Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Does wheel type impact your buying decision?

• Could not care less!

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • I would only buy spoked wheels

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I would only buy cast wheels

Votes: 5 45.5%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am about to buy the Multi V4S and trying to decide between spoked wheels vs cast wheels. I am familiar with the pros and cons of each but wanted to know about the demand of the bike with either. My guess is that most people will not want to buy the cast wheels but I may be wrong. What do you think about this subject?

Thanks!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Maybe add a poll to the thread, that may help.

Personally I'd take the spoke wheels, but I'm more road/track focused anyways, and dont do any off road

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
If the wheels are on the motorcycle from the factory neither is going to make any difference in value for resale---Now--If you are going to ride on the street all the time & never off road I would go with cast wheels, -But If you are going to use the motorcycle off road a good bit I would go with spoked wheels --The spokes are better in the rough stuff as they dont bend as easily & can take a beating. The cast wheels believe it or not are made where they will bend in an impact they are soft--This is done so if you hit lets say a bad pothole on the road the cast wheel will bend but they are not brittle so it should not break & come apart--this is done so you dont die if a wheel shatters.

Reactions: Xyst and Cupero

·
Registered
99' 996
366 Posts
Never buy anything and take into account resell unless you are trying to flip it. Buy what you want to enjoy. It either will or wont affect value when it comes to resell. And really magnesium are the only thing going to get anyones attention.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Forged or CF would sway me... spoked and cast are both just there and don't add value.

Reactions: DarR

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Forged wheels are the bomb!

My 2016 has the Enkei cast alloy wheels which look nice enough but i'm chasing a set of factory forged wheels for it

CF wheels? on a multi? nah

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I ordered mine with cast early April, mid-June I was offered to either switch to spokes or wait for the 2022 bikes to arrive, pretty much. At that point I decided to go with the spoke wheels and enjoy my 2021 season rather than getting a 2022 bike before winter.

I was concerned with the weight of the wheel over the cast ones, combine with the fact that I didnt know what to expect from the 19" front wheel. Turns out, on a bike that heavy, it doesnt make much difference.

I dont think it would make much difference on resale value, although the spoke wheels are listed at $2.000 on their own, if purchased from the Ducati performance catalog.

Forged wheels are the bomb!

My 2016 has the Enkei cast alloy wheels which look nice enough but i'm chasing a set of factory forged wheels for it

CF wheels? on a multi? nah
There's no forged magnesium or alu wheel options on the Multi V4, nor CF.

·
Registered
519 Posts
+1 to what chouch said, go by aesthetics and get what you want. Weight difference is there but it's negligible IMHO and tire choices will be exactly the same. I dunno if spoked will be more durable on potholes / dirt / rocks than cast - I lightly dinged a rim on a spoked GS wheel on a really bad pothole in NorCal, enough to cause a slow leak - so I think go which whatever one you like. I got the V4S sport which automagically has cast wheels but I wouldn't have minded spokes, but I like the little red stripe things on the cast. That alone makes it worth it because that is automagically faster.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
There will be plenty of forged and cf options for the only V4 multi I'd be interested in... in about 6 months.

I'd not be surprised if my BST's bolt right up.

·
Registered
778 Posts
There will be plenty of forged and cf options for the only V4 multi I'd be interested in... in about 6 months.

I'd not be surprised if my BST's bolt right up.
That would be a pleasant surprise, I'd like to get a Multi SP (or w/e they call it) but I like my Oz Gass wheels too :)

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
That would be a pleasant surprise, I'd like to get a Multi SP (or w/e they call it) but I like my Oz Gass wheels too :)
Agree... and Ducati has actually been pretty good over the years at not changing a good design - so there is hope that they'll be a straight fit or maybe just need brake disk offset spacers or something simple like that.

Reactions: iamzombie

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I took heavyweight bikes on dirt for quite a few years (including the Multi, and my Tiger still has knobbies fitted even though I've barely ridden it this year)... but all that weight makes them not much fun so I got a lighter bike for anything more challenging than well maintained dirt roads. On an offroad bike I definitely prefer spoked (I do think they can handle the abuse MUCH better than cast) - but they're a pita to clean and are heavy so I don't like them for road focused bikes.

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
808 Posts
Oz wheels made my Skyhook work dramatically better. CF on the street, imho, is a no no....best on track. A friends brother with an S100RR with carbon wheels hit a pothole at around 70 and the wheel shattered and sent a slice of it flying past his helmet....before he crashed,,,wasn't hurt, but CF is very brittle.

·
Smut peddler
1,245 Posts
Carbon fibre. Otherwise you have no reason to be smug at the coffee shop.

Reactions: Laker213

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I would NEVER use Carbon Fiber wheels on the street----On a racing motorcycle maybe but remember the factory teams that run them may only use them for one race then replace them.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts