riding my bicycle home along a bike path, some guy that smelled like a brewery came over to my side and we hit head on. Being 20 something I bounced fine, but my front wheel was somewhat taco'ed.
I took it off and was able to stomp it back to where it would at least turn between the forks, put it back on, and rode home.

Good thing it had tube tires, and it was way before disc brakes for bicycles.

I guess this would not likely work for a motorcycle. :rolleyes:

#28 ·
Guys I did copy & paste that info from another forum---I am sure I am not the only person that has done this. This came from another Ducati Forum that I trust just as much as this one. --I am not saying that anyone needs to take everything I post as the perfect answer. --None of us knows everything & as long as you continue to learn something new your going in the right direction.--Again this is my O,P,O. I would not use CF rims on the street, I have personally seen these come apart by hitting a bad pothole--Again we hope this never happens but it can.
C/F/ wheels are very light & strong given that they do not sustain a sharp impact --They are brittle and do not handle sharp impacts well --They can & will crack & once that happens it's only a matter of time until they shatter & if you dont catch it --your ass is going to be on the ground.
Cast wheels are made for street use & if & when they hit that same pothole they are designed to bend--but they normally do not suffer from a catastrophic failure. --you replace them---you would probably notice the bent wheel before you noticed a crack -( much more obvious).
\--Spokes again are used more on off road applications as they are much harder to bend and in off road use the rim's do take a beating --Cast / alloy rims used a lot off-road you would expect to be replacing the way more often.
Again It's your motorcycle you ask a question & the others of us here try to help & give you good info----But in the end it's your decision --not ours --use your own judgement. --

Reactions: loony888
#33 ·
CF on the street over forged AL is as much about bling as anything. They DO offer an impressive sotp impact to performance but is it worth the price difference? Probably not if you don’t also like the look (and there are some great looking forged wheels out there too)

#34 ·
I didn't vote as forged isn't an option that's available for the Multi V4.
FWIW, I would never buy a Multi V4 in its current format. It's become a pig but that's just my opinion. YMMV.
However, I'm optimistic and looking forward to Ducati's solution to turn that around.

#35 ·
I didn't vote as forged isn't an option that's available for the Multi V4.
FWIW, I would never buy a Multi V4 in its current format. It's become a pig but that's just my opinion. YMMV.
However, I'm optimistic and looking forward to Ducati's solution to turn that around.
I dont think they have any plan to turn things around. At this point the V4 is born as a heavy touring bike and not much can change that. I mean, sure enough you can slap a 17" in the front, add carbon bits, call it Pikes Peak or Sport, invite a handfull of journalist to Italy to test an early version and have a great marketing campaign around it. But the bottom line will remain the same touring oriented fatso.
If Pikes Peak was still a thing for bikes, I doubt Ducati would be running the Multi V4 in any sort of shape.

I'm optimistic Ducati will drop the V4 in its 200hp glory in the SuperSport, or a simple set of hard luggage for the SF would convince me to trade my Multi V4 :D

Reactions: DaveK
#38 · (Edited)
I really like the SFV4 but it lacks "Tuono Like" wind protection. otherwise, I would have traded both bikes (MTS1260PP & M1200R) for one.
I'm not locked-into the Desmo either although I would prefer it because of the power. Notwithstanding, I'm sure there's more juice to be had with the new Ducati V4 Granturismo engine: Perhaps not 200hp but 180hp should be achievable. Must have forged wheels however (p.s. cheap plug to get back on topic) :sneaky:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.